PDA

View Full Version : Home field advantage

Ti Designs
09-25-2015, 07:59 AM
I just spent a few days in Florida, rented a good bike and found a few good group rides. I showed up thinking I have some pretty good flat speed - something I've worked on this season. What I found was that everyone there has good flat speed - it's just what they do. Anywhere you go, the locals have their own version of the home field advantage. Here in the Boston area there are no signs telling you what road you're on, and there's no logic to how the roads are laid out, and the pothole is our state flower. Outsiders can't ride fast 'cause they have no idea how to get there. In Colorado they have really long hills and no air, but their real home field advantage is all the friendly cyclists who ride up next to you while you're climbing a hill and try to talk to you.

What's your home field advantage?

weisan
09-25-2015, 08:04 AM
Knowing where all the tacos joints are along the route.

echelon_john
09-25-2015, 08:06 AM
Swimming holes.

jmoore
09-25-2015, 08:34 AM
1. riding into a headwind
2. riding in the heat

guido
09-25-2015, 08:34 AM
... the pothole is our state flower...
Nice!

makoti
09-25-2015, 08:42 AM
Knowing how to play in traffic without it freaking you out. I'd prefer x-ray vision, but that's what I got.

texbike
09-25-2015, 08:45 AM
The ability to ingest large amounts of BBQ before a sprint...

Texbike

sandyrs
09-25-2015, 08:47 AM
Per Ti's original point about the illogical layout of Boston-area roads, I guess my home field advantage is being able to use Google maps to figure out what roads are ridable when looking at a dense map where many routes are likely to either end in a highway, be riddled with stoplights and stop signs, or dead-end at a subdivision/church/school/conservation land.

Frankwurst
09-25-2015, 08:47 AM
Cold. The only thing that separates us from the North Pole is a barbed wire fence. :beer:

Tickdoc
09-25-2015, 08:53 AM
Friendly drivers in big 'ol trucks that are constantly yelling encouragement and waving to let you know you are "number one":hello:

Dirtdiggler
09-25-2015, 08:55 AM
Here in NE Ohio are the potholes.

soulspinner
09-25-2015, 09:11 AM
Got a family member who raced many moons ago and does 3-4000 miles a year where its bone flat. He does impressive centuries there. Rode with me in the fingerlakes and was dead after 40 miles. All he could utter in the second hour was "I cant believe these hills!" :p

zennmotion
09-25-2015, 09:20 AM
In the DC burbs, it's spotting diplomatic license plates early enough to anticipate an incompetent driver, or a maniac who just doesn't care. The excitement is guessing which one it will be:eek::eek:

inlimbo87
09-25-2015, 09:50 AM
Being from Florida I'd say its primarily riding the flats (as you mentioned), also tolerance to the summer humidity and heat.

Ti Designs
09-25-2015, 10:17 AM
Being from Florida I'd say its primarily riding the flats (as you mentioned), also tolerance to the summer humidity and heat.

In Florida it's speed, speed, speed. I did the tuesday night "A ride" which was 26 miles. It started out kinda tame, stopped for a few lights and took a little less than an hour. Since I had no idea where I was or how to get home, I didn't have the option of getting dropped, which was good motivation... On my local rides I'll often drop back for riders we've gapped and tow them back in. In Florida I learned not to do that, 'cause I'm not getting across any large gaps at that speed. Much like climbing in Colorado and not being able to talk to the guy next to me, it was humbling.

The real home field advantage was that they rent bikes with compact gearing.

avalonracing
09-25-2015, 10:31 AM
I'm in an area of Maryland with short but somewhat steep hills. I took my bike to Charleston SC and found a group ride, it was flat and fast but I was fit enough to hang on but someone mentioned the hill was coming up that people hate (because it is a hill). It was 1% steeper than a false flat. If any of those riders would ride on my home turf they would die. On the other hand I went to Vermont and being a decent climber I thought I would be fine. I had a strong recreational rider who was ten years my senior (in his 50's) hand me my ass on one of the climbs over the gap. Nothing like home turf.

redir
09-25-2015, 10:42 AM
We always sprint for town and county signs so knowing where those are is a big advantage to ego boosting unofficial sprint points.

Joachim
09-25-2015, 10:45 AM
I'm in an area of Maryland with short but somewhat steep hills. I took my bike to Charleston SC and found a group ride, it was flat and fast but I was fit enough to hang on but someone mentioned the hill was coming up that people hate (because it is a hill). It was 1% steeper than a false flat. If any of those riders would ride on my home turf they would die. On the other hand I went to Vermont and being a decent climber I thought I would be fine. I had a strong recreational rider who was ten years my senior (in his 50's) hand me my ass on one of the climbs over the gap. Nothing like home turf.

Which ride was this? The Trek store ride from Mount Pleasant?

m_sasso
09-25-2015, 11:04 AM
In Vancouver, BC, I would have to say, it is staying focused on the ride. There are so many amazing views and wonderful distractions it is very easy to drift into another dream. Water, mountains, and forests there are not to many nicer places to live and the combination is often overwhelming.

benb
09-25-2015, 11:12 AM
The real home field advantage was that they rent bikes with compact gearing.

LOL.. that is quite amusing in Florida. You'd almost think everyone would be on 1x10 setups with just a 53 ring in the front but I don't even know if that is a thing.

CampyorBust
09-25-2015, 11:18 AM
I never found the thin air in Colorado to be a disadvantage, actually I didn't feel it at all. Maybe I was just so stoked to ride in such an amazing place. People were super friendly. I like Colorado. I would take their thin air over the mucky yucky humidity of New England any day. Riding in crippling humidity is without a doubt a home field advantage for New Englanders. Oh and still putting in the road miles on unplowed roads during a snowstorm on a fatty in full storm trooper gear.

EPIC! Stratton
09-25-2015, 11:53 AM
Having moved to New England from Florida, I agree with this. In FL, it's a lot of flat fast riding (though not everywhere - we had plenty of hills in Tallahassee and N. FL).

professerr
09-25-2015, 12:00 PM
The home field advantage in the SF Bay area is that there are 335 perfect riding days a year, 20 crappy days, and only 10 un-rideable days. So we're always just in better shape :p

EPIC! Stratton
09-25-2015, 12:05 PM
The home field advantage in the SF Bay area is that there are 335 perfect riding days a year, 20 crappy days, and only 10 un-rideable days. So we're always just in better shape :p

Well that assumes that you go over the hills rather than around them ;)

oldpotatoe
09-25-2015, 12:06 PM
I just spent a few days in Florida, rented a good bike and found a few good group rides. I showed up thinking I have some pretty good flat speed - something I've worked on this season. What I found was that everyone there has good flat speed - it's just what they do. Anywhere you go, the locals have their own version of the home field advantage. Here in the Boston area there are no signs telling you what road you're on, and there's no logic to how the roads are laid out, and the pothole is our state flower. Outsiders can't ride fast 'cause they have no idea how to get there. In Colorado they have really long hills and no air, but their real home field advantage is all the friendly cyclists who ride up next to you while you're climbing a hill and try to talk to you.

What's your home field advantage?

Colorado? Like the Colorado just west of Kansas, next to Utah and all? :eek: friendly??

avalonracing
09-25-2015, 12:11 PM
Which ride was this? The Trek store ride from Mount Pleasant?

Actually that sounds familiar, I think so.

Ti Designs
09-25-2015, 12:34 PM
I've raced SuperWeek a few times, their home field advantage is being able to race day after day on nothing but bratwurst and beer.

Tandem Rider
09-25-2015, 01:17 PM
I've raced SuperWeek a few times, their home field advantage is being able to race day after day on nothing but bratwurst and beer.

Millers and Brats for 2 weeks of Crits, you gotta go train just to keep from getting fat. :eek:

Joachim
09-25-2015, 01:21 PM
Actually that sounds familiar, I think so.

Next time contact me if you are ever here again. There are others.

pdmtong
09-25-2015, 04:22 PM
With most rides getting a minimum 1000'/10 miles, I can go uphill all day.
Everyone around here as well.

PaMtbRider
09-25-2015, 04:41 PM
My home field advantage is knowing what is up the road. We have very diverse terrain. Only thing we lack are big climbs. We can be climbing a 8-10% grade, around the next corner it might level out or it might go to 19%.

Ride first....work later!!!!!

jr59
09-25-2015, 05:22 PM
I guess they knew how to fall on their pedals. Headwinds at speed on the flats for mile after mile is fun.

But I do understand, b/c the first time I went for a ride in Atlanta, I puked in a Buckhead front yard! I had just completed a double century in fl, and puked in the short hills of Buckhead. It took me a while to learn to climb those short steep hills.

leftyfreak
09-25-2015, 05:59 PM
I guess they knew how to fall on their pedals. Headwinds at speed on the flats for mile after mile is fun.

But I do understand, b/c the first time I went for a ride in Atlanta, I puked in a Buckhead front yard! I had just completed a double century in fl, and puked in the short hills of Buckhead. It took me a while to learn to climb those short steep hills.

I know you jest, but Ti would tell you that flat speed is all about the quads over the top of the pedal stroke. There's more than one way to pedal a bike. ;)

Of course, there is a good chance that the other riders were all doping. :D

moose8
09-25-2015, 08:19 PM
Knowing there is beer at home.

aramis
09-25-2015, 08:22 PM

There are so many amazing climbers in the Bay Area.

I'm not one of them. :p

Ti Designs
09-25-2015, 08:48 PM
Of course, there is a good chance that the other riders were all doping. :D

Doper boy was faster than anyone I rode with in Florida. I kept up because I had my own bike with a monster gear and carbon wheels. In Florida I had a rental bike with compact gears, I kept up with them 'cause I didn't know how to get back to the shop without them...

weisan
09-26-2015, 03:52 PM

Me too!
https://tadpolerider2.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/granny-gear-on-bicycle.jpg

Russian bear
09-26-2015, 04:29 PM
Much like some members from CA, here in Tucson we have great weather year around if you're willing to wake up early in the summer. There are a ton of strong riders and our saturday group ride is a little famous.

Web1111a
09-26-2015, 05:52 PM
Doper boy was faster than anyone I rode with in Florida. I kept up because I had my own bike with a monster gear and carbon wheels. In Florida I had a rental bike with compact gears, I kept up with them 'cause I didn't know how to get back to the shop without them...

As I recall you said you have a lousy sense of direction when you did the skyline drive Harriman bear mountain ride

On the other hand it improves your cycling because of fear of being dropped
:beer::beer::beer::)

pff
09-28-2015, 12:11 AM
I took a trip to norcal recently and went on some group rides. People never tell you where the sprints are, even if you ask; they guard this information jealously like trade secrets or grandpappy's BBQ sauce recipe.

to answer the original question, my homefield advantage is knowing which way the wind blows and when (for targeting strava segments)

Bob Ross
09-28-2015, 08:55 AM
In Florida it's speed, speed, speed.

Reminds me of a shop ride I went on in Kona, HI. Mostly triathletes, so they didn't know dookie about drafting or pacelines. They roll out of the shop parking lot, take a super easy jaunty pace 1/2 mile to the highway, and then as soon as they turn south on the main road it's balls out every man for themselves. The way they "rotated" (sic) was when the guy in front got too tired to maintain the pace everyone just went around him. Lather rinse repeat.

Since I had no idea where I was or how to get home, I didn't have the option of getting dropped, which was good motivation...

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got when I first joined the New York Cycle Club ~10 years ago was "Ride with people much faster than you...and don't bring a cue sheet."

Much like climbing in Colorado and not being able to talk to the guy next to me, it was humbling.
I never found the thin air in Colorado to be a disadvantage, actually I didn't feel it at all. Maybe I was just so stoked to ride in such an amazing place.

I rode in CO for the first time just this past August (Keystone area, starting at ~9,300') and agree that the thin air didn't seem as much of an impediment to cycling as I was expecting. What was surprising though was how difficult executing any changes in effort were: We could cruise along pretty hard and not feel like we were at extreme altitudes, but when you decided "okay, let's kick it up a notch" if you went too hard too fast you'd just crap out after 50 meters. The place I noticed it most was when drinking while riding; those 2 seconds when you're swallowing water and not inhaling felt like 3 minutes under water.

soulspinner
09-29-2015, 08:38 AM
Me too!
https://tadpolerider2.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/granny-gear-on-bicycle.jpg

:p

AJosiahK
09-29-2015, 08:43 AM
Local trails and where all the good lines are I guess for me.

I'm still looking for that perfect burrito :confused:

Rkmears
09-29-2015, 04:04 PM
Cold. The only thing that separates us from the North Pole is a barbed wire fence. :beer:

In addition to the cold, handling multiple pub stops for hydration, right Frankwurst?

rounder
09-29-2015, 09:01 PM
In Harford County MD if you are going to a road with a church in the name (i.e. Harmony Church Road, it means you are going to the top of a hill. If there is a mill in the name, it means you are going to the bottom.