PDA

View Full Version : Ritchey Road Logic

cv1966
09-24-2015, 07:46 PM
Anyone have experience with Richey Road Logic? Looking for moderately priced steel bike with room for 28's. Thanks!

Cicli
09-24-2015, 07:47 PM
Yeah, its a bitchen bike.

Get one.

sessl
09-24-2015, 07:50 PM
Have a steel Break Away and even it rides dreamy...

Lanternrouge
09-24-2015, 08:02 PM
Have a steel Break Away and even it rides dreamy...

The Break Away makes you want the Road Logic too since it's prettier. I agree the Break Away rides nice.

Netdewt
09-24-2015, 08:23 PM
I wish I could afford a Ti Breakaway. I'd totally ride a Road Logic.

Peter P.
09-24-2015, 08:34 PM
It's probably the best deal going for a steel frame.

However, I question the frame's ability to fit a 28mm tire, especially through the fork. Most carbon forks have scant or no clearance for 28's, so verify before you buy.

zennmotion
09-24-2015, 08:45 PM
It's probably the best deal going for a steel frame.

However, I question the frame's ability to fit a 28mm tire, especially through the fork. Most carbon forks have scant or no clearance for 28's, so verify before you buy.

If the OP is referring to the new 2.0 version with carbon fork, according to Ritchey's own description on their website
"With room for many 700x28c tires and classic Ritchey geometry, the Road Logic is ideally suited for long, epic days in the saddle on roads that are not always paved..."
http://ritcheylogic.com/frames/road/road-logic-frame.html?gclid=CIi7htmHkcgCFQWSfgodgZcERQ

I also have an original Ritchey Road Logic steel fork and there is plenty of room to spare for 28mm tires, the brake shoe slots on my Shimano 6500s are almost bottomed out.

cv1966
09-24-2015, 08:55 PM
If the OP is referring to the new 2.0 version with carbon fork....

Thanks for the clarification. I was referring to the 2.0.

zennmotion
09-24-2015, 09:11 PM
I loves me my breakaway cross for gravel, just sayin'. Sometimes those scenic gravel roads require some travel to get to. And I do lots of rough roads with 28s, but sometimes it's good to be able to let go of the brakes with 35s. I have no issue with canti brakes for the breakaway but that's a minority retrogrouch opinion, I'll be shouted down in here. For a road-riding cross bike, there's always linear pull Vbrakes that stop as well as calipers without moving to discs. For mixed surfaces and (dry) maintained roads 28s are fine, but if new gravel has been put down or if its wet you probably want to ride larger tires than 28s IMO. But I'd love to ride the new Logic as an all-rounder.

cv1966
09-24-2015, 09:52 PM
I loves me my breakaway cross for gravel, just sayin'. Sometimes those scenic gravel roads require some travel to get to. And I do lots of rough roads with 28s, but sometimes it's good to be able to let go of the brakes with 35s. I have no issue with canti brakes for the breakaway but that's a minority retrogrouch opinion, I'll be shouted down in here. For a road-riding cross bike, there's always linear pull Vbrakes that stop as well as calipers without moving to discs. For mixed surfaces and (dry) maintained roads 28s are fine, but if new gravel has been put down or if its wet you probably want to ride larger tires than 28s IMO. But I'd love to ride the new Logic as an all-rounder.

Agreed. I have been using my cx bike (canti's) for long gravel rides but I was thinking the Ritchey steel would be more comfortable and more versatile. It is nice running 32's though, which wouldn't fit on the road logic.

fogrider
09-24-2015, 11:28 PM
I had a road logic and breakaway...I liked the road logic better. the breakaway took about 25 minutes to assemble and pretty much the same to pack. I don't travel enough...if I'm had to do it again, I'm thinking swiss cross would be the way to go.

zennmotion
09-25-2015, 08:48 AM
Agreed. I have been using my cx bike (canti's) for long gravel rides but I was thinking the Ritchey steel would be more comfortable and more versatile. It is nice running 32's though, which wouldn't fit on the road logic.

Not trying to advocate for a CX rig, but pointing out that "comfort" (I assume you mean road feel and not fit) comes from the tires, not so much the frame, so a typical steel road frame with 28s at 80-90psi is not going to be as comfortable as a stiff Al CX frame with 32s at 60-70psi, it's just not. And obviously a bike with a wider range of potential tire sizes is more versatile, not less. In my opinion, the most important difference comes down to the brakes. But I get the attraction of the Ritchey Road- it's a great bike, and in the end, there is nothing very rational about the way most of us choose a new bike.:beer:

cv1966
09-25-2015, 12:29 PM
Maybe I should look at the Swiss Cross disc. It's so much fun going down the rabbit hole!

fishwhisperer
09-25-2015, 03:37 PM
had one once. rode it all the time and loved it. sold it during a downsizing at the misses' behest and regret it. highly recommended.

Tony Edwards
09-25-2015, 07:30 PM
Though I don't own a Ritchey, I have endless esteem for the man and the marque. I can't think of many other companies that have consistently made such unpretentious, high-quality products over such a prolonged timeframe. IMO the major reason we don't think of Tom Ritchey in the same breath as Ugo De Rosa and Dario Pegoretti is that he's a straightforward American who has chosen to apply his talents to making accessible bikes and components rather than hand-built exotica.

Cicli
09-25-2015, 07:34 PM
Though I don't own a Ritchey, I have endless esteem for the man and the marque. I can't think of many other companies that have consistently made such unpretentious, high-quality products over such a prolonged timeframe. IMO the major reason we don't think of Tom Ritchey in the same breath as Ugo De Rosa and Dario Pegoretti is that he's a straightforward American who has chosen to apply his talents to making accessible bikes and components rather than hand-built exotica.

Well said. Ritchey is good stuff.