PDA

View Full Version : Two things. Both mean I'm screwed.

Tom
05-16-2006, 09:29 AM
(1) Why, when it's 47 degrees and cloudy, my feet are numb my hands are cold and my torso is chilled am I sweating like hell off the top of my head? I'm dead when it heats up, I tell you. Dead. I usually sweat a lot in the heat but now I'm sweating in the cold.

(2) Kind of like TT's thread about dorks, one of the Sunday group of has-beens and never-weres told me I should buy a license and try racing. So I bought a license and this weekend I try racing. I'm dead. I can't climb and I'm riding a hilly race. What a moron. I rode a hilly 42 this morning and I am just not ready. I can go OK but if those freaks start cranking one roller after the other it's going to get ugly. Can I let the women's fields go by and try to ride in with the 12-18 year olds and not look out of place?

e-RICHIE
05-16-2006, 09:33 AM
So I bought a license and this weekend I try racing. I'm dead. I can't climb and I'm riding a hilly race.

sunapee is your first race, eh atmo?

Too Tall
05-16-2006, 09:42 AM
Tom it's all about your personal goals. Forget about the poseurs, ride your bike hard and finish the race. The entire process is a kick in the pants and I hope you've got some good "lies" to tell after ;)

Roy E. Munson
05-16-2006, 09:47 AM
Forget about the poseurs

I don't get this statement.

Kevan
05-16-2006, 10:00 AM
one word: doo rag. Or, du rag. Or, dew rag. Whatever... a good one helps retain warmth, dispel sweat or on hot days improve the cooling process. You are not alone with this situation.

Have fun.

JohnS
05-16-2006, 10:16 AM
(1)
(2) Kind of like TT's thread about dorks, one of the Sunday group of has-beens and never-weres told me I should buy a license and try racing. So I bought a license and this weekend I try racing. I'm dead. I can't climb and I'm riding a hilly race. What a moron. I rode a hilly 42 this morning and I am just not ready. I can go OK but if those freaks start cranking one roller after the other it's going to get ugly. Can I let the women's fields go by and try to ride in with the 12-18 year olds and not look out of place?
Go to the race and have someone call you on your cellphone. Tell everyone that there's an IT crisis at work and you have to leave immediately. Problem solved! :D

BumbleBeeDave
05-16-2006, 10:19 AM
Just do the best you can and use it as a learning experience--which is what your first race is bound to be anyway.

No matter how you do, your other local buds and I will be proud of you!

BBD

Tom
05-16-2006, 10:21 AM
Yeah, my goals are to (1) stay upright and (2) remember to wipe the snot off my face before the finish area.

I have a hell of a time keeping up with the tough guys when they just hammer over the little rollers one after another after another. For that you need actual speed and that I don't got. Add it all up into one big hill and I'll do much better.

72gmc
05-16-2006, 11:19 AM
Rather than stopping at the end and making it obvious you were dropped in humiliating fashion, get in the drops and put your head down and hammer right through another lap. When people ask where the heck you been you can say I woulda been here a lot earlier but I accidentally rode an extra lap. Hard core!

bcm119
05-16-2006, 12:08 PM
Who was it that said something like "you're never ready for your first race"? Very true atmo, but no matter how bad it goes (my first race was a disaster) it probably won't be your last. Good luck.

stevep
05-16-2006, 02:56 PM
(1) Why, when it's 47 degrees and cloudy, my feet are numb my hands are cold and my torso is chilled am I sweating like hell off the top of my head? I'm dead when it heats up, I tell you. Dead. I usually sweat a lot in the heat but now I'm sweating in the cold.

wear a good base layer.
wont be as hard as you think.
have a good time...
put some warm cream on if its cold.

coylifut
05-16-2006, 03:12 PM
put some warm cream on if its cold.

Don't get any on your sack though

mdeeds71
05-16-2006, 03:19 PM
I got dropped my first crit in the early season (my first season) training sessions. Next three were 15th, 5th, 12th...Much better since I knew what to expect. Since then I herniated my L5 and train irregularly. I entered and finished the Sea Otter Road Race to only come in...dead last...after everyone one else finished I was clearing the course, at least along side one other. But none the less my personal goal once starting and knowing my fitness was just to finish...never mind that I had a dinner party the night before with wine and the lot and add that to the lack of training with the herniation...I was intent on the finish. Wish it was better but that would not happen. The last race I did and one after the Sea Otter is the infamous Cats Hill Crit...with a 24 stroke 23% grade that the 4s do for 12 laps. I held for the first lap then fell off with the stragglers next lap 32 secs back then third I was 47 secs then fourth well...I got pulled with about 28 secs till I was lapped. The only peace I felt was I trained on it the previous week for 14 laps up that hill...and I did not quit rather got yanked out...there were three before me that quit. I intend on training harder but limited till the back heals. I am sure I am prolonging this but I may move from Nor Cal soon and want to enjoy all of it. I am heading out now to do a 2.5 hours endurance training ride.

Oh by the way I only ride 3-5x a week if lucky since I fly for a career (like Saab man) and cannot really get a bike with me all the time. I use sometimes hotel trainers that really just don't cut it. But I really like my racing and want to improve...at least I did upgrade to 4s this season.

So don't get bogged down with the others in the race...do your own race soon you will find that the pack is not in front of you rather all around you...now you are racing with the others...and find a team...It does take less energy when you share the pulls;)

Kevan
05-16-2006, 04:28 PM
double shot of GU minutes to start.

Don't tell anyone.