PDA

View Full Version : car free = care free !

AngryScientist
09-24-2015, 12:13 PM
the weather in the NYC metro area has really be unbeatable lately. i'm back to bike/train commuting after a long hiatus from having that luxury and it feels great. the thought that i am not shackled to the car on a daily basis is liberating and awesome.

i would love to commute on a nicer bike, but this bike gets the job done just fine, and actually rides pretty well. for years i made a cheap windsor clockwork fixie work for commuting, but it just never fit right, so this year, with a new commute ahead of my, i simply dumped it and got a new frame.

neon electric green frame and the fork from my clockwork. inexpensive but reliable parts make up the mix, along with a durable wheelset. flat pedals work fine with the fixed gear for the short ride i do. this bike gets locked up for 10+ hours a day at the train station, so nothing too flashy or expensive.

hooray for car free days!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-o4jHC5cktac/VgP7D-714bI/AAAAAAAACNY/R4iqAROOOPU/s840/IMG_0029.JPG

redir
09-24-2015, 12:24 PM
I hear ya. Bikes are freedom. I'm out in Albuquerque right now and they have a bike share. The other options, taxi, uber, or public transportation do not afford the freedom a bike gives.

Lanternrouge
09-24-2015, 01:20 PM
It's hard to think of a better way to get by work other than by using a bike. There is a lot to be said for not sitting in traffic for keeping one from being grumpy.

Avincent52
09-24-2015, 01:34 PM
Nice bottle cage. I'm going to need to bring an Allen wrench next time I drive by the Harrison train station.

DHallerman
09-24-2015, 01:38 PM
so nothing too flashy...

Nothing too flashy ?!?

Disagre -- that neon green frame turns on and off all by itself.

Love it, perfect color for commuting.

onsight512
09-24-2015, 01:40 PM
nice ride. first thing I thought of, prior to reading the text, was 'hey, that looks like the fork from his Windsor'.

and I agree about how great it is to be able to ride to work. :banana:

AngryScientist
09-24-2015, 01:43 PM
Nice bottle cage. I'm going to need to bring an Allen wrench next time I drive by the Harrison train station.

I've switched locations! Haha!

JAllen
09-24-2015, 02:09 PM
Amen brother! I'm definitely happier without the car.

coffeecake
09-24-2015, 02:18 PM
When I drive (instead of bike) to work, I feel depressed all day and kick myself for taking the car.

My work days always go well when they start with a bicycle ride.

Mr. Squirrel
09-24-2015, 02:44 PM
i do very much enjoy sunday drives with my nutty girlfriend. every other day is car free when i am hunting nice wheels to dive through though. zing zigg zag, nuk nuk nuk!

mr. squirrel

fuzzalow
09-24-2015, 05:31 PM
Good for you. Car free days really turn positive when there is the possibility of being able to actually reduce ownership of a vehicle by -1.

All the years I commuted on the Long Island Rail Road to Wall St I walked to the train station. It just struck me as hell to have to drive a car everyday and it was an easy habit out of laziness to get into. In this sense I think as a cyclist open to a physically active lifestyle, walking or biking is always preferable to being captive in a car. Don't succumb to sloth.

Most of average America, no matter what the distance, is captive to their car. That is the creeping insidiousness of car culture.

I walk to work and yes, early Fall weather in NYC is glorious.

Lanternrouge
09-24-2015, 06:24 PM
When I drive (instead of bike) to work, I feel depressed all day and kick myself for taking the car.

My work days always go well when they start with a bicycle ride.

Except when I'm really tired, I generally regret not riding to work. It's much harder to ride if I drive because, even if I bring a bike in the car, things always happen during the day and I often end up not riding. Plus, starting off with a ride puts me in a good mindset and that way I don't think about how I wish I were out riding or feel like I should be out riding.

William
09-25-2015, 07:25 AM
i do very much enjoy sunday drives with my nutty girlfriend. every other day is car free when i am hunting nice wheels to dive through though. zing zigg zag, nuk nuk nuk!

mr. squirrel

Ferret!:butt:

William

weisan
09-25-2015, 08:10 AM
, so nothing too flashy..

Hey angry honey, that neon color screams HOT at me. :D