PDA

View Full Version : Racing season over... What training clinchers?

Themalletor
09-23-2015, 09:06 PM
I've been using conti gp4000 clinchers all racing season. However it seems like every 800 miles or so I get a really bad gash in the rear tire and need to replace.

Now that racing season is over and rolling resistance doesn't matter... What tire do yall recommend?

P.S. Only 23s fit in my moots frame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gummee
09-23-2015, 09:13 PM
GP 4-seasons

M

AngryScientist
09-23-2015, 09:17 PM
Vittoria Rubino, Schwalbe Durano, GP4Seasons.

Lovetoclimb
09-23-2015, 10:02 PM
if rolling resistance REALLY does not matter and you want top notch flat protection check out the Specialized Armadillos. I am not a Specialized fan but they do make a pretty good tire for the $.

Themalletor
09-23-2015, 10:26 PM
Is there much difference between the gp 4 seasons and normal gator skins?

Steve in SLO
09-23-2015, 11:06 PM

Yes, 4seasons are more supple and less armored than the Gatorskins.

CircuitHero
09-23-2015, 11:13 PM
Yes, 4seasons are more supple and less armored than the Gatorskins.

Kinda. The 4seasons has a dual vectran breaker where the Gatorskin has a single one. But the Gatorskin has thicker rubber.

scho74
09-23-2015, 11:13 PM
You're in luck, Clement Strada LGGs are on sale!

https://www.westernbikeworks.com/product/clement-strada-lgg-120-tpi-tire

Themalletor
09-23-2015, 11:26 PM
You're in luck, Clement Strada LGGs are on sale!

https://www.westernbikeworks.com/product/clement-strada-lgg-120-tpi-tire

I actually had these in mind as I'm very happy with my xplors!!

How does the durability compare to the contis though? I really want to be able get 3000 miles out of a pair to get me to next racing season.

ceolwulf
09-23-2015, 11:55 PM
Rubino Pros are tough and still ride really nice.

BobbyJones
09-24-2015, 03:15 AM
Gatorskins.

Long lasting and a decent ride if you air down.

My GP 4 seasons always got a little "sticky" in the warm weather and last as long as GP4000s

Themalletor
09-24-2015, 04:14 AM
It's hard to beat the price of rubino pros since you can get them for about 20 bucks right now

simonov
09-24-2015, 05:19 AM
I actually had these in mind as I'm very happy with my xplors!!

How does the durability compare to the contis though? I really want to be able get 3000 miles out of a pair to get me to next racing season.

The only tire I've ever gotten 3K miles out of that I didn't hate riding was the GP 4Season. They're a great balance of durability and ride-ability. The Clements are nice, too, though I've never ridden them in 23 to compare with the 4Seasons. My 28mm versions have survived some rough roads without feeling sluggish on pavement.

Edit: just saw the post about Rubinos being $20 bucks. Yeah, at that price you could get a spare or two and still be under the cost of a 4Season even if you didn't get the mileage you want. I don't think they ride as nice, but they're far from bad.

Themalletor
09-24-2015, 05:25 AM
Yeah the more I think about it.... I think I'll just pick up some of the rubino pros since they're half the price of the 4 seasons.

I appreciate all the input from everyone!

Ralph
09-24-2015, 06:11 AM

Use Gator Skins in rear....whatever you want in front. The front tire kicks up stuff, the rear tire runs over it. Use a better riding tire in front.

I run cheap ($14) Michelin Lithium 11's in rear, and Pro Race 4's in front for a good ride.

pff
09-24-2015, 09:43 AM
Sidewall cuts plague gp4000s but I still think they're worth it. Just keep your eyes open for rocks. I used four seasons and still got tears. Armadillo rides like a brick, just because it's the off season doesn't mean I need to give myself carpal tunnel. I'm currently on open paves because they were on clearance and this far no issues but I don't think they're as long lasting as the contis (cuts notwithstanding).

edit: poster below reminded me that lithion 2 is decent and cheap.

Benneke
09-24-2015, 01:14 PM
I like the Michelin Lithion 2. I usually ride Pro 4 Service Course for racing and have been using Lithion 2s in the off season with good results. The ride is almost as good, they are much cheaper, and they last longer. Ive also had good experiences with the Continental Grandprix. They feel very similar to the GP4000s for a fraction of the cost, but are slightly less durable than the Michelin in my experience.

Zoodles
09-24-2015, 01:38 PM
Off season tires...whatever is kicking about with some semblance of tread?

I always find I have a stack of usable but un-raceable tires by this time of the year that can go on the road bike or get burned up as trainer tires. Start the process over again in April or May with a new set of Michelin Pro 4 endurance.

mudhead
09-24-2015, 02:36 PM
Continental Grand Prixs - very inexpensive and a good ride. 25c on Mavic Cosmic Elite rims measure @ 23mm wide and just a bit taller...

benjamine74
09-26-2015, 05:45 AM
For training I can't go past maxxis refuse. Flats are very rare even when the canvas is exposed.

tuscanyswe
09-26-2015, 07:18 AM
Ive tried so many tires over the years. I honestly don't think one can beat contis gp 4000s II for performance wear and price and puncture. Its just a great tire all around tire imo.

legMA
09-26-2015, 07:28 AM
I have Conti gatorskin hardshells with thick puncture resistant tubes. Overkill? Yes. Can I ride over just about anything with no anxiety? Yes. Will I be changing flats in the dead of winter. Nope. I do roll significantly slower and I can't be picky about the ride feel.

Gaucho410
09-26-2015, 08:25 AM
I'm curious to try those "flat proof" Vittoria Corsa tires, if I could ride something as nice as the Corsa Evo CX year round, I'd be really pleased.

Jeff Borisch
09-26-2015, 09:49 AM
Ive tried so many tires over the years. I honestly don't think one can beat contis gp 4000s II for performance wear and price and puncture. Its just a great tire all around tire imo.

It is a nice tire but you obviously don't live close to a Big 10 school. ;)

I've come to terms with this and ride paselas unless I'm driving the bike out of town. Looking forward to trying gravel kings. I've heard nice things about them.

azrider
09-26-2015, 12:19 PM
I have Conti gatorskin hardshells with thick puncture resistant tubes. Overkill? Yes. Can I ride over just about anything with no anxiety? Yes. Will I be changing flats in the dead of winter. Nope. I do roll significantly slower and I can't be picky about the ride feel.

My brotha from anotha motha....

spartanKid
09-26-2015, 01:35 PM
I have schwalbe duranos (25 mm) for the past 5000 mi or so with zero flats. Great tires!

HenryA
09-26-2015, 04:12 PM
Panaracer Race Type D.

Bombproof, light enough, good ride quality, grippy rubber, reasonable price.
I've been riding them for the last 5-6 years and completely happy with them.

http://www.panaracer.com/road.php

spacemen3
09-27-2015, 04:06 PM
I really like Rubino Pros and Panaracer GravelKings (even on road).

carpediemracing
09-27-2015, 07:58 PM
Using Maxxis ReFuse. Got two sets in 2011, on the second set now, first set on a set of wheels I haven't really used this year but perfectly serviceable.

Ride isn't great (700x23, 95-115 psi). I haven't gotten a proper flat. Had the rim strip migrate on two wheels, re-did them, no problems since.

I bought them from an LBS to try to help them, wanted a tough training tire that would work in rain (my then-current clinchers were horrible in rain), no other reason for buying them.

veloduffer
09-28-2015, 06:27 AM
I have schwalbe duranos (25 mm) for the past 5000 mi or so with zero flats. Great tires!

+1 on the Duranos. Roll well, durable and pretty good feel. Also like the Rubino Pros but my experience isn't as extensive.

ik2280
09-28-2015, 06:39 AM
I think about the question of training clinchers pretty frequently. I'm fine with heavy tires for training, or even ones that roll slowly, but I can't deal with tires that are as slippery in the wet as something like a Gatorskin, especially on the front wheel. Might stick with the bigger Open Paves all winter this year.

93legendti
09-28-2015, 07:51 AM
I picked up a set of 28c Conti Ultra Sport II's for $17.99 each at Performance. A true 28c, I have enjoyed them on our Damascus like roads.