PDA

View Full Version : Open Cycles Unbeaten Path

Cornfed
09-23-2015, 02:48 PM
Saw this new frame from Open Cycles:

http://up.opencycle.com/

Still not sure about carbon for a hard core gravel bike, but they do have some interesting design elements. And of course, being orange doesn't hurt in my book. Now about that price ...

adhumston
09-23-2015, 09:38 PM
Saw this new frame from Open Cycles:

http://up.opencycle.com/

Still not sure about carbon for a hard core gravel bike, but they do have some interesting design elements. And of course, being orange doesn't hurt in my book. Now about that price ...

I like it.

Carbon has worked for mt bikes for years now, it can handle gravel fine (and I've been rocking a carbon Ibis for a few years on gravel w/o issue).

sessl
09-23-2015, 10:04 PM
Gorgeous bike. Love that these guys actually think things through and actually innovate.

doomridesout
09-23-2015, 10:29 PM
If it's well built, the design appears to be pretty smart... I'd get one if I wasn't happy with my gravel rig.

velotrack
09-23-2015, 10:49 PM
I don't understand the whole bit about not understanding setback seatposts. They are clearly there for a reason. The bike looks very cool though.

velotrack
09-23-2015, 10:54 PM
Also, looking at the price - no thanks, sorry. I'm sure this is the bike many were looking for though.

simonov
09-24-2015, 05:25 AM
I don't understand the whole bit about not understanding setback seatposts. They are clearly there for a reason. The bike looks very cool though.

Ditto. On both counts. The seatpost setback thing was the same with Gerard when at Cervelo. Other than that, this seems pretty cool.

dustyrider
09-24-2015, 06:49 AM

Later on just before the geo., they say the bike is designed with a set back seat tube, so no need for a set back seat post. "It's lighter this way!" yawn.

Dustin
09-24-2015, 08:59 AM
Is there a good way to convert a 386Evo BB to run mountain cranks? The press fit BB is the one real turnoff for me.

tiretrax
09-24-2015, 10:19 AM
I like it a lot. There's a lot of interesting design in that bike. Like Velotrack, I don't understand their aversion to setback seatposts.

charliedid
09-24-2015, 05:05 PM
Cool bike...

That said the price is not that far off considering it's not an open mold (Hongfu) etc.

Sold through some pretty solid bike shops and a more than a solid warranty.

I'd be willing to give them a chance.

Not cheap to start a bike Co.

adhumston
09-24-2015, 05:51 PM
The more I look at it, the more I like it. Running 650b wheels with some lightweight 2.25" tires is definitely appealing. The only knock I really have against my Hakkalugi disc is the lack of tire clearance in the rear.

The thinned out and flattened seatstays do look like they would help dampen the ride on rougher roads as well.

CSTRider
09-24-2015, 10:27 PM
While the photos show a 1x10/11, it also can be set up as a 2x10/11. In that configuration, i'd be concerned about potential chain suck with that extra low right side chainstay.

avalonracing
09-25-2015, 06:45 AM
Ditto. On both counts. The seatpost setback thing was the same with Gerard when at Cervelo. Other than that, this seems pretty cool.

Also if you like riding a steeper STA like me you now cannot get that angle by using a no-setback post.
PS... Eff Carbon.

danielpack22@ma
09-25-2015, 07:39 AM
Also if you like riding a steeper STA like me you now cannot get that angle by using a no-setback post.
PS... Eff Carbon.

And by making the STA slacker, aren't you cutting into the clearance between the seat tube and the tire?:confused:

charliedid
09-25-2015, 07:52 AM
And by making the STA slacker, aren't you cutting into the clearance between the seat tube and the tire?:confused:

I think that it one of the big trade-offs in alot of adventure/endurance bikes. Steep seat angle with short-ish chainstays because the compliance comes from the design and materials. That way the bike seems and is quicker off the jump. Makes for a long front center and not quite as easy to fit as one would think.

jmoore
09-25-2015, 08:31 AM
I like it a lot. There's a lot of interesting design in that bike.

this.

+orange

alas, too small without a bunch of spacers up front

sandyrs
09-25-2015, 08:43 AM
this.

+orange

alas, too small without a bunch of spacers up front

Same! :(