PDA

View Full Version : Done with 11spd KMC missing links

Black Dog
09-23-2015, 11:32 AM
So, I have been using KMC missing links on my 11 speed campy chorus chains for years. I have noticed that the bushings that the link goes into wear much faster than the rest of the bushings on the chain. This became obvious when one of my bikes developed a rhythmic knock in the drive train while peddling

Any measurement with a chain checker will show elongation if I have the missing link with the measured section. I thought at 1st that, perhaps, it was the link itself and replaced the link but this had no effect on the measurement. When I removed the links that the KMC link went into then the chain measured the same at all points. This has been the case for several chains on my 2 11 speed campy bikes. I will now be using the campy pins and peen them from now on. The KMC links will live in the saddle bag in case of an emergency on the road. Anyone else notice this?

ultraman6970
09-23-2015, 11:39 AM
I been using a 10 speed missing link with 11 for a while now. No problems.

Even used a 10 speed chain for a couple of rides while I was waiting for the 11 speed one and worked just fine too.

oldpotatoe
09-23-2015, 11:45 AM
So, I have been using KMC missing links on my 11 speed campy chorus chains for years. I have noticed that the bushings that the link goes into wear much faster than the rest of the bushings on the chain. This became obvious when one of my bikes developed a rhythmic knock in the drive train while peddling

Any measurement with a chain checker will show elongation if I have the missing link with the measured section. I thought at 1st that, perhaps, it was the link itself and replaced the link but this had no effect on the measurement. When I removed the links that the KMC link went into then the chain measured the same at all points. This has been the case for several chains on my 2 11 speed campy bikes. I will now be using the campy pins and peen them from now on. The KMC links will live in the saddle bag in case of an emergency on the road. Anyone else notice this?

Be careful to not push a pin out then reconnect with Campag pin thru that same outer plate. High liklehood of breaking chain. Campagnolo pins, even with peening, don't like to be pushed thru non 'virgin' plates. IRD is another good snaplink.

tumbler
09-23-2015, 12:29 PM
IRD is another good snaplink.

I had not seen those before. The IRD site also lists them as reusable, which KMC advises against on the 11 speed version.

oldpotatoe
09-23-2015, 12:34 PM
I had not seen those before. The IRD site also lists them as reusable, which KMC advises against on the 11 speed version.

Correct. Have sold mostly IRD but the distributor(Merry Sales) often doesn't have them.

I have used the KMC also, using one now, but I also swap it for a new one about once a month when I clean the chain. Maybe every 500-600 miles or so.

Black Dog
09-23-2015, 10:50 PM
Correct. Have sold mostly IRD but the distributor(Merry Sales) often doesn't have them.

I have used the KMC also, using one now, but I also swap it for a new one about once a month when I clean the chain. Maybe every 500-600 miles or so.

It is not the links that are wearing, it is the bushings that the link pins are in. The quick link seems to accelerate the wear of the bushings that it passes through. Measure your chain with the link in the measured section and with the link outside the measured section. I am very curious to see what you might find.

sandyrs
09-24-2015, 06:53 AM
Haha. I only use KMC links because SRAM links are such garbage. Oh well...

AngryScientist
09-24-2015, 06:55 AM
Black Dog - approximately how many miles are you putting on a chain before seeing this wear?

Black Dog
09-24-2015, 08:08 AM
Black Dog - approximately how many miles are you putting on a chain before seeing this wear?

Good question. I usually do not keep track of milage on my chains just wear, through measuring. I would say that the chain in question has ~3500km on it. For a campy chain using chain-L this is not a lot of millage. There is very little elongation as measured by ruler or chain checker.

I am suspecting that the pins on the quick link are a smaller diameter than the pins in the chain and this will cases the increased wear on the bushings. I am going to pull out the micrometer tonight and measure this to confirm.

CampyorBust
09-24-2015, 08:54 AM
I have noticed it, a small knocking on two of my chains, in both cases it was a Campy 11 Record chain with kmc 11 speed missing link. Both I replaced with a KMC SL11 chain and KMC missing link, I think I might be developing a tiny knock on one of them. I have not ridden that bike in a while so I cant say 100%.

From what I recall it is annoying the first 5-10 miles or so then it seems to pass, with the Record 11 chains it never passed. Each time I promises my precious that I will look into it, yet when it goes away during the ride I forget all about it. The other bike has more miles and no knocking yet. FWIW the chain with the (possible) tiny knock is silver KMC SL11 on a Athena 11 group the one without is gold KMC SL11 on a Record 11 group.

My Chorus 11 chain with KMC link on Chorus 11 group feels great so far, but I only have a few hundred miles on that set up. However here is an interesting observation, before I mounted the new Chorus chain, I installed one of the Record 11 chains (under 1000 miles on them) with a kmc link. I immediately felt the knock come back, so I went to the brand new chain. Without a doubt if you have a Campy chain tool that is the way too go. The cheaper kmc link and chain route has always worked for me.

One thing I don't care for with the KMC links is removing them. If you don稚 have the KMC link removal tool it can be quite frustrating. I have had success using a brake cable or pliers. Then there is this guys solution

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=64289&p=966707

I got a set of scissors whose fate has just been determined.

kramnnim
09-24-2015, 09:49 AM
I've been using KMC and SRAM links with mostly Campy chains and some KMC, many thousands of miles per link and multiple remove/reinstall cycles...haven't noticed anything unusual...

ceolwulf
09-24-2015, 09:55 AM
One thing I don't care for with the KMC links is removing them. If you don稚 have the KMC link removal tool it can be quite frustrating. I have had success using a brake cable or pliers. Then there is this guys solution

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=64289&p=966707

I got a set of scissors whose fate has just been determined.

What I did was pass a wire between adjoining links and then twist it together.

campy man
09-24-2015, 12:05 PM
I have used the Connex/Wipperman 10spd with 11spd ... no problems. :D

Currently using the KMC 11spd link and do notice an occasional noise. Recently cleaned my chain and re-installed with the same link and noticed some noise but went quiet after approx 25-30mi. Thinking now I need to change to a new link before my weekend rides. Been using the Park Tool Master Link removal tool, both inexpensive and works great.

I have the Campy chain tool ... nice and works great but don't use very often since switching to a removable link.

Veloo
09-26-2015, 08:35 AM
I just checked mine with my Park CC-2.
Checking a section with no link shows just under .75% stretch. Around the link, I am close to 1.0%.

Link is brand new and the chain probably has less than 2500 km on it. And most of the kms are low torque.

:(

Black Dog
09-26-2015, 10:34 AM
I just checked mine with my Park CC-2.
Checking a section with no link shows just under .75% stretch. Around the link, I am close to 1.0%.

Link is brand new and the chain probably has less than 2500 km on it. And most of the kms are low torque.

:(

My experience exactly. I am going to try a different brand of link and a KMC 10 speed link. I will, as soon I get a chance, measure the pin diameter of the KMC link vs the campy chain's pin.

sethjs
09-26-2015, 02:14 PM
Use Campy and Shimano chains with KMC 11 link. Definitely get more wear around the link. Current chains (both at about 1000 miles) are less than .5% wear for sections without the link, but between .5% and .75% for sections with the link.

pff
09-26-2015, 02:20 PM
The KMC links will live in the saddle bag in case of an emergency on the road.

What kind of emergency could you possibly have that would necessitate a masterlink? In the last 60,000 miles of riding on Shimano chains I've never once broken one, and I've only seen broken chains due to incorrect installation. I assume Campy are similarly durable. Even if a broken chain is unavoidable once every 100k miles, that would not make it worth it to carry a chain tool and link with me.

DrSpoke
09-26-2015, 03:50 PM
On recent small group rides, we've had 4 broken chains in the last 6 wks - 1 on road and 3 on mtn bikes. And I had another broken chain on the road about 6 months ago. So, yes, I recently started carrying a link and chain tool on road rides. Often these are used for others but that's ok too.

09-26-2015, 04:34 PM
Same here. Road debris caught in the chain can nuke it. So can a crash that twists the chain. And I've had links get stiff if the chain derails out from the big ring and jams into the crank arm. Then you have to remove the stiff link or risk a break that way.

I have one of the mini Wippermann chain tools, which has a little compartment in the handle that fits a KMC missing link. I carry an 11 speed link for my own chain, plus throw a 10 speed one in with my tire tools just for my friends who may still be on 10-speed chains.

I've not had any problem with these links. I've ridden them for multiple thousands of kilometers, removed and reinstalled repeatedly, and so on. I find a lot of people don't quite get the plates squeezed together enough to reconnect properly or they don't set the link properly and riding tweaks the plates askew a bit. I've taken chains after a couple thousand kilometers, cleaned them thoroughly, and examined each link under a microscope. I saw some slightly uneven wear, but couldn't say anything was particularly worse at the link -- surface wear patterns, hole or pin wear, or link lengthening.

mcteague
09-26-2015, 05:45 PM
I have been using the IRD on my Chorus 11s chain which can be installed, and removed, sans tools. Does the KMC really need 2 tools (http://kmcchain.us/extra-products-list/) to remove/install or can you just use needle nose pliers?

Tim

OtayBW
09-26-2015, 06:36 PM
I have been using the IRD on my Chorus 11s chain which can be installed, and removed, sans tools. Does the KMC really need 2 tools (http://kmcchain.us/extra-products-list/) to remove/install or can you just use needle nose pliers?

Tim
Answer: No

scpknees
09-26-2015, 08:21 PM
I'm running 2015 SR with a KMC chain and have had no issues at all with my chain. Just don't use the link with the campy chain.

teleguy57
09-30-2015, 04:02 PM
I'm running 2015 SR with a KMC chain and have had no issues at all with my chain. Just don't use the link with the campy chain.

Can you say more about why? I don't seem to have any issues on 2014 and earlier Campag stuff w/Chorus chain and KMC 11 link.

ldamelio
09-30-2015, 04:33 PM
As above - I always use KMC 10 speed link with 11 speed Campy - been doing this for 6 years/30000 miles with no problem. I arbitrarily change chain every 3000 miles (used to go 4000 with 10 speed). Cassette (the ti upper cogs of Record) made it 21,000 miles/7 chains with this. The 10 speed link is easier to install/remove than the 11, and is multi-use as opposed to single use.

beeatnik
09-30-2015, 04:54 PM
^berry interesting

my wrench put a 9s link on my 11s chain. caught it before I rolled out for the World Famous Rose Bowl Ride. maybe, the cat is on to something, tho.

OtayBW
09-30-2015, 06:35 PM
As above - I always use KMC 10 speed link with 11 speed Campy - been doing this for 6 years/30000 miles with no problem. I arbitrarily change chain every 3000 miles (used to go 4000 with 10 speed). Cassette (the ti upper cogs of Record) made it 21,000 miles/7 chains with this. The 10 speed link is easier to install/remove than the 11, and is multi-use as opposed to single use.

^berry interesting

my wrench put a 9s link on my 11s chain. caught it before I rolled out for the World Famous Rose Bowl Ride. maybe, the cat is on to something, tho.
Both 9 and 10 spd links should be wider than the 11 spd chain, no?

oldpotatoe
10-01-2015, 06:16 AM
Both 9 and 10 spd links should be wider than the 11 spd chain, no?

They are and may 'click'. When 10s was brand new, I used gold sram 9s links on 10s chains all the time until 10s links were made. They are fine. 10s probably works fine on 11s as well. 'May' be occasionally clicky but probably OK. On a way bouncy MTB, I wouldn't use one tho..may come unhooked.

BTW-For SKPKness above..I have used KMC 11s links on Campag 11s chains for about 2 years. I get a new chain, install with pin, once a month or so, take off and clean, and reattach with KMC link..A month later, off, clean, and another KMC link..no noise or anything else. I measure chain with Rohloff tool, when toasted at .75, replace. About once a year(I have another bike when the weather is wet, but it uses a KMC 9s chain..on a freewheel-7s).

Wakatel_Luum
10-01-2015, 06:43 AM
I've been using Wipperman links for awhile now...so easy to install and remove, after a bit of use or wearing in I remove them by hand...