PDA

View Full Version : Road tubeless inflation tip

Keith A
09-23-2015, 10:34 AM
I've been using a couple of sets of Dura-Ace 7850-SL tubeless wheels for a while now and am overall satisfied with road tubeless. Even if I wasn't using these in a tubeless configuration, these are great wheels.

I recently patched a flat on one of the tires and couldn't get this to inflate after putting the tire back on -- I have done this many times before with no problems. I fiddled with this for quite awhile and just couldn't get this to work (I was using an air compressor). I finally gave up and stopped by my LBS the next day and we tried this several times with no success. Then one of the other wrenches came over and said I bet I know the problem. He proceeded to loosen the valve stem and push this into the tire to allow the tire bead to get underneath the rubber stopper on the inside. Once we tightened this back up, it inflated with no hesitation.

I was very aware that the tire bead needed to get in the proper place around the inside of the valve stem and thought I this correct...but obviously this wasn't the case.

So the next time you can't get your tubeless tire to inflate, you might want to try this little trick.

bking
09-23-2015, 01:40 PM
gracias.

Tony
09-23-2015, 08:39 PM
I'll need to remember that trick. Also, using a cam buckle strap/webbing around the tire while inflating works well for hard to inflate tires.