PDA

View Full Version : Please learn me up on quality water bottle cages.

CampyorBust
09-23-2015, 10:02 AM
I have always had mediocre water bottle cages. Recently I have been thinking on upping my game in that department. Looking to hear about the high-end bottle cages, carbon, ti steel etc. Especially interested in Arundel carbon cages. I am a big fan of their bar tape and saddle bags, I have my eye on their carbon cages for some time now. My frame size is pretty small about a 52cm +/-, I was thinking maybe the Arundel sidewinder. Thanks.

FlashUNC
09-23-2015, 10:07 AM
King Cages.

The steel are great. Ti if you want to splurge. Done.

Keith A
09-23-2015, 10:12 AM
Just picked up a pair of Arundel Mandibles, but haven't installed them yet. They seem very nice from my visual inspection.

oldpotatoe
09-23-2015, 10:13 AM
King Cages.

Yup. Made in Durango, CO by one guy. Work well, last a long time, not painfully expensive, look great. Wish he made an Iris in ti but......

ColnagoFan
09-23-2015, 10:13 AM
For metal, hard to beat King, but Blackburn makes a really really nice stainless cage as well. I love the Kings, but the really big diameter tubes are slightly offputting to me. But that's just me.

I also hate to say it, but the Specialized plastic rib cages are really really great. Cheap, light, and decent looking. I've never lost a bottle in years of using them. Haven't tried to carbon ones yet though.

Louis
09-23-2015, 10:20 AM
King.

zennmotion
09-23-2015, 10:25 AM
For metal, hard to beat King, but Blackburn makes a really really nice stainless cage as well. I love the Kings, but the really big diameter tubes are slightly offputting to me. But that's just me.

I also hate to say it, but the Specialized plastic rib cages are really really great. Cheap, light, and decent looking. I've never lost a bottle in years of using them. Haven't tried to carbon ones yet though.

The "really big" diameter tubing is what make King Cage the best metal cages anywhere from anybody. I have a box full of perfectly fine Al and other steel cages that are going to the local co-op donations, the kings will outlast me- I'll instruct that they be attached to my casket for either beer or chocolate milk, depending on which direction I'll be heading at that point. Probably beer.

simonov
09-23-2015, 10:29 AM
Arundel mandibles are the best I've used. Arundel steel look nice and work very well, though not as well as the carbon mandibles. I have king Ti cages and I don't like them nearly as much as the Arundels.

Tickdoc
09-23-2015, 10:30 AM
King.

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-23-2015, 10:37 AM
King and done.

CampyorBust
09-23-2015, 10:37 AM
Thanks. Yeah those Kings cages look nice the Mandibles too. On the steel bikes there is plenty of clearance for my larger 25oz bottle. On the carbon frame I will sometimes hit the frame pulling the bottle out. So I was thinking with the Sidewinder I would achieve a much more fluid bottle extraction and insertion.

I have two Merckx bikes that I have panto stems on, matching cages would nice. These caught my eye http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Eddy-Merckx-water-bottle-cage-panto-no-campagnolo-/271992674654?hash=item3f5406d95e

Also I have always lusted after the Elite Ciussi Inox Stainless Steel Water Bottle Cages.

FlashUNC
09-23-2015, 10:44 AM
Thanks. Yeah those Kings cages look nice the Mandibles too. On the steel bikes there is plenty of clearance for my larger 25oz bottle. On the carbon frame I will sometimes hit the frame pulling the bottle out. So I was thinking with the Sidewinder I would achieve a much more fluid bottle extraction and insertion.

I have two Merckx bikes that I have panto stems on, matching cages would nice. These caught my eye http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Eddy-Merckx-water-bottle-cage-panto-no-campagnolo-/271992674654?hash=item3f5406d95e

Also I have always lusted after the Elite Ciussi Inox Stainless Steel Water Bottle Cages.

I've had the Ciussi on a bike for a long time. Swapped them out for King cages. No regrets.

Also had a Ciussi break on me at the weld point once during a ride. That was no bueno.

Keith A
09-23-2015, 10:46 AM
Also I have always lusted after the Elite Ciussi Inox Stainless Steel Water Bottle Cages.I have this used these cages for awhile -- it's a decent cage and looks nice on steel frame with smaller tubes. Although the cage itself doesn't mark up your bottles, the buttons can do so. One thing to note (which was posted on the forum) is that the quality of the cages took a nose dive after they moved their production away from Italy. I don't have any personal knowledge of this, just sharing what was posted.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1769070&postcount=29

zap
09-23-2015, 10:49 AM
King and Arundel Mandible.

I have King Ti's on my Klein, wife's Serotta, our mtb's and tandems.

Mandible on the Crumpton.

c77barlage
09-23-2015, 10:49 AM
I use a Blackburn carbon cage on my XC mountain bike. It keeps a bottle very secure, even during an unexpected trip over the bars.

thirdgenbird
09-23-2015, 11:03 AM
Yup. Made in Durango, CO by one guy. Work well, last a long time, not painfully expensive, look great. Wish he made an Iris in ti but......

Exactly.

I've got both shapes in stainless but would love to see a ti iris.

lhuerta
09-23-2015, 11:28 AM
Another vote or the Mandibles. Yes they are pricey, but they are the best I have ever used, and likely the last cages I will ever buy as they are indestructible.

djg21
09-23-2015, 11:34 AM
I have always had mediocre water bottle cages. Recently I have been thinking on upping my game in that department. Looking to hear about the high-end bottle cages, carbon, ti steel etc. Especially interested in Arundel carbon cages. I am a big fan of their bar tape and saddle bags, I have my eye on their carbon cages for some time now. My frame size is pretty small about a 52cm +/-, I was thinking maybe the Arundel sidewinder. Thanks.

With that size frame, maybe the Arundel a Sideloader/Othersideloader would be a good option. I have one on your MTB bike and my wife uses them on her Tri bike. They work well.

veloduffer
09-23-2015, 11:39 AM
King and Arundel Mandible.

I have King Ti's on my Klein, wife's Serotta, our mtb's and tandems.

Mandible on the Crumpton.

My set up is similar - ti King on Moots and Eriksen and Mandibles on Parlee. Mandibles are the most solid cages that I've owned and hold the bottle as tight as when they were new.

ColnagoFan
09-23-2015, 11:44 AM
The "really big" diameter tubing is what make King Cage the best metal cages anywhere from anybody. I have a box full of perfectly fine Al and other steel cages that are going to the local co-op donations, the kings will outlast me- I'll instruct that they be attached to my casket for either beer or chocolate milk, depending on which direction I'll be heading at that point. Probably beer.

Don't disagree in the least, it's merely my personal opinion on them. It honestly wouldn't stop me from mounting a set, but on a steel bike with thinner tubes I'd probably do the SS from a purely visual standpoint. I had the Blackburn SS cages on my C50, and it was a perfect look, in my opinion.

You 100% get what you pay for, and those cages will outlast me. The Blackburns are nice, and at under $15 very approachable, especially when considered against an alloy cage. They won't be heirloom quality though.

Edit: at $18 the King SS cages are a no-brainer over the Blackburn. In my head I thought they were more...

morrisericd
09-23-2015, 11:54 AM
Another vote (and perspective) for the Arundel Mandibles. I do a lot of these new fangled gravel races. The first section of washboard always has 20 plus water bottles "donated" by other, lesser cages. You know what - not me. Never. Don't even think about it. While other racers are drinking from streams wishing they knew what I know I'm sipping away at my water bottle plucked from my Arundel Mandible cage.

I also have a King cage on my titanium bike because everyone knows you can't put a carbon cage on a titanium bike. It's a work of art that also works well.

jr59
09-23-2015, 11:56 AM
Another vote (and perspective) for the Arundel Mandibles. I do a lot of these new fangled gravel races. The first section of washboard always has 20 plus water bottles "donated" by other, lesser cages. You know what - not me. Never. Don't even think about it. While other racers are drinking from streams wishing they knew what I know I'm sipping away at my water bottle plucked from my Arundel Mandible cage.

I also have a King cage on my titanium bike because everyone knows you can't put a carbon cage on a titanium bike. It's a work of art that also works well.

For gravel, try the King iris.

yakstone
09-23-2015, 12:29 PM
King or Arundel Mandibles

alexstar
09-23-2015, 12:33 PM
Like everyone else in this thread, I have good taste, am shockingly good-looking, and use King or Arundel bottle cages.

srsoltis
09-23-2015, 12:38 PM
King Ti and steel are both great cages.

Check out this video:

NAHBS 2011 - King Cage makes a water bottle cage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oijwTCbgANM

54ny77
09-23-2015, 12:38 PM
Ti on carbon violence is not tolerated: Arundel Mandibles is the solution there.

:bike:

Otherwise, King ti for anything else.

ColnagoFan
09-23-2015, 12:57 PM
Like everyone else in this thread, I have good taste, am shockingly good-looking, and use King or Arundel bottle cages.

This has to be the comment of the year so far.
:hello::hello:

Russian bear
09-23-2015, 01:05 PM
If you need a small frame friendly cage (that's still cheap) for your carbon bike the Elite Cannibal is a great option. Elite Custom Race is a great go to as well.

I'm still riding a pair of chinese carbon cages that I bought (on ebay) years ago, I've been waiting for the darn things to break already so I can replace them, but no luck.

martinez
09-23-2015, 01:16 PM
I've used both King and arundel cages and chose arundel cages for looks and reliability. Looks great on my GT edge!

downtube
09-23-2015, 02:05 PM
KING, they work

pff
09-23-2015, 02:35 PM
arundel mandible is the way to go. I've been using the same pair for years and they have literally never dropped a bottle. I get super pissed on group rides when people on $10k bikes drop bottles just cause we go over some train tracks and they chose to save some chump change in the bottle cage department. Aesthetically, cage material should match frame material, i.e. metal cages for metal frames and plastic cages for plastic frames.

I have no idea if 52cm is small enough to require sideloader cages. Mandibles do have two mounting locations so you can mount slightly higher or lower as needed.

BdaGhisallo
09-23-2015, 02:48 PM
Arundel Mandibles are great but do have a vicious hold on the bottle. If you don't that tight a hold, the Arundel Dave-O cages are fantastic. You can't go wrong with either Arundel model.

Avincent52
09-23-2015, 03:27 PM
Ti on carbon violence is not tolerated: Arundel Mandibles is the solution there.

:bike:

Otherwise, King ti for anything else.

It seems that bottle cages have become an avenue for self-expression.
The King is the endpoint of the traditional metal bottle cage, in lightweight titanium, built by one guy in a shop. (BTW, if you want to kick it up a notch, send your cage to Firefly and they'll anodized it. Way cool.)

Best for: A Firefly Titanium.

PS: I also love the unique King Iris cage, which handles a Kleen Kanteen stainless bottle and looks great on the right kind of touring bike.

The Mandible is from another small company by a guy who used to be a beloved Shimano rep. Pro teams use the Mandible (and some the stainless) for the cobbles of Paris-Roubaix. And from what I can tell, I think they actually *buy* them because they work.

Best for: A Parlee

P.S. The Arundel stainless cage is a nice alternative for a ferrous bike. It's less ostentatious than the King Iris, but it's still different enough.It holds your bottle great all for $20.

My favorite big company cage is the Cannondale Immix, an insufferably elegant mountain bike which combines carbon and titanium. The Immix was very expensive ($75) and marketed primarily as a mountain bike cage. It's since become a cult item. It is, of course, out-of-production, although Cannondale still makes a much cheaper and less interesting version.
I still curse the time I missed a *pair* of these for $25 at The Pro's Closet.

http://www.light-bikes.it/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=f591e8405025976130d6bb978b8631 f8&action=dlattach;topic=10719.0;attach=16342;image

http://www.velominati.com/reverence/reverence-the-cannondale-immix-bottle-cage/

Best for: CAAD 10

Then there are the Nitto cages which have a different kind of handbuilt aesthetic, all steel and oh-so-delicate. ATMO they're the most elegant cages you can buy.

http://pds2.exblog.jp/pds/1/201202/28/52/e0132852_1817713.jpg

Best for: a 1980s Richard Sachs

Finally, there are the heirloom cages handbuilt by Mr. Iribe. You can literally buy a decent bicycle for what you'd pay for a pair. But the little spring makes me smile just to see it in a photograph.

Best for: A vintage Cinelli

https://janheine.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/iribecageempty.jpg

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2014/07/25/my-favorite-bottle-cages/

woodworker
09-23-2015, 05:58 PM
Have both the King stainless and King Ti. The latter on a carbon/ti bike. At first, I didn't care for the Ti, as they hold the bottles pretty tight, tighter than the stainless Kings. However, over time, I like their grip better, as there's no chance for a bottle to come out. And now I prefer the look of the oversize tubing on the ti cages too. Pricey, but I wouldn't get anything else on a bike that has ti on it.

jlwdm
09-23-2015, 06:08 PM
3 bikes and three pairs of Arundel cages.

Two pair of Manidbles.

I pair of Stainless for the last CSI which is built up with all silver Campagnolo 11 and silver H Plus Son Archetype rims and silver Chris King hubs.

Jeff

jowens
09-23-2015, 06:54 PM
very happy with Blackburn Camber cages. Carbon, light, and no issues losing bottles under any circumstances.

Tickdoc
09-23-2015, 07:00 PM
What about shiny/polished cages? King ss the best?

jlwdm
09-23-2015, 07:28 PM
What about shiny/polished cages? King ss the best?

I like Arundel better.

Jeff

CampyorBust
09-23-2015, 07:48 PM
Holly carp, thanks for the replies everyone. :beer:

Cages really are something special aren't they? You've helped me narrow it down a bit, I am definitely going with an Arundel of some sort. Now that I think about it I do take my bottle out with either hand, so with the Sideloader I would have to commit to one side. The Mandibles look awesome and they come in white, which works great for me.

I just took a look at the Arundel website and renewed my cycle crush on their stuff. Hot damn their products look good, bike jewelry if I ever saw it. Classy logo and great font in the logotype too! (Anyone know the story behind the image? NM found it... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arundel_Castle) That Arundel SS cage is a looker, then again that King Iris cage ain't too shabby either. Both are reasonably priced, tough call. Made in the USA is a big plus in my book. Though I do have some fantastic cheaper carbon mtb wheels from China, I try to buy USA made if I can afford it.

Good to know the Elite Ciussi can scratch bottles.

Avincent52, thanks for the phenomenal response. Awesome cages, especially that last one, drool worthy. If I ever restore my 71 Raleigh Competition that Mr. Iribe cage or something similar is what I would want on it. Only problem is it would have to have a clamp on system. This now has me thinking about the possibilities of custom cages. Are there other uber exclusive works of art that also happen to be functional bottle cages out there?

saab2000
09-23-2015, 08:01 PM
Arundel Mandibles are great but do have a vicious hold on the bottle. If you don't that tight a hold, the Arundel Dave-O cages are fantastic. You can't go wrong with either Arundel model.

This is my opinion as well.

I prefer the aesthetic of the Mandibles but they do hold a bottle with an iron grip. I have Dave-Os on a number of bikes and functionally I prefer them.

My Hampsten and Zanconato sport King Cages stainless cages. All the rest use Arundel. They're light and indestructible and look good on almost all bikes. And on those where they look out of place just use King Cages cages.

jlwdm
09-23-2015, 08:39 PM
I don't get the Mandible issue on too tight. I guess it depends on the bottles. My bottles are tight but no problem in or out. I use polar bottles.

Jeff

Slow Eddie
09-23-2015, 08:54 PM
I've had the Ciussi on a bike for a long time. Swapped them out for King cages. No regrets.

Also had a Ciussi break on me at the weld point once during a ride. That was no bueno.

When the Ciussi Inox first came out, it was made in Italy. At some point, production was moved to China. I heard a lot of "yeah, my first set has been bombproof, so I got a second set for the other bike and the quality isn't there anymore" stories about those cages.

fiamme red
09-23-2015, 09:02 PM
Nitto for that really special bike: https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/bottlescages/nitto-t-bottle-cage/

Aaron O
09-23-2015, 09:06 PM
When the Ciussi Inox first came out, it was made in Italy. At some point, production was moved to China. I heard a lot of "yeah, my first set has been bombproof, so I got a second set for the other bike and the quality isn't there anymore" stories about those cages.
It moved about a year or two ago - it was recent. It dropped through the toilet.

The italy Inox cages are very beautiful, and they look great on vintage/steel bikes - but if you've used Kings, there's really no debate on function. I have a crap ton of the italian ciussi inox cages on bikes and am contemplating a complete switch over to king iris.

Inox for looks, but Kings are the best cages I've ever used (and it's really not close).

Slow Eddie
09-23-2015, 09:29 PM
There is also the Salsa Nick-Less Cage (http://salsacycles.com/components/category/accessories/nickless_cage). Reminiscent of the Nitto R, but uses burlier-diameter steel rod. Early ones had a propensity to break at the welds, but I think they sorted that out.

There is also the Nitto 80 (https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/bottlescages/nitto-80-bottle-cage/) bottle cage, which is made with stainless tubing rather than solid SS rod. Plus-sized looks (think King Cage Ti vs SS) and lighter than the Type R that it is modeled after.

I have tried just about all of the stainless cages out there. Most of them are good designs, but there are a few to avoid:

1.) The Elite Ciussi Inox, but only the newer, made-in-China ones. The older Italian ones are great.

2.) Velo Orange Cages. All of them. Even the one that looks like a knockoff of the original King Cage Iris design. If you like that one better than the new Iris design, get the one made by Delta. Lots of bad welds on those VO cages.

3.) Blackburn makes 2 versions of their stainless cage: The Swtichback uses 5mm rod, and the Chicane uses 4mm rod. ATMO, the Chicane is too light to hold a big bottle, or be mounted on the seat tube or under the down tube. YMMV.

All that being said, Stainless King Cages are about the best value in a bottle cage of any material.

warren128
09-23-2015, 09:32 PM
very happy with Blackburn Camber cages. Carbon, light, and no issues losing bottles under any circumstances.

Another vote for Blackburn Camber cages. I chose a pair of red ones to match my Red/Black Raleigh restomod build. I'm also happy with their look, weight, and grip.

FlashUNC
09-23-2015, 09:39 PM
A quick word of advice on the King Iris cages. I had a set, and they didn't play well with the Camebak Podium bottles I love. Talked to Ron about it at NAHBS and he admitted it was something of a design shortcoming for that cage, but the other cages he makes play just fine with everything, so I got a set of those and didn't look back.

And those cages look fine on small tube steel.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5723/21676321701_e78c9fb3e4_b.jpg

Rudy
09-23-2015, 09:50 PM
King Cages.

Done is right.

BdaGhisallo
09-24-2015, 04:34 AM
I don't get the Mandible issue on too tight. I guess it depends on the bottles. My bottles are tight but no problem in or out. I use polar bottles.

Jeff

Jeff,

I use Camelbak Podium bottles, both the regular and insulated versions, and it takes a real effort to get them out of and into the mandibles. They go in nice and easily with the Dave-Os and I have never had an issue with losing one.

I think I have a polar bottle lying around somewhere and I'll give that a try.

Cheers,
Geoff

fiamme red
01-10-2016, 12:04 AM
Mariposa bottle cages, expensive but really nice for a classic steel bike: https://mariposabicycles.ca/shop/mariposa-water-bottle-cages/.

ofcounsel
01-10-2016, 12:15 AM
Another vote for Blackburn Camber cages. I chose a pair of red ones to match my Red/Black Raleigh restomod build. I'm also happy with their look, weight, and grip.

Yeah, another vote for the Blackburn Camber cage. No dropped bottles. I like the aesthetic.

brendonk
01-10-2016, 06:23 PM
King on my Ti bike. Andruel mandible on my carbon bike. No need to look any further.

adrien
01-10-2016, 07:09 PM
I have anodized King on the Firefly. Because you pretty much have to, once you leap.

I have Lezyne cages on the lunges steel bike, and I like them a lot. Very light, and you can bend them a little for rough roads. I like how they mirror my brushed lugs.

http://www.lezyne.com/product-botcg-alloycage.php#.VpMARoRRiRg

shovelhd
01-10-2016, 07:09 PM

That's my choice. I need a side loader for the ST cage and they have one that matches.