PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Varia radar and "smart lights" system...opinions?

Porschefan
09-22-2015, 10:07 AM
The latest DC Rainmaker podcast (Interbike) (http://www.dcrainmaker.com/podcast) has a segment on the release of Garmin's new "smart" cycling devices. As someone trying to learn bike skills and safe riding at a pretty late age at first I thought these might be really useful products. I've been getting some riding lessons from my bike "coach" and my latest set of drills are helping me learn to turn and look behind me without lessening bike control. After reading reviews I'm not so sure about how helpful (or not) they might be. For sure I don't think they'd be a substitute for learning the proper riding skills--like checking for traffic visually.

Wondering if anyone here has tried the radar and/or the "smart lights"/turn signals--and/or has any opinion on the products or concept?

STP

simple
09-22-2015, 06:35 PM
I received a Varia radar as a gift a couple of weeks ago, I would recommend it to anyone who rides, or loves, knows, or even kinda likes someone who rides as a nice gift. It detects cars before I hear them, and in the case of electric vehicles that's great since they make little if any noise until they're right up on you. It also does a great job of representing the speed of the vehicle traveling, and the speed of vehicle travel relative to each other in the case of multiple vehicles. I also received a Garmin 1000 and the integration is GREAT.

As good as it is I would add: there is no substitute for a quick look over the shoulder....it is technology after all.

Porschefan
09-22-2015, 06:40 PM
I received a Varia radar as a gift a couple of weeks ago, I would recommend it to anyone who rides, or loves, knows, or even kinda likes someone who rides as a nice gift. It detects cars before I hear them, and in the case of electric vehicles that's great since they make little if any noise until they're right up on you. It also does a great job of representing the speed of the vehicle traveling, and the speed of vehicle travel relative to each other in the case of multiple vehicles. I also received a Garmin 1000 and the integration is GREAT.

As good as it is I would add: there is no substitute for a quick look over the shoulder....it is technology after all.

Wow...nice gift(s)!! Thanks for the info.

STP

makoti
09-22-2015, 07:18 PM

How populated are the areas you ride in? Wondering how the detection is on busy roads.

Themalletor
09-22-2015, 07:55 PM
My question is... What are you going to do with the information? Knowing theres a car approaching you from the rear are you going to swerve off the road?

Porschefan
09-22-2015, 08:10 PM
One of the points made in a couple of the reviews I read was that having the information on the Edge (or the dedicated display) would distract you.

Another component in this system are "smart" lights. Rear facing lights can act as turn signals and the front mounted headlight reacts to changes in speed by tilting up or down to illuminate the area where you are heading.

STP