PDA

View Full Version : Next bike advice: Litespeed, Lynsky, Habanero

cetuximab
09-22-2015, 06:53 AM
My last bike was a Tammaso Super-Legerro Titanium frame. I would have rode it forever. I loved that bike. I got a fatigue crack where the seat tube meets the top tube.
I am using this as an excuse to go disc.
...thinking about hydraulic as well.
Pondering S&S couplers

sandyrs
09-22-2015, 06:59 AM
Gonna need a lot more details than that. What models of each are you looking at? Your link to the Litespeed doesn't seem to work for me.

You mentioned couplers. Are they needed or are you just noting they're an option?

AngryScientist
09-22-2015, 07:01 AM
for the kind of money you're looking at spending, for an off the peg bike...MOOTS all day, every day of the week and twice on sunday.

djg21
09-22-2015, 08:55 AM
I've owned many Ti (and steel) bikes, from Merlins, to Litespeeds and now a Lynskey custom R460. The Lynskey is the best bike I've ever ridden. It is super stiff in the BB with the biaxial 6/4 down tube (I'm big), and extremely comfirtable. The finish and welds are exceptional.

joe.e
09-22-2015, 09:07 AM
for the kind of money you're looking at spending, for an off the peg bike...MOOTS all day, every day of the week and twice on sunday.

this is the correct answer

oldpotatoe
09-22-2015, 09:25 AM

Going to build a Moots with 'wet' Ultegra for $3800-$4500? Big fan of Moots but don't think so.

AND I will add that it is well worth the extra $ to get a Moots.

sandyrs
09-22-2015, 10:20 AM
Going to build a Moots with 'wet' Ultegra for $3800-$4500? Big fan of Moots but don't think so.

Yup, frame alone gets you into the $3500 range.

scpknees
09-22-2015, 10:36 AM
MOOTS... Super Smooth and Flawless craftsmanship. save your money and make the right choice.

scpknees
09-22-2015, 10:39 AM
I've owned many Ti (and steel) bikes, from Merlins, to Litespeeds and now a Lynskey custom R460. The Lynskey is the best bike I've ever ridden. It is super stiff in the BB with the biaxial 6/4 down tube (I'm big), and extremely comfirtable. The finish and welds are exceptional.

sometimes the welds are exceptional.

Vinci
09-22-2015, 12:23 PM
You could probably get the Tamasso fixed.

Not that that should stop you from getting another bike, of course. N+1 and all.

many_styles
09-22-2015, 01:15 PM
Yup, frame alone gets you into the $3500 range.

You can always pick one up 2nd hand.

cetuximab
09-22-2015, 01:19 PM
Isn't welding a fatigue fracture just delaying the inevitable? It will just fatigue crack there again.

I guess I did get a lot of miles for 8 years.

mhespenheide
09-22-2015, 01:23 PM
If you're checking out Habanero, take a look at Carver Bikes (http://carverbikes.com/frames/custom-titanium/) as well. Similar deal: custom Chinese Ti, arranged by a US importer.

Moots is on another level, though...!

tiretrax
09-22-2015, 02:27 PM
Buy my Moots and have them add a disc tab

oldpotatoe
09-22-2015, 02:39 PM
Buy my Moots and have them add a disc tab

Just get a Routt...

Vinci
09-22-2015, 03:06 PM
Isn't welding a fatigue fracture just delaying the inevitable? It will just fatigue crack there again.

I guess I did get a lot of miles for 8 years.
If done right, I don't see why it shouldn't be a permanent fix. That's what's great about metal. It can be fixed. :)

FWIW, if that's a small frame, maybe I'd be interested in fixing it for myself...

Dromen
09-22-2015, 03:48 PM
Got me to the finish line on everything i started.

Moots PX/ENVE Fork w/Shimano Hydro Disc brakes. Only option to consider is more clearance in rear fork...then just go Routt to clear 40s in rear.

Blown up rear bag is a tailgater that got too much mud in the zippers for closing.(Worked fine after cleaning)

downtube
09-22-2015, 03:59 PM
If done right, I don't see why it shouldn't be a permanent fix. That's what's great about metal. It can be fixed. :)

FWIW, if that's a small frame, maybe I'd be interested in fixing it for myself...

It also makes me wonder if the seat post did not have enough insertion depth which caused a high load in that area.

Themalletor
09-22-2015, 09:24 PM
Just be patient and youll find a moots in your price range. Easy to find moots framesets for around 1500.

cetuximab
09-22-2015, 10:57 PM
It also makes me wonder if the seat post did not have enough insertion depth which caused a high load in that area.

I have one of the longer seatposts. The long seatpost is splinting the crack. I noticed the crack 15 min before a 205 mile ride. I rode and finished the ride. The seatpost flexed a little, but lasted 12 hr.

m_sasso
09-22-2015, 11:18 PM
Did you have a rack or some thing else mounted to the seat tube, there appears to be some type of abrasions on the tube? Was this the cause of the fracture?

cetuximab
09-23-2015, 02:29 AM
I had a seattube water bottle holder mounted there. I do not think that was the cause of the failure. I weigh 200 lbs. Why would a few lbs of water cause the fatigue crack?

I think the failure was caused by lots of miles and 200 lbs.

veloduffer
09-23-2015, 07:46 AM
Another vote for Moots, but also Kent Eriksen (founder of Moots) and Jim Kish. I have all three - just terrific bikes that'll last a lifetime.

JMacII
09-23-2015, 08:00 AM
Sorry, I'm confused. If your budget is $4500 but you are recycling most of the parts from the existing bike, why is a Moots (or other frame) out of range? Get a custom frame from builder of your choice for a lot less than that.

Vinci
09-23-2015, 09:26 AM
If he's going to hydraulic disc, he's going to be in for shifters and calipers at minimum. Since his Tammaso is a few years old, it may well be 10-speed, which means most of his group would have to be replaced as well to match the 11-speed shifters.

There are probably ways to fudge it to keep this and that, but it would be easy to see why he might need a bigger budget.

bobswire
09-23-2015, 10:40 AM
A bike is but a tool. Depends on what your own desires are. Nothing the matter with Habaneros other than it's not a designer label. I like the Hab cx version for an all rounder plus $2000-3000 is a lot of money to pay extra for a label.
Though I've owned a few labels,Merlin, Moots, Seven,Cinelli,Serotta's etc to name a few and liked them all besides when you come right down to it the placebo effect cannot be discounted.
Right now my main ride is a Soma Stanyan, I would put the ride quality and feel of it against any bike I've owned but then again that is subjective and my needs are minimalistic and simple.
I'm at that part of my life I've pretty much fulfilled all my bucket list so take anything I say with a grain of salt. :)

tumbler
09-23-2015, 12:02 PM
A bike is but a tool. Depends on what your own desires are. Nothing the matter with Habaneros other than it's not a designer label. I like the Hab cx version for an all rounder plus $2000-3000 is a lot of money to pay extra for a label.
Though I've owned a few labels,Merlin, Moots, Seven,Cinelli,Serotta's etc to name a few and liked them all besides when you come right down to it the placebo effect cannot be discounted.
Right now my main ride is a Soma Stanyan, I would put the ride quality and feel of it against any bike I've owned but then again that is subjective and my needs are minimalistic and simple.
I'm at that part of my life I've pretty much fulfilled all my bucket list so take anything I say with a grain of salt. :)

+1. Nothing wrong with a Moots or a Firefly. Aesthetically, they are top notch and I would love to own either. But I agree that there is not a world of difference when riding one decent bike vs. another. Ride quality is subjective and fit/wheels/tires/saddle make a bigger difference than the frame or how beautiful the welds are. One man's noodle is another man's cloud. When you take away the price and brand cache, I suspect our preferences would be all over the place.

That being said, I appreciate aesthetics/heritage/craftsmanship and don't mind paying for those when the $ and desire are there.

SELFdizolve
09-23-2015, 08:58 PM
I'm a new owner of Lynskey. was thinking of going 2nd hand for "other brands" but couldn't beat the Lynskey sale prices. Give them a if ordering, couldn't have helped me more.

cetuximab
09-24-2015, 12:22 AM
Sorry, I'm confused. If your budget is $4500 but you are recycling most of the parts from the existing bike, why is a Moots (or other frame) out of range? Get a custom frame from builder of your choice for a lot less than that.

After many years, my career and budget is to a point where I could buy "that bike". But is it hard to spend money.

The Moots Routt looks beautiful.

The Habanero is $2k cheaper.

Thank you all for the great suggestions.

bart998
09-24-2015, 12:37 AM
http://www.deanbikes.com/rando2.html

ghcs
09-24-2015, 07:14 AM
I'm a new owner of Lynskey. was thinking of going 2nd hand for "other brands" but couldn't beat the Lynskey sale prices. Give them a if ordering, couldn't have helped me more.

x2, except for the ordering part. Got an NOS bike (2014, I think) at an LBS for a great price. So far, it is exceptional.

cetuximab
09-26-2015, 02:32 PM
I send a picture to Pioneer Frameworks. They were generous enough to look and respond. A crack in that position will be contaminated with grease/anti sieze and not allow any repair welding.

Thanks for all the responses.

I flop back and forth between a Habanero cross and Moots Routt.

JLNK
09-26-2015, 03:09 PM
I have 3 custom Habanero road frames. I am 6'3'' and 215lbs. The frames are very comfortable but there is no bottom bracket flex when standing in a big gear. The welds are incredible, better than I have seen on much more expensive frames. If you need a fancy name on the downtube then obviously this frame maker is not for you.

Netdewt
09-27-2015, 08:02 AM
I have 3 custom Habanero road frames. I am 6'3'' and 215lbs. The frames are very comfortable but there is no bottom bracket flex when standing in a big gear. The welds are incredible, better than I have seen on much more expensive frames. If you need a fancy name on the downtube then obviously this frame maker is not for you.

Well that sure makes me want a Habanero...
http://www.habcycles.com/cross.html

J. Anquetil
09-27-2015, 12:19 PM
Hampsten, Eriksen. I own a MOOTS, great bicycle, gets no better than that, but Eriksen taught MOOTS how to build frames, and Hampsten's frames are just as good. All three are the very best there is in Ti.

gomango
09-27-2015, 04:12 PM
I send a picture to Pioneer Frameworks. They were generous enough to look and respond. A crack in that position will be contaminated with grease/anti sieze and not allow any repair welding.

Thanks for all the responses.

I flop back and forth between a Habanero cross and Moots Routt.

I've decided to place an order for a Routt 45.

When?

The day I hit a new weight goal of 175.

In addition, the Routt 45 will help me sell off three to four bikes.

The shop I hang at is a Moots dealer and they already have me measured for the frameset.

thirdgenbird
09-27-2015, 04:18 PM
Cool news Grady. 6800 w/ wet brakes?

WI centerlock hubs to archetype?

gomango
09-27-2015, 04:41 PM
Cool news Grady. 6800 w/ wet brakes?

WI centerlock hubs to archetype?

Exactly.

Thank goodness my weight is going south instead of north.

Never take good health for granted folks.

Fwiw I'll use the Twin Six frameset as a place holder till the goal is met.

Netdewt
09-27-2015, 04:44 PM
Nice work Grady.

gomango
09-27-2015, 06:20 PM
Nice work Grady.

Heh thanks! :)

A Routt 45 looks way too versatile to pass on.

I love the frameset's ability to handle some seriously wide tires.

More than handy for the terrain I ride.

oldpotatoe
09-28-2015, 07:45 AM
I've decided to place an order for a Routt 45.

When?

The day I hit a new weight goal of 175.

In addition, the Routt 45 will help me sell off three to four bikes.

The shop I hang at is a Moots dealer and they already have me measured for the frameset.

Huzza!!!!