PDA

View Full Version : OT: 10 fingers and 10 toes...

SoCalSteve
09-21-2015, 10:18 PM
and a new knee.

Hi all,

Back home, walked out the hospital with a walker, same day. Gotta love modern medicine!

I'd be lying if I said it's not painful. It's extremely painful. Again, gotta love modern drugs and boy, they gave me some very strong ones.

Started doing the physical therapy when I got home. Very simple movements to get the knee moving. And yeah, very painful. I now understand why people aren't as successful as others with rehab. It's hard because of the pain.

Ok, enough for now ( I've used the word pain too much ). Tomorrow is another day, hopefully the pain will subside some and I'll continue doing the PT in earnest.

Again, thank you all for your positive thoughts, experiences and well wishes.

Steve

gasman
09-21-2015, 10:23 PM
Yay Steve !! The pain will be potentially worse tomorrow after the local anesthetic wears off. But, it will get slowly better every day though you will hate your physical therapist.
Congratulations

ultraman6970
09-21-2015, 10:23 PM
Get well soon! :)

Louis
09-21-2015, 10:26 PM
Congrats for making it out safely. :)

When my left knee was 'scoped years and years ago they pumped me full of some pain stuff and sent me home that afternoon with some pain pills for good measure. I felt well enough to walk around the kitchen and make some pasta for myself and my GF, then before bed was supposed to take some of the pills. I felt so good that I figured I'd be a tough guy and not take any of the pills.

I went to bed and woke up around 2 AM with the most severe large-scale pain I'd ever felt before in my life (large scale as opposed to the really short sharp stuff you can get if you stub your toe or get something in your eye). I somehow dragged myself to the bathroom, took some of the pills and went back to sleep. When I woke up the next morning most of the pain was gone and I never had to take any more of the pills.

I hope your stay in the pain cave is as short as mine. Given that your surgery was way more significant I wish you well, and good luck with the PT.

jasonification
09-21-2015, 10:36 PM
Yay for having all your limbs intact! More positive energies your way in hopes you have a quick and progressive rehabilitation!

Tickdoc
09-21-2015, 10:37 PM
:banana:

Welcome back! The rehab sucks, but it works. You'll be back on a bike before you know it. ( it may be a stationary bike, but hey, that's a bike!)

Brian Cdn
09-21-2015, 10:47 PM
Hooray ! :beer:

Glad it went well.

FlashUNC
09-21-2015, 10:48 PM
Just put in the work and it'll pay off on the back-end. Docs put in a nerve block in my neck for my elbow. Man, when that thing came out after 48 hours...I thought my arm hurt before....

Hope they gave you the good drugs! Though there are easier ways to get opiates....

Elefantino
09-21-2015, 11:31 PM
Only the best to you, buddy.

You'll work hard and it will hurt. Cursing a blue streak helps. Then, you'll push through the threshold and you'll be ripping it up on the road again.

:hello:

soulspinner
09-22-2015, 05:28 AM
Cool. I can remember being in rehab thinking it shouldn't hurt this much. In a matter of weeks you will be dropping beer laden old men like myself :beer:

SPOKE
09-22-2015, 05:35 AM
Bionic Steve!!!!

Ken Robb
09-22-2015, 05:37 AM
There is a reason we call them "physical terrorists". :rolleyes:

AngryScientist
09-22-2015, 06:37 AM
good for you Steve. it takes some real courage to take that first step and get the surgury done. you're on the back end now, cheers.

yakstone
09-22-2015, 07:27 AM
Have an extremely attractive PT goes a long way to eliminate a lot of that hate.

danielpack22@ma
09-22-2015, 07:32 AM
Rehab sucks, but it makes all the difference!

Hang in there!

cdn_bacon
09-22-2015, 09:11 AM
Speedy recovery.

You'll have some free time to stalk the classifieds..

MattTuck
09-22-2015, 09:58 AM
Great to hear Steve.

Now that you're the bionic man, please go easy on us un-enhanced humans.

bironi
09-22-2015, 12:38 PM
Don't sweat the PT.
It really wasn't bad and didn't take long either.

EPIC! Stratton
09-22-2015, 12:47 PM
Glad to hear you've been sent home. Hope you're back on the bike soon. You're now the Six Million Dollar SoCalSteve

merlinmurph
09-22-2015, 12:51 PM
Wow, typing complete, coherent sentences under the influence of drugs. I'd say you're doing well.

Good luck in PT - and work hard at it. Yup, it sucks, but it's worth it.

Keith A
09-22-2015, 12:54 PM
Rehab sucks, but it makes all the difference!

Hang in there!Maybe I'm odd, but I liked rehab since that meant I was getting better and improving.

Steve -- Glad all went well and I hope you have a speedy recovery!

guido
09-22-2015, 01:12 PM
Recovery is a bitch the but the alternatives are unacceptable.

Good job getting this far!

biker72
09-22-2015, 03:43 PM
and a new knee.

Hi all,
I'd be lying if I said it's not painful. It's extremely painful. Again, gotta love modern drugs and boy, they gave me some very strong ones.

Ok, enough for now ( I've used the word pain too much ).

Steve

Steve, you can't say painful enough times to describe what you're going through.
My wife had both knees done at the same time. We had megadoses of pain medication in our medicine cabinet.

djg21
09-22-2015, 04:22 PM
and a new knee.

Hi all,

Back home, walked out the hospital with a walker, same day. Gotta love modern medicine!

Started doing the physical therapy when I got home. Very simple movements to get the knee moving. And yeah, very painful. I now understand why people aren't as successful as others with rehab. It's hard because of the pain.

Ok, enough for now ( I've used the word pain too much ). Tomorrow is another day, hopefully the pain will subside some and I'll continue doing the PT in earnest.

Again, thank you all for your positive thoughts, experiences and well wishes.

Steve

I said it on your other thread. Keep up on the pain meds and don't try to ween yourself off early. You will be unable to do PT without them for a while. They suck, and screw up your GI system, but the pain is miserable without them.

cnighbor1
09-22-2015, 04:28 PM
think vitiam c e

VTCaraco
09-22-2015, 05:03 PM
Consider the advice on keeping the pain in check through following what the MD recommends. Hurting too much can impair the healing/rehab, but you probably already know that.

Beyond that, nothing but great wishes for you, Steve. Go get 'em!

professerr
09-22-2015, 06:46 PM
Maybe I'm odd, but I liked rehab since that meant I was getting better and improving.

Steve -- Glad all went well and I hope you have a speedy recovery!

That's how I've always looked at my several tough stints in rehab. It is like getting in shape, but from a much lower point. Different sort of pain, but in the end it is "good pain" because it is, you know, good for you. I've never gone through a joint replacement though...

And speaking of pain, Steve's likely been told this already by his doctor: take the recommended meds to "stay ahead of the pain curve". I didn't and would try to tough it out by avoiding as much pain killer as I could stand before going back on full doses. Looking back now, that was stupid and I suspect it retarded my recovery because I was under much greater stress and slept terribly.

TimD
09-22-2015, 07:21 PM
Good news things went well. Be disciplined in your exercise & PT regimen and you'll improve quickly.

As for the pain, you're a cyclist, don't you like pain? :D

Tim*

* Who, after crashing Aug 1, waited 7 hours before going to the ER, just to be absolutely, positively certain his arm was broken...

Elefantino
09-22-2015, 07:43 PM
Maybe I'm odd, but I liked rehab since that meant I was getting better and improving.
You just liked the young blondes, right?

SoCalSteve
09-22-2015, 10:01 PM
Physical Therapy review:

And I thought I was in pain before...:eek:

But the good news: after lots of icing and a few more pills, I am feeling a bit better.

Thanks to everyone who suggested the circulating icing machine. I just bought one with Amazon Prime. It will be here on Thursday. Wish I would have known about it sooner, I would have been better prepared.

3 x " Pain Therapy " tomorrow. Not looking forward to it.

Steve

blessthismess
09-22-2015, 11:40 PM
Hang in there, you are doing the right thing. Glad to hear your'e on the mend. I'm sure it's not the greatest feeling but nothing good comes easy, no pain no gain, always darkest before the dawn etc etc ;)

teleguy57
09-23-2015, 09:39 AM
Glad to hear the surgery went well and you're on the recovery road. Continuing to send good thoughts on improving ROM and all the good stuff, and pain that moderates and goes away as you get stronger.

wc1934
09-23-2015, 11:43 AM
Best wishes on a speedy recovery - continue to push yourself, just don't overdo it - get well soon!

dgauthier
09-24-2015, 03:40 AM
(…) Ok, enough for now ( I've used the word pain too much ). (…)

My very very best wishes to you for a speedy recovery Steve. And embrace the pain. Pain from damage is bad. Pain as part of guaranteed healing, well, it almost feels good. (Don't ask me how I know.) Listen to your body and follow your doctor's instructions to the letter, and Godspeed.

Keith A
09-24-2015, 08:23 AM
You just liked the young blondes, right?
And her name is Olga :eek:

http://www.remedial-massage.com.au/images/massage11.jpg

tiretrax
09-24-2015, 10:22 AM
Best wishes to you, and I hope you're back on the road (and riding stronger) soon.

93legendti
09-24-2015, 11:19 AM
Hope you have a speedy, full recovery