PDA

View Full Version : Brooks saddle and rain

CNY rider
05-15-2006, 06:33 PM
Anyone have a good estimate of how much rain a Brooks saddle can handle?

For instance, I rode my commuter home in a light to moderate, steady rain today. I have fenders, so there's no road spray. Ride was 30 minutes. Brooks Swift appeared to be fine after I wiped it down.

How risky is it to expose it to rain? Is there a duration of time to stay under? I really love this saddle and don't want to ruin it.

Thanks.

Rapid Tourist
05-15-2006, 06:45 PM
I know this particular ride is over, but I always carry a folded up plastic grocery bag in the saddle bag for just this occassion. Tie the handles together under your saddle and ride worry free in the rain.

If the saddle does not look soaked through with water (easier to tell on a brown brooks than a black one), I'd say you are fine but don't ride on it again until it dries fully.

dbrk
05-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Be sure to let it dry! And get yourself a saddle bonnet. This one works for a Swift as well as a B17: http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/saddles_accessories/11014.html

dbrk

dave thompson
05-15-2006, 07:35 PM
My wife and I used the Brooks raincovers on our European cycling trip last year. Good thing too as it rained very heavily (massive floods in the Alps) for 8 out of 14 days! The covers worked very nicely. Proofide also helps. Put some on the underside too.

goonster
05-15-2006, 08:03 PM
Brookses will get wet, even under a bonnet. The key is not to let them get completely soaked and then continuing to ride them. If that happens, and you continue to ride for several more hours, it is possible to ruin it in a single ride. Do not, for example, drive the Brooks through a rainstorm on top of your car, and then ride it.

If, however, the saddle is Proofided* regularly and sparingly, is protected from direct spray by a rear fender and protected from above primarily by a rider, but also by a cover, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It'll get wet, but you will let it dry slowly (no direct heat source) and completely.

* I actually now prefer Obenauf's leather preserver. It contains beeswax, is somewhat less greasy, smells great, and I've conned myself into thinking that it is more water repellent.

CNY rider
05-16-2006, 06:55 AM
Thanks everyone for all the excellent info.

As expected, the saddle was completely dry and none worse for the wear this morning. And my plastic bag improvised cover awaits in case it rains this afternoon. :beer:

palincss
05-16-2006, 02:27 PM
Brookses will get wet, even under a bonnet. The key is not to let them get completely soaked and then continuing to ride them. If that happens, and you continue to ride for several more hours, it is possible to ruin it in a single ride. Do not, for example, drive the Brooks through a rainstorm on top of your car, and then ride it.

If, however, the saddle is Proofided* regularly and sparingly, is protected from direct spray by a rear fender and protected from above primarily by a rider, but also by a cover, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It'll get wet, but you will let it dry slowly (no direct heat source) and completely.

A while ago, Saran had a line of plastic bowl covers called QuickCovers. The medium size was a good fit for a Brooks saddle. I put one of those on top of the saddle, tuck it in nicely, and then cover that with the Riv saddle bonnet. This way, the abrasion is on the sturdy fabric cover, but any leakage gets stopped by the waterproof (but light and relatively fragile) bowl cover. This setup really is waterproof.

goonster
05-16-2006, 02:33 PM
This setup really is waterproof.

That is a lofty claim, but I have no reason to doubt you. :)

We may have some of these covers at home. If so, I will put your system to the test in the next couple of days. :beer:

Ahneida Ride
05-16-2006, 03:40 PM
I got my B67 rather wet on one occasion.

No damage at all. Repetitive exposure could be lethal.

shaq-d
05-16-2006, 03:48 PM
i guess i'm not too particular..my commuter is out in the rain regularly, uncovered by bags nor roofs nor butt, but the b17 is still fine to me..

sd

MartyE
05-16-2006, 04:30 PM
Anyone have a good estimate of how much rain a Brooks saddle can handle?

Not as much as New England is getting imnsho atmo