PDA

View Full Version : What can I use for a Jtek Shiftmate "nipple?"

SlackMan
09-21-2015, 12:40 PM
Over a month ago I bought a Jtek ShiftMate Model 1 from a fellow Paceliner. He failed to include the nipple (see picture below), and then after promising to send it, has failed to respond to multiple PMs and emails. So, does anyone have any ideas on what part I could use in place of the nipple shown in the instruction sheet below?

The nipple sits between the ShiftMate body and the barrel adjuster. It sits outside the ShiftMate body where the cable exits through a small exit hole -- the nipple does not fit into the ShiftMate because the exit hole is just larger than the cable. I assume the original nipple would have just a small entrance hole for the cable on the side that faces the ShiftMate body. And then the other side of the nipple would need to mate up to the barrel adjuster. I looked around in my toolbox and chest of miscellaneous parts, but nothing jumped out as being a good substitute. I would greatly appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

fogrider
09-21-2015, 12:58 PM
not sure if a brake or shift cable ferrule will work. maybe one with adjustment like this: https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=41887&category=1613

I got a couple from my LBS for another issue.

zennmotion
09-21-2015, 12:58 PM
I have 2 Jteks- the nipple is just a metal cable ferrule, nothing proprietary. These things grow like valve caps around my bench, they just magically appear.

m_sasso
09-21-2015, 01:01 PM
I would think a modified Al cable ferrule would solve your problem.

SlackMan
09-21-2015, 01:04 PM
I have 2 Jteks- the nipple is just a metal cable ferrule, nothing proprietary. These things grow like valve caps around my bench, they just magically appear.

Thanks. Like this, with a big opening on one end?

zennmotion
09-21-2015, 03:16 PM
Thanks. Like this, with a big opening on one end?

Yup.

ultraman6970
09-21-2015, 04:59 PM
I have run that w/o the nipple thingy and using a piece of derailleur casing.

SlackMan
09-21-2015, 05:45 PM
Thanks Zenn! Ultraman, by 'derailleur casing' do you mean derailleur cable housing?

foon
09-21-2015, 07:13 PM
You can get it from jtek directly. I lost mine and contacted them, and they were nice enough to send me one for free.

ultraman6970
09-21-2015, 08:00 PM
Yeah... the nipple is there just to avoid frction, cut a piece of derailleur cable casing, like 5 mm or more if you want. It will work just fine.