PDA

View Full Version : Shots fired at Group Ride.

djg21
09-21-2015, 12:21 PM
I just received this link on Facebook. I don't know if it can get worse than this: a (presumably) drunk in an automobile at 8:50 AM who is armed. Maybe Rapha should start marketing bullet-proof vests?

http://www.ky3.com/news/local/man-arrested-after-shots-fired-at-bicycling-club-near-sparta/21048998_35372668

velomonkey
09-21-2015, 12:27 PM
Let's look at the facts:

Charges: stealing a car, beating a man and shooting at a group of cyclists

Where in the county did this happen: Sparta

Clearly, in 'Christian County' one can just go all primordial in Sparta - did the guy yell "THIS IS SPARTA" when the cops nabbed him. WTH.

Shortsocks
09-21-2015, 12:31 PM
What the hell?

Watch them ticket the man for, "improperly Handling a Firearm."

LegendRider
09-21-2015, 12:32 PM
I was on a group ride in Atlanta many years ago that passed through a rough neighborhood and a buddy of mine was shot in the calf with a pellet gun. He went to the hospital but thankfully the injury was relatively minor. The culprit was never caught.

buddybikes
09-21-2015, 01:18 PM
Not in the same category but paddling a local lake, community beach with lifeguards - kid threw a substantial size rock at me/my kayak missing barely.

I screamed onshore - nobody cared.

bcroslin
09-21-2015, 01:23 PM
We've had cyclists here in St Pete shot with pellet guns. Sucks and the cops didn't take it seriously. Recently someone has been scattering tacks all over the roads and on one of the bridges that groups ride. DOT cleaned up the bike lanes and yesterday 7 cyclists got flats because there were more tacks on the bridge. Someone stopped and cleaned up a handful of tacks from the bridge.

This crap is getting old and I totally understand why people get frustrated and go vigilante.

bikingshearer
09-21-2015, 02:03 PM
Oh, he won't get off lightly. After all, he did steal a car, too, and the authorities frown on that. :mad:

One of the comments after the liked story had it right: "There's drunk, and then there's 8:40 a.m. drunk."

inlimbo87
09-21-2015, 02:09 PM
Well that's terrifying. Glad no one was hurt!

benc
09-21-2015, 03:07 PM
What ride and where legendrider? We have a neighbor in Grant Park who was shot while jogging many years ago.

Mr. Pink
09-21-2015, 08:36 PM
One of the comments after the liked story had it right: "There's drunk, and then there's 8:40 a.m. drunk."

My first thoughts, too. But, hey, maybe he had a rough night shift. Real rough.

JAllen
09-21-2015, 09:39 PM
This crap is getting old and I totally understand why people get frustrated and go vigilante.

Yeah no kidding!

We've had some seasons with tacs being scattered all over a few bridges here, too.

I had heard a few years ago about some A-hole kids in a rough part of Portland hucking bricks at cyclists. I think someone was injured seriously.

Aaron O
09-21-2015, 09:52 PM
We've had cyclists here in St Pete shot with pellet guns. Sucks and the cops didn't take it seriously. Recently someone has been scattering tacks all over the roads and on one of the bridges that groups ride. DOT cleaned up the bike lanes and yesterday 7 cyclists got flats because there were more tacks on the bridge. Someone stopped and cleaned up a handful of tacks from the bridge.

What is in your Florida water? I have never encountered so much cyclist hatred as I did in Tampa, st Pete and sarasota. There was some trail in sarasota and this insane, extremely rich woman kept lacing it with traps because the cyclists ruined her view. She did this for years and got away with it. I sort of understand the hatred in Tampa - very few of the roads are safe for bikes and biking threw a wrench in things.

bcroslin
09-21-2015, 09:59 PM
What is in your Florida water? I have never encountered so much cyclist hatred as I did in Tampa, st Pete and sarasota. There was some trail in sarasota and this insane, extremely rich woman kept lacing it with traps because the cyclists ruined her view. She did this for years and got away with it. I sort of understand the hatred in Tampa - very few of the roads are safe for bikes and biking threw a wrench in things.

there's a lot of miserable people down here with lots of time on their hands due to being retired or unemployed. Everything you think about FL is true and actually it's probably even worse. But it's home. Sigh.

ultraman6970
09-21-2015, 10:14 PM
Like 6 months ago with a friend we were teased while passing a couple walking in the trail... with my friend we were like... "did you hear that?? a teaser???, ···...???" we called the cops, the cop that arrived was a cyclist too so he had the intentions to do something, they closed the exits and stuff. No idea what happened later or if they talked to them.

Some people just need to disappear of this world... or at least cut their gonads so their gene line disappears forever.

smontanaro
09-22-2015, 08:58 AM
Given that nobody was hurt, I will take a shot (so to speak) at a bit of humor...

I find it a bit ironic that the riders were from the Springfield Brewing Company (http://www.springfieldbrewingco.com/beers/) cycling team. I wonder if maybe the drunk shooter had a few Springfield beers the night before.

chiasticon
09-22-2015, 09:42 AM
Like 6 months ago with a friend we were teased while passing a couple walking in the trail... with my friend we were like... "did you hear that?? a teaser???, ï½·ï½·ï½·...???"
wait...teased, or TASED?!? one is name-calling, the other is a weapon :no:

druptight
09-22-2015, 09:43 AM
I actually hear this a lot from people living down there. Do you endure it due to weather? Work? Must be something like that.

there's a lot of miserable people down here with lots of time on their hands due to being retired or unemployed. Everything you think about FL is true and actually it's probably even worse. But it's home. Sigh.

bcroslin
09-22-2015, 10:32 AM
I actually hear this a lot from people living down there. Do you endure it due to weather? Work? Must be something like that.

Something like 2k-3k people move to FL everyday. You meet very few locals (of which I'm one) living here and it seems like everyone who moves here is running away from something whether it be perceived higher taxes up north, the cold weather or high cost of living. As a result, we unfortunately get lots of people living way out on the margins. We get lots of "rugged-individualist" types without a pot to piss in and they're usually the most miserable. There's nothing worse than some jerk who's unemployed, living on assistance or odd jobs who drinks beer all day and thinks everyone else is the problem. Then we have the old entitled retirees in their crown vic's who think they shouldn't have to pay taxes at all and that they own the road and everything was better up north.

Florida really is it's own planet compared to the rest of the country.

smontanaro
09-22-2015, 10:46 AM
Then we have the old entitled retirees in their crown vic's who think they shouldn't have to pay taxes at all and that they own the road and everything was better up north.

Jerry Seinfeld on Florida drivers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT-sBagXbT0)

Aaron O
09-22-2015, 10:56 AM
Something like 2k-3k people move to FL everyday. You meet very few locals (of which I'm one) living here and it seems like everyone who moves here is running away from something whether it be perceived higher taxes up north, the cold weather or high cost of living. As a result, we unfortunately get lots of people living way out on the margins. We get lots of "rugged-individualist" types without a pot to piss in and they're usually the most miserable. There's nothing worse than some jerk who's unemployed, living on assistance or odd jobs who drinks beer all day and thinks everyone else is the problem. Then we have the old entitled retirees in their crown vic's who think they shouldn't have to pay taxes at all and that they own the road and everything was better up north.

Florida really is it's own planet compared to the rest of the country.

Dude...post of the year. There really is nothing worse than people on subsidies complaining about other people's subsidies.

I can honestly say Tampa was the most cookie cutter, depressing, miserable, no culture place I've ever been.

ultraman6970
09-22-2015, 11:00 AM
Sorry... tased :) the autocorrection do not fix wrong words... :) thanks! :)

wait...teased, or TASED?!? one is name-calling, the other is a weapon :no:

ultraman6970
09-22-2015, 11:02 AM
Lived there... the city is weird... :/

Dont like FL in general lines, you never know what people is really thinking...

Dude...post of the year. There really is nothing worse than people on subsidies complaining about other people's subsidies.

I can honestly say Tampa was the most cookie cutter, depressing, miserable, no culture place I've ever been.

bcroslin
09-22-2015, 01:27 PM

And the thing is I totally agree with you BUT right over the bay in St Pete we have this amazing thing going that just gets better every day. We have a beautiful waterfront with restaurants and things to do. A thriving arts scene that is exploding and one of the most walkable and rideable cities in FL. St Pete is IMO the best city in FL with one of the best cycling scenes in the south.

So, just keep in mind that there are some gems in this god-forsaken state.

Brian Cdn
09-22-2015, 02:00 PM
What the hell?

Watch them ticket the man for, "improperly Handling a Firearm."

or the greater offense of "Improper display of firearm in pickup truck window"

Aaron O
09-22-2015, 02:04 PM
And the thing is I totally agree with you BUT right over the bay in St Pete we have this amazing thing going that just gets better every day. We have a beautiful waterfront with restaurants and things to do. A thriving arts scene that is exploding and one of the most walkable and rideable cities in FL. St Pete is IMO the best city in FL with one of the best cycling scenes in the south.

The water front was just developing when I lived there...you could see the seeds, but they had barely germinated. I saw a few shows back then at Janis Landing (may have spelling wrong). Even back then St. Pete was better than Tampa. The cool galleries and hang outs had left Ybor and were moving in that direction.

SteveV0983
09-22-2015, 09:07 PM

I live in Naples and think it's a great place to ride. I've never been harassed and drivers are typically courteous and give you the right of way. Just thought someone needed to stick up for Florida. I was raised in New England and then lived in Maryland, Minnesota, Los Angeles, and Orange County CA and have now called Naples home by choice for the last 15 years. It's a huge friggin' state with a huge population so you're going to get all kinds, but contrary to popular belief, not all of us are losers....
And of course while many out there are freezing and "layering up" or on indoor trainers come January, we'll be riding by the beach or island hopping along the gulf coast. I may even have to break out the long sleeve shirts!

Mr. Pink
09-22-2015, 10:54 PM
Yeah, but, your biggest hill is the bridge over the local waterway.

Mr. Pink
09-22-2015, 10:56 PM
Something like 2k-3k people move to FL everyday.

Probably the same amount die very day.

bcroslin
09-23-2015, 05:47 AM
Probably the same amount die very day.

If only that were true. :)

Elefantino
09-23-2015, 10:21 AM
There's Florida, and then there's Jacksonville.

dawgie
09-23-2015, 10:28 AM
The group that I ride with was shot at a couple of years ago, and one of my friends got hit in the legs. A lot of local cyclists ride on that road, and several local residents were clearly annoyed based on previous incidents with drivers honking, yelling and passing too close for comfort.

The sheriff's department investigated and apparently found the culprits, some teenage boys, if I recall correctly. They didn't charge them with any crimes but supposedly gave them a stiff warning. Seems like a slap on the wrist for a clear assault that could have led to serious injuries or worse. Fortunately my friend was not hurt badly.

smontanaro
09-30-2015, 06:57 AM

Apparently, Jeff Vinik, owner of the Tampa Bay Lightning, hopes to change at least some aspects of that:

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/news/2015/09/29/viniks-downtown-tampadistrict-will-have-a-20m.html

Netdewt
09-30-2015, 07:10 AM
We've had a few cyclists get jumped while riding at night on "the greenway", a path through the middle of the city.

It had me briefly thinking I should consider a conceal and carry...

ultraman6970
09-30-2015, 07:59 AM
IN my country some riders were carrying a gun when training.

bcroslin
09-30-2015, 08:05 AM
Apparently, Jeff Vinik, owner of the Tampa Bay Lightning, hopes to change at least some aspects of that:

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/news/2015/09/29/viniks-downtown-tampadistrict-will-have-a-20m.html

Vinik is an impressive guy. He came to town several years ago and saved the hockey team and he hasn't stopped investing in the area. Downtown Tampa is going to be totally transformed by the time he's done. I photographed him for a magazine earlier in the year and he was unpretentious and easy to talk to. He seems like a good guy all around and even though he's looking to make money on his investments his heart seems to be in the right place.

LegendRider
09-30-2015, 09:00 AM
IN my country some riders were carrying a gun when training.

Discreetly or like this?