PDA

View Full Version : tubie suggestions?

AngryScientist
09-21-2015, 08:43 AM
i know it's been covered before, but hey, it's:

1) a discussion board right?
2) monday morning

just bought the record/nemesis wheelset, and my only other tubular wheelset is on a fixed gear bike that sees limited use. so refresh my memory, what's the go-to tubular tire for general road riding? thinking vittoria corsas of some sort?

also - what's the "kit" i need to obtain, namely:

1) glue
2) brush?
3) compact spare tire

thoughts for a rookie??

sjauch2
09-21-2015, 08:48 AM
Corsa's are a fine tire. I carry a 22mm Gatorskin for a spare.

Mastik One is probably the best. Get acid/flux brushes (Home Depot has them) and cut down the bristles a bit. Allows better control when spreading glue.

Enjoy the Mastik high.

oldpotatoe
09-21-2015, 08:54 AM

2) monday morning

just bought the record/nemesis wheelset, and my only other tubular wheelset is on a fixed gear bike that sees limited use. so refresh my memory, what's the go-to tubular tire for general road riding? thinking vittoria corsas of some sort?

1) glue
2) brush?
3) compact spare tire

thoughts for a rookie??

Vitoria Corsa Elite in 25c. 290 tpi, butyl tube, great $.

Can of tubie glue, wee solvent brush.

Glue tire
Glue rim
Glue tire
Glue rim
Glue tire

Just that fast, light coats. When glue on tire doesn't stick to your fingers(about 15 minutes), glue on rim, mount that stretched tire, little air, center tire, roll on floor, let set 24 hours-go ride.

Samo for spare....glue, then let set, fold, under seat with a Binda or Campagnolo toe strap.

oldpotatoe
09-21-2015, 08:56 AM

Glue tire
Glue rim
Glue tire
Glue rim
Glue tire

Just that fast, light coats. When glue on tire doesn't stick to your fingers(about 15 minutes), glue on rim, mount that stretched tire, little air, center tire, roll on floor, let set 24 hours-go ride.

Samo for spare....glue, then let set, fold, under seat with a Binda or Campagnolo toe strap.

My favorite is Panaracer tubie glue. Clear, doesn't get thick like Mastik after you open the can but, 'take a trip without leaving the farm' with Pana..use in well ventilated area.

AngryScientist
09-21-2015, 08:58 AM
so the basement shop with no windows is a good spot then?

thwart
09-21-2015, 08:59 AM

2) monday morning

1) glue
2) brush?
3) compact spare tire

thoughts for a rookie??

Frequently discussed topic. I think I'll sic a moderator on you for not just using the 'search' function... wait... :D

sparky33
09-21-2015, 09:02 AM
Get a bunch of plastic 20mL medical syringes.

It moves glue from the can to the rim quickly and neatly, then use an acid brush to spread out the bead of glue.

Joxster
09-21-2015, 09:06 AM
Cut the end of the brush in to a \_/ shape, I used a contact carpet adhesive from a car shop. Fit the tub to the rims, gas it up and straighten then take a pencil and mark round the rim on both sides so you know where to put the glue and its a line to get it on straight. I put a layer on the rim and tub, then let it dry. Followed by another layer on the rim and tub and when its tacky I fit it. I also take one of the tubs off and use that one as my spare and glue on a fresh tub. I use a countersink drill bit on the valve hole, so the tub seats better, good rims have this already. My list of go to tubs are Veloflex Pave and Corsa CXs for the road and Contis for the track.

ik2280
09-21-2015, 09:08 AM
I'd highly recommend Pave 27 tubs.

nooneline
09-21-2015, 09:21 AM
Just whatever you do, avoid Tubasti like the plague.

teleguy57
09-21-2015, 09:27 AM

Glue tire
Glue rim
Glue tire
Glue rim
Glue tire

The master has spoken. Close thread. (If you want to spend more on tires or require tan sidewalls or green stripes, then Vittoria Corsa SCs in 25 or Paves in 27:))

Joachim
09-21-2015, 09:28 AM
vitoria corsa elite in 25c. 290 tpi, butyl tube, great $.

+258. Thats what I use and Panaracer glue. A while back there were Panaracer Race Type A tubulars. Fantastic. Can't find them anymore.

AngryScientist
09-21-2015, 09:28 AM
OK, looks like a PBK order in my future...

Joachim
09-21-2015, 09:30 AM
OK, looks like a PBK order in my future...

For the Corsa Elite? Ribble. $35 or so

StephenCL
09-21-2015, 09:37 AM
I would add that I have been loving the Elites for training. I'm getting about 1500 miles from the rears...and I love the butyl tubes...

Still like velolex Carbons or Arenberg for racing though..

Stephen

AngryScientist
09-21-2015, 09:42 AM
For the Corsa Elite? Ribble. $35 or so

cool.

looks like the "rally" is 15 bucks too. good spare?

Joachim
09-21-2015, 09:45 AM
cool.

Never used those. Maybe. I have a 21mm Tangente tubular as spare.

lhuerta
09-21-2015, 10:14 AM
cool.

...careful, these have non-removable valve cores which will make them less then ideal for rims over 25mm deep and more importantly, you will be unable to apply most sealants.

Vitt is releasing their new tubular design and are no longer listing Pave and a few other models on their website, so this might be the time to hoard your favorite Vitt tubular. I just ordered a bundle of Paves from Ribble...

Joachim
09-21-2015, 10:17 AM
...careful, these have non-removable valve cores which will make them less then ideal for rims over 25mm deep and more importantly, you will be unable to apply most sealants.

Vitt is releasing their new tubular design and are no longer listing Pave and a few other models on their website, so this might be the time to hoard your favorite Vitt tubular. I just ordered a bundle of Paves from Ribble...

While its not tubulars, Fizik changed their Aliante design completely so time to hoard those saddles too :)

AngryScientist
09-21-2015, 10:25 AM
180g can of cement - enough to glue three tires, or...

???

teleguy57
09-21-2015, 10:26 AM
cool.

Not bad, just that it doesn't have a removable core.

teleguy57
09-21-2015, 10:27 AM

Vitt is releasing their new tubular design and are no longer listing Pave and a few other models on their website, so this might be the time to hoard your favorite Vitt tubular. ...

WHAAAATTT??

Going to Ribbles web site right now with cc number in hand...

Edited: Just checked the Vittoria site and dang! I'm not seeing anything larger than 25mm, nor any green stripes! Let's hope this is a work in progress vs the final set of tires. When the rest of the world seems to be going bigger to not have a 27/28 seems really strange.

Joachim
09-21-2015, 10:47 AM
WHAAAATTT??

Going to Ribbles web site right now with cc number in hand...

Edited: Just checked the Vittoria site and dang! I'm not seeing anything larger than 25mm, nor any green stripes! Let's hope this is a work in progress vs the final set of tires. When the rest of the world seems to be going bigger to not have a 27/28 seems really strange.

They do....dig deeper.

Here you go: http://www.vittoria.com/tire/corsa/

Corsa Competition in 28mm. Dont need green stripe when you have graphene in the tires!

stackie
09-21-2015, 10:55 AM
Second the medical syringe recommendation. About 15 ml per tire rim combo in divided coats like Old Potato suggests. Since we are using medical equipment, I like to just put on a nitrile glove and use my finger to spread the glue. Much better than flux brushes in my experience.

Anarchist
09-21-2015, 10:57 AM

Yes. For my fun bikes, I use these.

For my go to work bike I use Continental Gatorskins in the 25.

When and if they ever wear out I will look for something in a 28, probably Schwalbe.

teleguy57
09-21-2015, 11:13 AM
They do....dig deeper.

Here you go: http://www.vittoria.com/tire/corsa/

Corsa Competition in 28mm. Dont need green stripe when you have graphene in the tires!

Whew, palpitations have slowed down. Thanks, Joachim -- saw that page but somehow my eye jumped to the bottom of the list and saw 25-28" and thought that was the largest. Kind of strange to order them 28, 23,25....

Graphene and green both start with G, but it's the historical aesthetic.... :)

saab2000
09-21-2015, 11:14 AM
cool.

No. Use a used tubular as a spare. They fold up far better. Junky tubulars are terrible, even as spares.

Find a tubular with a few hundred miles on it and use that as a spare. I've been doing that for decades with good results. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!

If you're going to go with tubulars, do it right and get good ones. Vittoria, Veloflex (my faves), Schwalbe, FMB, etc. are the ones to use IMHO. The top level Continentals are also OK but anything less than the Competition is not any good as far as I'm concerned and are very, very difficult to install in my experience.

Vittoria are the easiest to install in my experience and probably a good starter tire. But again, don't go cheap.

fogrider
09-21-2015, 11:21 AM
+1 on this! Avoid cheap tubulars!!! think about it, if you only carry one, you will need to trust your spare! I just don't understand why they even make those cheap tubulars! somehow they just attract flats and fall apart!

No. Use a used tubular as a spare. They fold up far better. Junky tubulars are terrible, even as spares.

Find a tubular with a few hundred miles on it and use that as a spare. I've been doing that for decades with good results. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!

If you're going to go with tubulars, do it right and get good ones. Vittoria, Veloflex (my faves), Schwalbe, FMB, etc. are the ones to use IMHO. The top level Continentals are also OK but anything less than the Competition is not any good as far as I'm concerned and are very, very difficult to install in my experience.

Vittoria are the easiest to install in my experience and probably a good starter tire. But again, don't go cheap.

ceolwulf
09-21-2015, 11:22 AM
I've heard of using 19mm tubs as spares for the space saving, anyone here do that?

fogrider
09-21-2015, 03:25 PM
I've heard of using 19mm tubs as spares for the space saving, anyone here do that?

yes, but it's more because I had a old 19 mm tubie sitting around. the really lightweight tubulars are from tufo:
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/tufo-elite-jet-tubular-tire

AngryScientist
11-16-2015, 07:15 AM
update:

i did wind up buying the corsa elites. two 25c tires and a 22c for a spare. glued them up to my nemesis rims and took them for a nice long ride yesterday. very nice ride on these tires, i'm a fan!

oldpotatoe
11-16-2015, 07:23 AM

Absolutely, more aero...:cool::eek::p:help:

Kidding.. I often use as a spare the next tire in rotation. Flat-spare on, get home, check glue, often don't even reglue. Using a cheapo/crappy/thin spare just means you gotta take it off when ya get home and swap.

weisan
11-16-2015, 07:27 AM
two 25c tires and a 22c for a spare.

http://pop.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/15/05/54ca6aa69113e_-_spare-tire-0312-mdn.jpg

redir
11-16-2015, 08:04 AM
^ LOL yea the old dougnut.

Those junker cheapo Yello Jersey tires are adequate for use as a spare. I always buy tires in three's since the rear needs to be replaced before the front anyway so tire rotation on a common spare is nit a bad idea.

rwsaunders
11-16-2015, 09:54 AM
update:

i did wind up buying the corsa elites. two 25c tires and a 22c for a spare. glued them up to my nemesis rims and took them for a nice long ride yesterday. very nice ride on these tires, i'm a fan!

+1...wear them out or get another set of wheels and try a Veloflex Arenberg or Roubaix. Clinchers will then soon become your fallback tires.

saab2000
11-16-2015, 10:09 AM
My spares are old tubulars that still have some life in them. They're pre-stretched and ride nicely. And because they're somewhat worn, they fold up very tightly, something most new ones don't do as well.