PDA

View Full Version : Tubular glue removal

Rover-Rich
05-15-2006, 04:27 PM
Quick question, what do you guys/gals use to remove old tubular cement on your rims? Or, alternatively, do you just add another layer to the existing glue when changing tires? TIA :banana:

Ozz
05-15-2006, 04:31 PM
can you mix & match cement or can you only use Continental glue on top of Continental glue? Or can you use 3M or Vittoria on tires, when you have a couple layers of Conti on the rim?

Thanks.

Fixed
05-15-2006, 04:32 PM
bro i never scape off i just put more glue on .

spiderman
05-15-2006, 05:25 PM
to clean up any spillage on the side walls/rims
and have never scraped before regluing...

stevep
05-15-2006, 06:03 PM
dont put too much on in the first place... then just put more over it...and for subsequent tires less is needed.
gotta keep the rim sides clean though...

finish line ecotech works ok as long as you dont let the stuff dry for 6 hours...in which you should use a razor blade.
ecotech also works great as ski wax remover for 1/10 the price of ski wax remover... and it sure smells like the same shiiite to me.

Bill Bove
05-15-2006, 06:15 PM
I once had a pair of wheels with so much old glue on them that they looked like a lunar landscape. I started scraping them with a butter knife, the only appropriate tool I had at the time. It didn't work very well, I thought for a while and came up with the easiest way to completely clean ALL old glue of the rims. I put the first wheel in the truing stand, lit an oxy/acetelene torch and put to the rim while spinning it. The glue cought on fire :crap: it looked like the shop was going to catch on fire :( it singed my moustache :eek: I nearly burned the flesh off the palm of my hand grabbing the wheel to throw it out the door before anybody came around to see what the smell was.

My sex life has suffered.

Butter knives work well for scraping old tubular glue from rims.

stevep
05-15-2006, 06:18 PM
bill,
how about sitting it in the middle of the shop and just burning the building down?
oh, sorry, you tried that.

Bill Bove
05-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Hey, I thought the heat would soften the glue! Good thing they didn't fit in the microwave.

stevep
05-15-2006, 06:27 PM
was that you warming up the sticks of dynamite because they were too cold to hold?

"just a little warmer... no harm in that..."

Bill Bove
05-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Then there was the time I used the pepper spray on my hamburgers.

McDonalds was selling their bland little burgers for 29 cents apiece. Great deal, but they were, well tasteless. Nothing a little Tabasco sauce wouldn't fix though. We ran out of Tabasco so I thought, what the hell, a pepper is a pepper is a pepper, right? So i put four of those tasteless slabs of dead cows in a large paper bag, grab a hold of the boss'es wife's self defense pepper spray and put my hand in the bag and sprayed the burgers while I held the bag tightly closed with my other hand. The burgers were O.K., I still preffered Tabasco. A couple of minutes later a customer starts to cough, then another's eyes start to water. We had to open the front and back doors to get a draft going through the shop to clear the air. What a bunch of wussies, it didn't bother me at all.

05-15-2006, 07:40 PM
Don't knock poor ole Bill. Burning off the adhesive is how you used to remove shellac when it was used on track wheels for the same purpose. Of course, you didn't sit in the infield and light one up. Trust this forum, and Bill in particular, to advance the art of self-destruction in such subtle and elegant ways.

Too Tall
05-15-2006, 08:27 PM
Bove, I am warned...never drink and hang around you too long it could get ugly. Pretty funny. Bet you'd love my homemade black powder cannon too :cool: And you'd be the first at bat to volunteer for ramming the triple fine and newspaper..hammer and wood dowel...WHACK WHACK WHACK...hmmmm just a little tighter...WHACK :)

Sooo, back on topic! If you have an old crapped out chisel than grind it into a smile and have at it. Grind the edge quite dull. Really what you want to do is knock off the high glue spots. An old bed of still pliable glue is a good thing so leave it....just nix the flakey bits or chunky spots.

PS - NEVER EVER use solvent to clean up the rim AFTER the tyre is mounted...the fumes canl compromise your basetape. Just wait for the glue to dry and pick / rub it off.

catulle
05-15-2006, 08:38 PM
Er, this is the way I remove the glue from my rims, atmo. You might find it rather agreeable if you try it, iirc.

Bill Bove
05-15-2006, 08:49 PM
Nice..........hmmmm................OSHA steel toe flip flops :banana:

Rover-Rich
05-16-2006, 10:24 AM
Hey guys, thanks for all the suggestion. Bill, can I borrow that torch? :)

Kevan
05-16-2006, 10:37 AM
Can't wait to get home and remove my old ****chers using my torch. I do my best work in the kitchen.