PDA

View Full Version : Holy &%$§§&/

jeffg
05-15-2006, 02:58 PM
The Giro has gone mental!

http://www.ustariaposta.it/igor/PlandeCoronesGirodItalia/target13.html

Bud
05-15-2006, 03:04 PM
And I thought the climb I did the other day was tough. That is definitely whack!

It might be kind of fun to watch that section (in a sick way).

Kevan
05-15-2006, 03:13 PM
you haven't yet taken Ken Robb's famous bicycle route to San Diego's best fish tacos. (http://www.savedigbyneck.org/clothesline.jpg) Honestly, I was just waiting to be garroted by a clothesline, all the back alleyways and sidewalks we took getting there. ;)

Your point isn't lost to me.

coylifut
05-15-2006, 03:24 PM
I'm not convinced my Audi Quatro would make it up that last pitch

Fixed
05-15-2006, 03:27 PM
bro at least they have geared bikes

72gmc
05-15-2006, 03:42 PM
Have you seen the standard Giro podium girl? There is a just reward, even for this...

dauwhe
05-15-2006, 03:42 PM
They're some of the strongest riders in the world, with support that is unimaginable to us. If they make reasonable gearing choices, it shouldn't be a problem. And they get to stop at the top!

I will hope for good weather for them...

Dave

Erik.Lazdins
05-15-2006, 03:45 PM
I loved the Finestre climb last year which was 9% on dirt. This is a ski slope which, in my opinion, brings more viewers to the Giro, more publicity, more fans, more hoopla which I think is good.
Look at the Angliru in the Vuelta where cars were stalling since they could not get traction - this is in the same spirit.

I'm most curious to see what the equipment will be here.

24% is viscious on smooth pavement
What about 24% on dirt/mud with fans and the cool-looking Giro trophy in the balance, it looks fantastic.

It should be covered live by ABC, CBS, NBC and all other networks in HD. That might get some people to pull their bikes out of their garages.

William
05-15-2006, 03:48 PM
The Widowmaker...pedal style! :banana:

William

dbrk
05-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Think Ramble. Think Finger Lakes. Those Giro boys will be wishin' they had 650Bs! But if you think this road is on your template with skinny tires and you are prepared to descend on it (at YOUR OWN RISK), then I say to heck with Italy, the riding is better here. Not the food, not always the scenery but the riding in the Finger Lakes is often just as good as the great Italian rides. Been there. "Tis true. Come on and ramble...'cause we are most definitely not racing. (Racing is cool, but it's different than rambling...)

dbrk

Moosedryvr
05-15-2006, 04:06 PM
[QUOTE=Erik.Lazdins]
I'm most curious to see what the equipment will be here. [QUOTE]

I read somewhere that there was some talk among riders/teams (Simoni/Saunier Duval, I think) of planning a bike switch prior to the summit from road bikes to mountain bike frames with bars/wheels that would be UCI compliant. Is this even a possiblity or would UCI rules prohibit using a MTB type frame in a Pro Tour race? It's hard to believe but if guys are walking up the hills in the Tour of Flanders, I can't believe they'll be too many riding up this one.

Hoping I'm not talking out my *** here.

SPG

dauwhe
05-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Heck, I have road bikes which would work great on this. Triple crank, MTB cassette, and clearance for reasonable tires. My Saluki would be nice; if it was dry I'd probably leave the 32mm tires on!

Pros could dig up their cross bikes, and throw on a compact crank and a mountain bike cassette. Big knobby tires and 34 x 34; I don't think any of those guys would have trouble with that equipment!

Dave

Headwinds
05-15-2006, 04:34 PM
Think Ramble. Think Finger Lakes. Those Giro boys will be wishin' they had 650Bs!

Say Dr. D,

Are you saying that I MUST bring different tires than my 700x23? Man, maybe I will be the sag wagon driver that day, yeh?

R.

Ken Robb
05-15-2006, 04:35 PM
you haven't yet taken Ken Robb's famous bicycle route to San Diego's best fish tacos. Honestly, I was just waiting to be garroted by a clothesline, all the back alleyways and sidewalks we took getting there.

well you did fine while I was looking out for you. It was tha guy you work with who caused your crash! And te tacos were good weren't they? You shoulda had an ale to go with them.

Kevan
05-15-2006, 04:45 PM
You shoulda had an ale to go with them.

the ailing for later.

Ken Robb
05-15-2006, 07:16 PM
groan :crap:

TorelliTom
05-16-2006, 08:25 AM
Discovery is planning on using 34x29 gearing.