PDA

View Full Version : Richmond folks -- best viewing spot for road race?

djdj
09-20-2015, 11:35 AM
I'm planning to drive the family to Richmond for next Sunday's road race and take the shuttle from city stadium to the race. It appears that the best viewing may be on Libby Hill, which seems to be about a 2 mile walk from the shuttle drop off at 2d and Canal?

Is that correct? Is there a convenient way to get around the course via city bus?

Unfortunately, the UCI site and the Richmond bus site offer little help. Any local insight would be appreciated. TIA.

harlond
09-20-2015, 12:36 PM
If you search the Apple App Store for Richmond World Championships, you can find the Richmond organizers' app, which has maps and other good information, including where the jumbotrons are. Bonus, the app has live streaming, which is pretty great. Hope it works when there's thousands of us trying to use it.

Libby Hill will be a great place to watch. However, the road through the park is in a sort of bowl, with hills rising from both sides of the road. I'm not sure how many people you can fit in there who will have a view, but it is pretty sure to be really crowded. I think there is going to be a jumbotron there.

Governor Street is very near the finish line and will be critical (it was decisive in the women's TTT today). 23rd Street is another sharp short hill that comes after Libby Hill, that could be critical.

I'm thinking about Monument Avenue and Main Street. Maybe not race-deciding sectors, but should be relaxed with close-up views. A friend at work lives on Monument, maybe I can get him to put his biggest TV outside.;)

ultraman6970
09-21-2015, 08:41 PM
Im not familiar with richmond at all, anybody has a good map of the road race???

I know there's some uphills and cobblestones, anybody knows the streets of those areas???

Thanks.

kramnnim
09-21-2015, 09:05 PM
There's a Richmond 2015 app that is supposedly very helpful. (I haven't installed it yet)

Steve530
09-21-2015, 09:06 PM
Im not familiar with richmond at all, anybody has a good map of the road race???

I know there's some uphills and cobblestones, anybody knows the streets of those areas???

Thanks.

http://richmond2015.wpengine.com/about/courses/road-circuit/

cmbicycles
09-21-2015, 09:14 PM

Thanks.
Monument Ave is the cobbles section. I think you can ride the course on that section Friday night.

ultraman6970
09-21-2015, 09:43 PM
Hmm... would be the bomb to ride that friday night but that means that I have to sleep in the car hehehehe...

Technical question, from the maps obviously there's a lot of parking around the circuit, but obviously some places will have its parking spaces closed, anybody knows how many streets around the circuit is going to be closed or at what time they close those areas? just to know if i have to get there around 3am or i can get later... looks like the park area is neat... there's a jumbotron in there too apparently too.

cmbicycles
09-23-2015, 10:35 AM
Hmm... would be the bomb to ride that friday night but that means that I have to sleep in the car hehehehe...

Technical question, from the maps obviously there's a lot of parking around the circuit, but obviously some places will have its parking spaces closed, anybody knows how many streets around the circuit is going to be closed or at what time they close those areas? just to know if i have to get there around 3am or i can get later... looks like the park area is neat... there's a jumbotron in there too apparently too.

Just pack a tent, you can camp out in the park and then not have to worry about sleeping in the car ;)

cmbicycles
09-25-2015, 07:53 AM
Hmmm, just checked the info on the Friday night ride. Supposedly 2100 riders, all on a 10 mile loop for 2 hours, cost is $135. It would be fun to ride the closed course but not with that many people, plus I can think of better ways to spend $135.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

kramnnim
09-25-2015, 09:12 AM
I wonder what would happen if you hopped onto the course without paying...

rnhood
09-25-2015, 09:22 AM
Don't forget your umbrella.

cmbicycles
09-25-2015, 09:50 AM
Don't forget your umbrella.
Yeah there's the weather in the equation as well. It would certainly cut down the number of people on course... and you could enjoy riding wet cobblestone so it'll feel like Paris-Roubaix. Knowing Richmond it's probably cancelled for rain

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk