PDA

View Full Version : Folks who use the classic Flite: tilt angle?

Climb01742
09-20-2015, 10:58 AM
I'd like to try a classic Flite saddle I picked up awhile ago. For folks who ride them, what sort of tilt angle do you run? TIA!

dlui
09-20-2015, 11:24 AM
Mine is set level, about 2 inch drop to bars.

Climb01742
09-20-2015, 12:29 PM
Mine is set level, about 2 inch drop to bars.

Do you mean that the tail and nose are at the same level, with the dip of the saddle in between? It's sort of the same challenge as with an Aliante. What part of the saddle is 'level'?

hokoman
09-20-2015, 12:53 PM
I can tell you that half a turn of the adjustment screw can make a huge difference in feel... I once swapped saddles and went back to the flite and had the nose up a little too much... Instant numbing. Half turn on the back of the Thomson to loosen and half turn in the front to angle it down slightly and it was perfect again... You just need to try it. Mine looks like the nose is tilted up, but it is level (back and front of the nose)...

fishwhisperer
09-20-2015, 01:26 PM
+1 on the nose pointing upwards slightly. not as "alert" as I run my brooks, but definitely with an upward tilt to the nose

8aaron8
09-20-2015, 01:59 PM
Another for the nose slightly tilted up.

warren128
09-20-2015, 02:46 PM
Do you mean that the tail and nose are at the same level, with the dip of the saddle in between? It's sort of the same challenge as with an Aliante. What part of the saddle is 'level'?

yes, that's how mine is, see pic:

http://www.fototime.com/733C24D28BF3DFE/large.jpg

mhespenheide
09-20-2015, 02:48 PM
Another here. If you lay a book on top of the saddle, I like about 1-2 degrees tilt upwards (with the nose a touch higher than the rear).

dlui
09-20-2015, 03:16 PM
Mine is level with the "book on top" guage

YMMV

R3awak3n
09-20-2015, 03:18 PM
level for me. I used to like it but now for some reason it does not agree with me

Satellite
09-20-2015, 03:51 PM
level for me. I used to like it but now for some reason it does not agree with me

+1, I rode with Classic Flite (level for me too) for years it was my go to saddle and I have few of them NOS in boxes, one day it was like a hatchet in the @ss. I had to switch over to Alainte (slightly nose up). I have no idea what happened, to the Flite it was still on the bike with no changes.

R3awak3n
09-20-2015, 04:47 PM
+1, I rode with Classic Flite (level for me too) for years it was my go to saddle and I have few of them NOS in boxes, one day it was like a hatchet in the @ss. I had to switch over to Alainte (slightly nose up). I have no idea what happened, to the Flite it was still on the bike with no changes.

funny, I switched to the Aliante as well on the bike I had the flight on also with slightly nose up and really like that setup.

Its funny I have a different saddle in every bike and as of right now they are all pretty confortable

Climb01742
09-20-2015, 05:00 PM
And round the wheel turns...I've used SLRs forever but now they've gotten unpleasant, shall we say. I have the Flite so it's a no-cost experiment, because it feels like something just a bit wider might help. Funny how stalwart saddles suddenly stop working.

hoonjr
09-20-2015, 08:13 PM
Nose up slightly. If it was good enough for Indurain it's good enough for me. I also fathered 2 sons with this position. YMMV

cinema
09-20-2015, 08:40 PM
nose up slightly. If it was good enough for indurain it's good enough for me. I also fathered 2 sons with this position. Ymmv

:p

I use one level from front to back, a little narrow/curvy for me but comfy for sub 50 mile fast rides.

cmbicycles
09-20-2015, 08:54 PM
And round the wheel turns...I've used SLRs forever but now they've gotten unpleasant, shall we say. I have the Flite so it's a no-cost experiment, because it feels like something just a bit wider might help. Funny how stalwart saddles suddenly stop working.
Weird, I've done the same recently switching from an slr to a flite, albeit in the older gel flow versions of both. Slr worked for 10+ years, then all of a sudden it didn't. My flite is level tip to tail.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

CampyorBust
09-21-2015, 09:40 AM
Yeah pretty much feel the same way about the Flite and SLR. Though I still ride the SLR XC Gel Flow with a cut out and like it just fine. On the Flite I too tilt the nose up just a hair. I wonder how many of us started out riding on a SLR only to have our sit bones morph overtime to find the Flite comfy. Do sit bones morph overtime?

RonW87
09-21-2015, 09:59 AM
I have found that the saddle height (as opposed to angle) also makes a difference in comfort. Lower (talking mm's here) means sitting further back on the saddle, at the wider part, while higher has the effect of moving you forward.

jmoore
09-21-2015, 10:29 AM
Another here. If you lay a book on top of the saddle, I like about 1-2 degrees tilt upwards (with the nose a touch higher than the rear).

same here

drewellison
09-21-2015, 11:15 AM
I've got classic flites on all my rides. I used to have the tip a little higher than the tail, but then recently in working on the fit of one of my bikes, I used a level to put the tip and tail level. It made a big difference for me, so that's how I roll now. Also, I have my saddle quite a bit rearward and maybe a little lower than many folks.

Over the years, I've slowly moved my saddle back, dropped it a little, and dropped the stem too. Getting low and long. What's helped is lots of stretching and yoga and that kind of stuff.

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-21-2015, 11:19 AM
Flite or SLR, level, tip to tail. Always