PDA

View Full Version : Brake pads Kool Stop vs Ultegra, your opinion

Not the Slowest
09-19-2015, 09:58 PM
Time to replace my pads on my road bike.
I had thought to use the Kool Stop dual compound vs the Ultegra pads.
Mostly standard road riding, can't say tons of wet roads, but like all ya never know when you leave the house.

Any one have experience with one vs the other?

Thanks Robert

Llewellyn
09-19-2015, 10:24 PM
I use Kool Stop salmon pads on all my bikes - great pads in all weather conditions in my experience. Better than Shimano ones IMO, but I'm sure there will be people who disagree.

dave thompson
09-19-2015, 10:55 PM
I certainly don't, KoolStop salmon pads on all our bikes (4 road, 2 MTB, 1 tourer) plus I recommend those pads to anyone who asks my opinion.

djg21
09-19-2015, 11:04 PM
Salmon koolstop without question. They are the easiest fix for most braking issues and the slightly softer compound is superior in wet weather. I'm assuming your wheels have aluminum braking surfaces.

Not the Slowest
09-19-2015, 11:44 PM
Kool Stop says that the Salmons are for best for WET conditions, am I confused?
So if I'm using them for mostly dry conditions am I hurting the lifespan of the rim?

Thanks

nrs5000
09-19-2015, 11:55 PM
The salmon pads are pretty soft. Hard to imagine rim damage. In keeping with their softness the pads wear faster than more standard pads.

dave thompson
09-20-2015, 12:25 AM
So if I'm using them for mostly dry conditions am I hurting the lifespan of the rim?

Thanks

The salmon pads are pretty kind to rims. The pads are softer than the black pads and, IMO feel better and give better modulation.

dgauthier
09-20-2015, 03:43 AM
Years ago I melted some Ultegra pads descending a one mile 10% grade that included several 4 way stop signs. Black goo all over the rims, stringy shapes coming from the pads, the whole bit. I weighed about 195 at the time. Immediately changed to Koolstop salmon pads. Problem solved. I have never had one moment of concern over my brakes since.

I'm talking about the Koolstop Salmon Dura-Type pads. I don't know anything about the dual compound pads.

I wondered about the "wet conditions" thing too. Just use the salmon. There is no downside. Braking is worlds better. Rims stay cleaner looking. Most of my riding is in dry conditions, and the Koolstop Salmons are way better in both the dry and the wet.

One note: The "Plow tip" feels a bit weird at first, but it wears down fast, and then all is well.

simonov
09-20-2015, 04:43 AM
Another vote for the Salmon Kool-Stops. Awesome in all weather. I've noticed the softer compound will pick up a little bit of grit on really long, wet, dirty rides. It can easily be cleaned up with a little sandpaper. But I've been using them on my aluminum rimmed bikes for years with no problems.

djg21
09-20-2015, 05:01 AM

Thanks

Use them for everything. As Dave said, better modulation, i.e., better feel, even in dry weather, and the soft compound is not abrasive and easy on the rims. If anything, the pads don't last as long because of the softer compound. They still last a very long time, and they're inexpensive and easy to replace. They make a very cost-effective brake upgrade.

smontanaro
09-20-2015, 05:22 AM
I prefer Kool Stop salmons as well. I have an extra reason for supporting the company. All my bikes are vintage, and KS has been great about producing repop pads for this community. I know they make Campy, Weinmann and MAFAC pads. I needed some SunTour Superbe pads several months ago. I sent them some of mine, and another guy on bikeforums took measurements of a set he had. They reproduced them and sent me a handful for helping.

So, yeah, Kool Stop all the way, baby...

R3awak3n
09-20-2015, 07:09 AM
I have salmons, I have the kool stops with 3 colors which are pretty great as well and also have some swiss stops that break great aswell so dont count then out.

I do usually get kool stop salmon though.

OtayBW
09-20-2015, 10:15 AM
Salmon! :banana:

berserk87
09-20-2015, 12:05 PM
I have used both Kool Stop salmon and dual compound pads. I am using dual compound pads at present. I can't tell much difference between the two. Both work fine for me.

I haven't used the newer Shimano pads, so I can't compare. They are superior to the older Shimano pads (i.e. 7700 era - 9 speed). Obviously I have used Kool Stop for a number of years.

Bob Ross
09-20-2015, 12:28 PM
Any one have experience with one vs the other?

I have plenty of experience -- I tend to switch back and forth between those two pads pretty regularly (mostly due to availability rather than a conscious choice) -- but to be honest, I'm not sure if I have a preference. They definitely feel different, and I can definitely tell the difference...I just am not sure if I actually prefer one to the other. I guess conceptually I prefer the Kool Stop salmon pads, but at this point I'm not even sure if that's based on anything empirical. Or rational.

likebikes
09-20-2015, 12:35 PM
The newer ultegra and dura-ace brake pad compounds are great. Run what you got or what's easy to get. You'll be fine.

fishwhisperer
09-20-2015, 01:30 PM
Salmon! :banana:

yup! I'm a kool stop loyalist

54ny77
09-20-2015, 02:31 PM
100% agree with this.

Years ago I melted some Ultegra pads descending a one mile 10% grade that included several 4 way stop signs. Black goo all over the rims, stringy shapes coming from the pads, the whole bit. I weighed about 195 at the time. Immediately changed to Koolstop salmon pads. Problem solved. I have never had one moment of concern over my brakes since.

I'm talking about the Koolstop Salmon Dura-Type pads. I don't know anything about the dual compound pads.

I wondered about the "wet conditions" thing too. Just use the salmon. There is no downside. Braking is worlds better. Rims stay cleaner looking. Most of my riding is in dry conditions, and the Koolstop Salmons are way better in both the dry and the wet.

One note: The "Plow tip" feels a bit weird at first, but it wears down fast, and then all is well.

bikerboy337
09-20-2015, 02:44 PM
I go kool stop salmon all the way.. best braking around and soft on the rims... have a set of annodized a+sons and after a year of use, little to no wear on the annodization...

I swap mine about 1x per year... can get a set for like $14 shipped on ebay...

dk2ck
09-20-2015, 06:05 PM
Sorry for hi-jacking this thread but I felt making a new one was overkill. Does anyone know which type of Kool Stop salmons I need to get for my Avid Shorty Ultimate brakes? The Dura type I got has too much brake pad material to let the pin slip in to secure it. I was considering sanding them down but I need to buy a new set of pads for my commuter bike anyways so I figured I might as well buy the proper ones for the ultimates. You can kind of see the issue here...

http://oi60.tinypic.com/19qt8n.jpg

Not the Slowest
09-21-2015, 07:37 AM
It's Salmon for me then plus every one knows the added health benefits of salmon.

Tony T
09-21-2015, 07:39 AM
Great on the grill with some maple syrup:
http://dizzypigbbq.com/portfolio/raging-river-maplebutter-crusted-salmon/

…oh, and Kool Stop salmon for the bike :)

Lewis Moon
09-21-2015, 07:55 AM
Sorry for hi-jacking this thread but I felt making a new one was overkill. Does anyone know which type of Kool Stop salmons I need to get for my Avid Shorty Ultimate brakes? The Dura type I got has too much brake pad material to let the pin slip in to secure it. I was considering sanding them down but I need to buy a new set of pads for my commuter bike anyways so I figured I might as well buy the proper ones for the ultimates. You can kind of see the issue here...

http://oi60.tinypic.com/19qt8n.jpg

Small round file? I think I actually just forced it.