PDA

View Full Version : Interbike updates

Tickdoc
09-19-2015, 04:27 PM
I don't have any, I just want some.

Where do You go for some good pic laden posts?

Bruce K
09-19-2015, 04:31 PM
Bikerumor? Velonews?

Skyrider was there but photos were few and far between as he was a VERY busy guy talking with vendors (both current and potential).

BK

JAGI410
09-19-2015, 06:25 PM
Bikerumor and such take better pics than I do, so I didn't really take many worth sharing. There were so many damn e-bikes!!!

Tickdoc
09-19-2015, 07:12 PM
Bikerumor? Velonews?

Skyrider was there but photos were few and far between as he was a VERY busy guy talking with vendors (both current and potential).

BK

Veloce was was good. Loved the new old school colnagos.

I like it when a solo guy goes and takes pics of all the little stuff that gets glossed over .

I'm tired of seeing the next disc braked wonder. Enough already.

Repack Rider
09-20-2015, 01:03 AM
I went on behalf of the Marin Museum of Bicycling. They needed someone to drive the exhibit to Vegas and set it up, and I traded that effort for the hotel room. Plus I worked the booth like someone who might have done it a few dozen times.

Bingo, travel and lodging covered, a base of operations. I've been going to the show since 1981. I could give a crap about what people are selling, I'm not there to buy anything. I'm selling my own stuff and I'm talking bikes. I walked the floor briefly, just to see a few of my friends who had to stay in their own booths, but the real fun was hanging out with the penny-farthing and the 1941 Schwinn Repack winner and seeing who came to me.

We have a great location, just inside a main entry door, so traffic is plentiful. Most of the display is from the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame, and the bikes we have for display are interesting, so for nine hours a day I get to talk bikes with anyone who will listen. In a building with a few thousand bicycles it's very easy to find someone who wants to talk bikes. If I can engage someone for more than a couple of minutes, 80% of the time I can sell a copy of my book.

Ka-ching.

Since Joe Breeze is part of the Museum, he hangs around the booth a lot, where he get a lot of attention, more targets for my pitch since his name is also on the cover of the book. Instead of wearing out my feet trudging mile after carpeted concrete aisle, I hang around and let the bike world come to me. I can even sit down if I want, which beats trudging for nine hours a day.

Mountain Bike Hall of Fame inductions ceremony is followed by a big dinner with someone else picking up the tab and a table full of lifelong mountain bike people. Bummer.

Next night there is an invite only open bar reception where Everybody is Somebody. It is followed by a fabulous dinner and a forgettable awards ceremony ("Most Customer Value for a Local Bike Store, and the nominees are..."). Dennis Christopher and Dennis Quaid of "Breaking Away" make an appearance and I say howdy to Dennis who I had dinner with a few years ago at a similar awards dinner.

I don't drink, I don't gamble. My livelihood does not depend on my performance here so there is no pressure. Everyone else is on an expense account so you never see the dinner tab. For three days I talk bikes and hang with the gliterati of the US and world bicycle community.

Day three, a worn out sales rep says, am I tired yet, I tell him I could do this for another week.

AJosiahK
09-20-2015, 09:42 AM
My brother is out there representing his new shop out of Chicago. He's too busy having a ball to update me regularly so I'll just stick to velonews.

Anyone know much about the inner tube importing buiz?