PDA

View Full Version : New human-powered speed-bike record..85.71mph!

malbecman
09-18-2015, 05:07 PM
So you think you can ride fast???

http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/18/aerovelo-fastest-human-powered-vehicle/

Not quite a bike in the traditional sense but still.....I've never even gone this fast downhill!! :eek::D

Louis
09-18-2015, 05:18 PM
Re - the video - If you're going to run off the road at super-high speed, that's the type of "bicycle" on which you'd want to do it.

dustyrider
09-18-2015, 07:53 PM
The act in of itself is quite amazing. Moving at that speed under your own power must be exhilarating! Except the video makes me feel blah. The rider is cocooned in what equates to a virtual reality bubble, and the viewer has no sense of the effort, or lack there of?, the rider is under going. Still very "cool"!

Personally I'd love for these clever folks to come up with a way to power my home's a/c unit while riding a stationary bicycle. Now that's thinking of what can be possible!

Louis
09-18-2015, 08:18 PM
Personally I'd love for these clever folks to come up with a way to power my home's a/c unit while riding a stationary bicycle. Now that's thinking of what can be possible!

I'm guessing that you'd put out so much waste heat from your body for the small amount useful work you can do powering the compressor that for the time you did last it would be a wash between the heating and the cooling.

(Unless you did it while riding outside, in which case you yourself would overheat in very short order...)