PDA

View Full Version : OT - Why do people cross their legs?

keno
05-15-2006, 09:36 AM
Reading the "proper" STA thread and the reference to sitting in cars brought to mind a question that occurs to me occasionally. What is it that prompts some people to cross their legs, perhaps prefering one manner, while sitting and others not to cross them at all? My assumption is that subtle or not so subtle pressures (discomfort) in limbs, joints and internal organs are relieved by leg crossing. (Psychologists speak to this subject insofar as body language may express a state of mind, but, beyond that, my guess is that much more is involved.)

keno

CNY rider
05-15-2006, 10:07 AM
short skirts

Kevan
05-15-2006, 10:26 AM
there's loads of info on the subject, included is this about avoiding fainting. (http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/health/1645261/detail.html)

I think I do it to reduce load baring on the hip and to improve circulation, sort of like proping one's legs up on an ottoman.

flydhest
05-15-2006, 10:50 AM
sort of like proping one's legs up on an ottoman.

You really shouldn't do this. When I was in Istanbul, I tried it and a couple of the guys got really pissed off. I even cleaned my shoes most of the times.

Bill Bove
05-15-2006, 12:42 PM
You really shouldn't do this. When I was in Istanbul, I tried it and a couple of the guys got really pissed off. I even cleaned my shoes most of the times.
Good one :banana:
I don't have the flexibility to cross my legs past the ankles.

Too Tall
05-15-2006, 12:55 PM
Haile selassie of you Flyman. So you infact left a mark?

KenO - Makes it easier to maintain a sitting position. Don't suggest it, ADA will prosecute IF you had a leg to stand on (hmm somewhere there was a joke in there somewhere...sigh).

nicrump
05-15-2006, 02:17 PM
What is it that prompts some people to cross their legs

to get to the other side

flydhest
05-16-2006, 07:01 AM
Authorial intent cannot be inferred, because structuralism is dead, dammit, dead!