PDA

View Full Version : Another argument of compact vs. traditional frame designs...

Rich_W
03-26-2004, 03:17 PM
Take a look at Trent's decending position. Looks as if the additional clearance gives him the opportunity to tuck under the saddle more effectively.

thoughts?

http://www.velonews.com/images/dom/5744.7144.f.jpg

jerk
03-27-2004, 07:00 PM
wow, that's dumb.

jerk

gt6267a
03-27-2004, 07:03 PM
dude. whatever advantage that guy thinks he is getting, i seriously question whether it's worth it. that looks extremely dangerous.

-k

Climb01742
03-27-2004, 08:01 PM
jerk, 3 words? 3 measly words? that's gotta be your shortest opinion ever. not sure what to think.

Kevin
03-27-2004, 08:44 PM
The potential for pain is staggering.

Kevin

Andreu
03-28-2004, 06:24 AM
NO :no: I've never seen Merckyx, Hinault or the man himself Armstrong doing this so if it ain't good for them then I ain't going to do it.
A

Rich_W
03-28-2004, 07:07 AM
wow, that's dumb.

jerk

I think I've now had enough of this forum. You really have a knack for flaming Serotta's Customers away from their own forum.

I guess if someone doesn't have the racing experience you have, they are dumb, stupid, and they have no idea how to ride a bike... right?

I'm out of here.

Kevin
03-28-2004, 07:46 AM
Rich W,

I don't believe that the Jerk was calling you dumb. I believe that the Jerk was referring to the dangerous position being taken by the rider in the picture you posted as being dumb.

Kevin

Roy E. Munson
03-28-2004, 07:50 AM
Try that on a "french fit" bike, or one with the bars 8 inches higher than the saddle!!

And Andreu, you list Merckx, Hinault and the man himself Armstrong in your post. Armstrong is a boy when you compare him to Merckx - must have been a typo.

Russ
03-28-2004, 07:50 AM
I guess if someone doesn't have the racing experience you have, they are dumb, stupid, and they have no idea how to ride a bike... right? I'm out of here.

Hey Rich,

Don't get offended man! After all that was the jerk speaking.... I would rather see Andreu's post to see the point the jerk is making rather than his own.

Calm down my man.... We like your posts and pics, so don't go away.

Russ
03-28-2004, 07:54 AM
And Andreu, you list Merckx, Hinault and the man himself Armstrong in your post. Armstrong is a boy when you compare him to Merckx - must have been a typo.

Roy,

I don't think Andreu is comparing Armstrong to anyone, he is just telling us that he and others do not do this sort of thing.

Roy E. Munson
03-28-2004, 08:04 AM
Calling someone "the man" seems to me to insinuate that they are the best. But not a big deal. Without some debate, this forum is as boring as watching paint dry. Someone (the jerk) sparks a little debate, someone gets offended so they take their ball and go home. It's an internet forum - it's all part of the game.

jpw
03-28-2004, 09:14 AM
Hair trigger indignation! Gosh.

The order of the day appears to be to express outrage at being offended by something...BEFORE it's said. It must be something to do with the time of the year...winter 'no cycling fever' taking a grip. Rich W (?) seems to have it real bad.

I'm sure he will return.

Back to the photo. Seems a lot dangerous. Teams and sponsors will do anything to get media mention these days.

I remember Abdujap. descending on Le Tour with his shoulders touching the tops, his arms hooked under, his elbows pointing forwards and his hands reaching around the back of this neck. All this at 60mph plus. Probably a standard position in the pro riders manual. Also saw a euro pro riding in the horizontal position with his abdomen on the saddle and feet way out back 'for greater aerodynamic efficiency'. He was just larking about on a slow stage. Great bike handling skills though. Not recommended.

The riding position in the photo is setting a very bad example. UCI should ban it if possible. Too many kids will try to copy it no doubt.

jerk
03-28-2004, 10:21 AM
rich-
the jerk wasn't calling you or anyone else here dumb.....i don't think there's a dummy among us here on this forum. we can all operate up to date machinery and like bicycles....the jerk would say we're the smart ones....the jerk was calling trent's position dumb....not dangerous...but dumb in and of itself....it's obvious he's show boating for the camera....that position is no faster than anyother descending position and slower than alot of them....plus it looks really uncomfortable.....it is probably dangerous too.....the jerk just quipped some off hand remark. you asked what we thought...the jerk told you he thinks it's dumb...i wouldn't put words in anyone's mouth but the jerk reckons most people here think it's dumb.

sorry if i offended,
jerk

bags27
03-28-2004, 10:55 AM
Well, now at least we know why Armstrong calls sloppers "girls bikes." Looks like Trent may be heading for an unscheduled sex change operation.

Andreu
03-28-2004, 01:53 PM
I included Armstrong to contemporise (I think I may have just made up a word; but I want to say "make up to date"...) the list. I agree he is a bairn compared with the other two (but still pretty good nonetheless).
And anyway the position just looks dangerous and is not cool.
A :beer: