PDA

View Full Version : Mike Garcia

redir
09-17-2015, 01:57 PM
Anyone know what ever happened to him? For those who don't know he was a guy around turn of the century that was building some pretty decent wheels for very good prices out of Florida IIRC.

Anyway I nailed a pothole last night on our local race ride real hard. Slow leak flat took a few minutes to go down and then I saw that I had damaged the rear rim. It's one of those Niobium 30's that Mike built for me about 2005.

Anyway I'm totally bummed. Back in the day I only used these for racing and just recently decided to start riding them again and they really are nice wheels and super light weight.

If anyone knows where I can score a replacement rim or if perhaps Mike still sells stock or someone took over his business etc.. I'd appreciate it.

soulspinner
09-17-2015, 02:18 PM
I had a pair built by him....he went out of business years ago.. still have the wheels. Replaced a few spokes but they are still rollin great.

jmoore
09-17-2015, 02:51 PM
I have a set of his wheels as well. I had so many spokes break in the first year that I had the get the entire read wheel relaced by my LBS. They were fine after that.

ikecycke
09-17-2015, 02:52 PM
I'm pretty sure those rims are just the Kinlin XR-300. You should be able to track one down pretty easily for under $50

Mark McM
09-17-2015, 02:56 PM
All the Niobium rims were/are made by Kinlin, and sold under different brand names. Kinlin rims are available from a variety of sources including, Bike Hub Store, Fairwheel Bikes, Wheelbuilder.com ProWheelBuilder.com, and many others. It sounds like your rim is probably a Kinlin XR300 (30mm deep, 19mm wide), which can be had in a variety of different drillings (and a few different colors) for around $50.

mgm777
09-17-2015, 02:56 PM
Yes. His business was Odds & Endos, I believe. I too have a wheelset built by him. Solidly built, but like others have experienced, I too have had some spokes break. I think he may have built them with overly high spoke tension.

eddief
09-17-2015, 03:05 PM
Ultegra, Open Pro 9 speed, 28 spokes, going fine still.

TimD
09-17-2015, 03:28 PM
I had a set which started out with him, not built for me specifically. AmClassic hubs, DT Swiss RR rims, nicely built but ultimately a little too lightweight for my 185 lbs.

redir
09-17-2015, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the tip on the Kinlin XR-300. Are those Niobium? It doesn't specifically say. I have no idea what niobium is but those AL clinchers were the lightest I've ever seen at 1425g IIRC.

I'm really surprised to hear that folks had spokes break. I am the KING of breaking spokes and have broken spokes literally on every wheelset I've had to date including trusty 32 hole Open Pro's as well as a variety of Campy wheels and even Nemisis. But I've never broken one on my Garsia's and they are even low spoke count.

malcolm
09-17-2015, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the tip on the Kinlin XR-300. Are those Niobium? It doesn't specifically say. I have no idea what niobium is but those AL clinchers were the lightest I've ever seen at 1425g IIRC.

I'm really surprised to hear that folks had spokes break. I am the KING of breaking spokes and have broken spokes literally on every wheelset I've had to date including trusty 32 hole Open Pro's as well as a variety of Campy wheels and even Nemisis. But I've never broken one on my Garsia's and they are even low spoke count.

Breaking spokes is usually a built issue. I had a set of wheels from mike that are on there 3rd or 4th owner and last I heard they are going strong.

jmoore
09-17-2015, 04:33 PM

My wheels are Velocity Fusion rims laced to his Speedcific hubs, 28f, 32r. I def broke several spokes on them. I emailed and called him after maybe #4 broke but never got any response.

alembical
09-18-2015, 11:27 AM
I have a pair of his wheels too. They have been great.

oldpotatoe
09-19-2015, 07:39 AM
Breaking spokes is usually a built issue. I had a set of wheels from mike that are on there 3rd or 4th owner and last I heard they are going strong.

Could be, as in tension too low, then ridden, which deforms the rim..too low tension=broken spokes. Kinda like the metal coat hanger-bend-bend-bend-break.