PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassing online order from a bike shop in Toronto

phcollard
09-17-2015, 12:21 PM
A few days ago I ordered a Tacx trainer from a bike shop in Toronto. It's a relatively new erg model and they were the only ones to have it in stock around here. I ordered through their website and paid with Paypal.

That was more or less an impulse buy under the influence of a nice Bordeaux. Couple hours later I realize I do not really need an erg trainer since I still have a fluid trainer and that's enough for me. The package wasn't shipped yet so I am sending an email to the shop to ask if they can cancel the order. No reply. The following day I receive an email with a tracking number.

Fair enough, I though, they probably did not get a chance to catch the package on its way to the post office. But they have a return policy that says "Once we receive your return, as long as it is in "as new condition" we will credit the original payment method (credit card, Paypal, Interac online) within two business days."

So two days later the package shows up at the post office and I ask the Canada Post employee to return it straight. I am at the counter. I do not sign for the package. I do not open the box. I just stick my returns form on the box and back to the store it goes.

I have a tracking for the return and they received the package and signed for it last Thursday. On Tuesday I wasn't refunded yet, remember their policy says two business days, so I am writing an email. No reply. I am sending another email yesterday. No reply. It's been one week now and I am still waiting for the refund.

I have no idea why I do not get a reply to my emails, and why I am not seeing my refund. That's a pretty reputable bike shop in Toronto so what gives? That is very poor form to say the least. Do you think it's too early to file a Paypal dispute? I was thinking I would do this first thing tomorrow morning.

Joachim
09-17-2015, 12:23 PM
A few days ago I ordered a Tacx trainer from a bike shop in Toronto. It's a relatively new erg model and they were the only ones to have it in stock around here. I ordered through their website and paid with Paypal.

That was more or less an impulse buy under the influence of a nice Bordeaux. Couple hours later I realize I do not really need an erg trainer since I still have a fluid trainer and that's enough for me. The package wasn't shipped yet so I am sending an email to the shop to ask if they can cancel the order. No reply. The following day I receive an email with a tracking number.

Fair enough, I though, they probably did not get a chance to catch the package on its way to the post office. But they have a return policy that says "Once we receive your return, as long as it is in "as new condition" we will credit the original payment method (credit card, Paypal, Interac online) within two business days."

So two days later the package shows up at the post office and I ask the Canada Post employee to return it straight. I am at the counter. I do not sign for the package. I do not open the box. I just stick my returns form on the box and back to the store it goes.

I have a tracking for the return and they received the package and signed for it last Thursday. On Tuesday I wasn't refunded yet, remember their policy says two business days, so I am writing an email. No reply. I am sending another email yesterday. No reply. It's been one week now and I am still waiting for the refund.

I have no idea why I do not get a reply to my emails, and why I am not seeing my refund. That's a pretty reputable bike shop in Toronto so what gives? That is very poor form to say the least. Do you think it's too early to file a Paypal dispute? I was thinking I would do this first thing tomorrow morning.

Phone call? If you email goes to their spam folder.... phone call is so easy.

ultraman6970
09-17-2015, 12:24 PM
Call then by phone?? big chance they have so many emails that they dont even bother reading them.

ntb1001
09-17-2015, 12:27 PM
Sometimes things like that can take a few days....but a phone call does sound in order.
On a second note. ..as you're going to order online...and as a fellow Canadian, I would normally just order from somewhere in the UK...usually much cheaper.

saab2000
09-17-2015, 12:29 PM
http://uqqyf8o4k9heoupo.zippykid.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/cat-post-version.png
http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep-calm-and-pick-up-the-phone-12.png

phcollard
09-17-2015, 12:32 PM
I knew somebody was going to mention the phone :D

And I guess you're right. But I am much more at ease writing rather than speaking English. Plus in case I have to file a dispute phone calls have no record.

I find it very strange that when I asked a price match on this thing they replied almost instantly.

ntb1001
09-17-2015, 12:34 PM
Just file a paypal claim...it'll sort out almost immediately after that I bet.

dave thompson
09-17-2015, 12:46 PM
I think the problem may lay with the fact that you refused the shipment rather than "returning" it.

phcollard
09-17-2015, 12:49 PM
I think the problem may lay with the fact that you refused the shipment rather than "returning" it.

How so Dave?

ceolwulf
09-17-2015, 01:11 PM
Itsa sign. You were meant to keep it ;)

phcollard
09-17-2015, 01:17 PM
Itsa sign. You were meant to keep it ;)

Lol. I know. That looked like a good tool!

yngpunk
09-17-2015, 01:24 PM

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the retailer. Perhaps they did issue the refund in the two business days, but it's Paypal who's taking their time putting the money back into your account. From what I understand, a common complaint with paypal and refunds

phcollard
09-17-2015, 02:06 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to blame the retailer. Perhaps they did issue the refund in the two business days, but it's Paypal who's taking their time putting the money back into your account. From what I understand, a common complaint with paypal and refunds

But I would have received a notification email from Paypal. And the store could have at least replied to my email(s)? Asking too much?

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-17-2015, 02:09 PM
Lesson here? No drinking while surfing online bike shops, ebay, Paceline classifieds or cl.

Brian Cdn
09-17-2015, 02:35 PM
What Bike shop ?

rugbysecondrow
09-17-2015, 02:35 PM
Lesson here? No drinking while surfing online bike shops, ebay, Paceline classifieds or cl.

I had a friend who bought a $20,000 truck while drinking and surfing Ebay.

His wife was pissed, but he drove that truck for quite a few years, probably a year or so longer than he wanted to. :)

phcollard
09-17-2015, 02:43 PM
What Bike shop ?

Bicicletta.

Ken Robb
09-17-2015, 02:50 PM
Bicicletta.

There is your problem. Try writing them in Italian. :beer:

Grant McLean
09-17-2015, 02:55 PM
That's a pretty reputable bike shop in Toronto so what gives? That is very poor form to say the least. Do you think it's too early to file a Paypal dispute?

Yeah, it's poor form to be a little slow. But are you being financially damaged
by having to wait a week, or are you worried you're not going to get a refund?

Depending on the shop, most of the staff might be at interbike this week.
I'd call and speak to someone, but pay pal refunds can take a few days
to show up even after the store processes them.

-g

phcollard
09-17-2015, 02:59 PM
Yeah, it's poor form to be a little slow. But are you being financially damaged
by having to wait a week, or are you worried you're not going to get a refund?

Depending on the shop, most of the staff might be at interbike this week.
I'd call and speak to someone, but pay pal refunds can take a few days
to show up even after the store processes them.

-g

Yeah I'm worried.

You're definitely right about Interbike. I did not think of this!

OK I'll calm down and call them tomorrow. I'll do my best.

etu
09-17-2015, 03:05 PM

1+++++
yes, very dangerous
last time i did this, woke up next morning with an angry wife spewing expletives at me as i had forgotten to close the browser with purchase confirmation!:confused:

fuzzalow
09-17-2015, 03:18 PM
I have dealt with Bicicletta for many years. They are as legit as I know them to be from all those many years - at least 15+ years for me. I don't think you should have any problems with them as they still are the same owners from way back. Legit then - legit now.

All this purchase and return results in a normal lag time and ebb & flow of debits and credits across your credit card account, or PayPal. It all gets washed out and righted by no more than one billing cycle based on the timing of the transactions and the closing date of your CC billing cycle. Or PayPal. I much prefer CC, don't have a use for PP unless it's a sporadic e-bay purchase or to get payments for bike parts I rarely sell here.

Dontworryboudit.

RonW87
09-17-2015, 04:09 PM
Call them. Ask for Henry. Use a friendly, non-confrontational approach. You'll get your refund in due course.

phcollard
09-17-2015, 04:14 PM
Hey folks guess what. I just received the PP refund!

Five days later than expected but I understand the Interbike and holidays thing.

Sorry for the interuption. I'm an anxious guy... Who would have thought :D

Now back to normal programming.

phcollard
09-17-2015, 04:15 PM
Oh and thanks everybody for your advice. Much appreciated. This place feels like home :)

ultraman6970
09-17-2015, 04:20 PM
And dont forget to say HEY! at the end of every line :D

There is your problem. Try writing them in Italian. :beer:

oldpotatoe
09-17-2015, 05:06 PM
I knew somebody was going to mention the phone :D

And I guess you're right. But I am much more at ease writing rather than speaking English. Plus in case I have to file a dispute phone calls have no record.

I find it very strange that when I asked a price match on this thing they replied almost instantly.

They are Canadian, Ehh? They probably speak French.

Betting thir return department different than their sales people, just takes more time, IMHO. But call em on the cellie.

oldpotatoe
09-17-2015, 05:08 PM

It's 'eh?, not 'hey'.....geez o Petes you continentals.

makoti
09-17-2015, 05:25 PM

That's Australian, hey.

Tickdoc
09-17-2015, 05:31 PM
I was waiting to see that they shipped you a bike instead of the trainer you ordered. Darn. Good luck with the refund.

ultraman6970
09-17-2015, 06:07 PM
I was aboot to say that doesnt make any difference to me, eh!

It's 'eh?, not 'hey'.....geez o Petes you continentals.

Louis
09-17-2015, 06:14 PM
Hooray! All's well that ends well !!!

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb11147102/p4pb11147102.jpg

weisan
09-17-2015, 08:13 PM
I am a heavy hitter when it comes to ordering stuff online.

The ONLY deviation from the normal process that I can see...and I think it's an important one is...you are not supposed to just "refuse" a package without either getting a RMA number first (by contacting the shop) or sometimes there's a section about "returns" on the invoice that comes inside the box that you have to fill up and attach to the package while you send it back.

I understand the desire to expedite the return process but this is not the "normal" way to do it. So, it's entirely possible that when the package came back to the shop, they were like "Huh? what happened? Did we make a mistake?". They were thrown off and took them a while to figure out what's going on.

phcollard pal, I hope you don't mind, I am just calling it out as I see it, in the end I am glad that everything worked out.

regularguy412
09-17-2015, 10:29 PM
Disclaimer: I've not read all the posts in this thread.

I've done a little shipping and receiving in my time (about 20 years worth). However, I've not done much recently (within the last 15 yrs).

Once upon a time I had a similar experience while working at a previous employer some years ago. Seems one of the previous Shipping/Receiving Managers (before me) had been advised to 'return' a shipped purchase for the store -- prior to its being received. He chose to just Refuse the shipment, out of hand. Didn't sign, or 'Receive' it,, just refused it. The trucking company didn't even take it off the truck. That shipment NEVER was credited back to the store.

As a result, I _always_ 'received' the package or shipment and promptly filled in a return shipping document right away. Yes. It cost a few dollars to do that, but I had a record of the shipment being successfully delivered. AND I had a document signed for by the shipping company of their acceptance of the return shipment.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Just keep on it. Surely you'll hit pay-dirt.

Mike in AR:beer: