PDA

View Full Version : OT: sponsoring an immigrant... thoughts?

JAllen
09-16-2015, 11:07 PM
So my wife and I have a friend that has a husband who recently immigrated here from Russia. He needs a sponsor in order to get truly established here (legally). The dilemma is I think she would take it personally if we ended up saying no. We are thinking about it and want to, but don't want to be naive.

What say the peanut gallery?

ultraman6970
09-16-2015, 11:16 PM
Is your friend an american citizen??

Louis
09-16-2015, 11:22 PM
What exactly are you vouching for / signing up to do, when you "sponsor" someone, and what are the downsides?

ofcounsel
09-16-2015, 11:23 PM
I guess i would ask myself "if he loses his job or decides to stop working can I afford to keep him him fed, clothed and sheltered without bitterness, undue stress, and undue burdens my own family?" If the answer is honestly, NO, then don't do it.

Think about it in the same way you don't want to loan money to family members or friends if you can't afford to lose the money.

Uncle Jam's Army
09-16-2015, 11:24 PM
Sponsorship is a serious undertaking. If the immigrant for whatever reason cannot support themselves, you are contractually agreeing to support that person financially.

ofcounsel
09-16-2015, 11:25 PM
What exactly are you vouching for / signing up to do, when you "sponsor" someone, and what are the downsides?

Financial support so they don't end up on welfare/foodstamps...

ultraman6970
09-16-2015, 11:29 PM
The problem with the sponsor thing is that is tricky... they need to fill up affidavits saying that the dude is super cool and they are sponsoring him to stay, since the dude can't work obviously the sponsor needs to give faith that he is giving the dude money to stay...

"Sponsored noncitizen may have a portion of the sponsorç—´ income and resources
considered available to them..."

So no wonder the OP is asking... if the wife is citizen, I would not get involved at all.

ultraman6970
09-16-2015, 11:32 PM
+1... the other thing some assume the dude is working, but probably he is not... sponsorship means no work permit...

Sponsorship is a serious undertaking. If the immigrant for whatever reason cannot support themselves, you are contractually agreeing to support that person financially.

Louis
09-16-2015, 11:32 PM
So why can't the wife do that? (I'm assuming she's already a resident and has a green card.)

Tin Turtle
09-16-2015, 11:44 PM
So why can't the wife do that? (I'm assuming she's already a resident and has a green card.)

This. It is a very serious road to go down when you decide to sponsor. You will have to not only bind yourself to supporting him, you are on the hook if he just decides to go off the grid and disappear.

And the big red flag is somehow anyone would be pissed at you if you decided not to do this. Right there I would walk away. Believe me, I have tons of friends/relatives in China and everybody knows that's a line we don't cross.

eak12
09-16-2015, 11:48 PM
It sounds like you're being put in tough spot. They are asking for a legally binding contract with the government for financial responsibility. That's a huge request. Especially if it's for a friend's husband who you do not know personally very well.

With all due respect, if offense is taken if you were to decline, these might not be friends worth keeping. I usually find doing things that I'm initially uncomfortable with, usually don't get better further along the process.

Aaron O
09-17-2015, 12:01 AM
Absolutely not - and for someone to assume you would do that baffles me.

verticaldoug
09-17-2015, 12:13 AM
If the wife is an american citizen, they petition for green card on marriage. You are not needed.

If you sponsor him, he no longer needs his wife. He can divorce her, and you are still on the hook. If you don't pay, he has the right to sue you. This is open ended unless he becomes a U.S. citizen, is employed for 40 quarters (10 years), dies or deported.

What percentage of marriages end in divorce the first 10 years? 29%

The answer is no because you end up with the financial obligation and no control of the outcome.

(You can always ask an immigration lawyer about the pitfalls. )

JAllen
09-17-2015, 12:25 AM
To clarify, she was born and raised in the good ol' U.S. of A. She's impoverished and has a disability (macular degeneration and trigeminal neuralgia) that makes working difficult. Not that we are all that well off ourselves. We are at least on more stable footing.

Yeah I was feeling good about it, but I just feel shaken about it.

I think she is so wanting a sponsor that she's become desperate almost. A lot of folks weren't/aren't supportive of them being together. I think a lot of that is xenophobia especially with him coming from our Cold War enemy.

Louis
09-17-2015, 12:29 AM
How long have they been married? How long did they know each other before they were married? If this is all just recent I'd question the motives of the marriage.

vqdriver
09-17-2015, 02:37 AM
Wife and I went thru this.
Don't do it. As much as you want to help, don't do it.
Seriously, this is a big deal with long reaching implications.

Really, don't do it.

ultraman6970
09-17-2015, 06:45 AM
She disabled but is american citizen... IMHO the russian guy dont need you nor your wife to change his status.

After 911 the things changed a lot with immigration, specially if they got married here with him being tourist.

The way you can go around the problem is probably helping to pay for the immigration lawyer?? in that way you get involved but not that involved to the point of having to sponsor the dude (dont sponsor him, bad idea). THey wont get mad at you and you wont feel bad... help is help you know.

There's more than one solution to the problem, one of them is for them to move to another state where the paperwork moves quicker, for example DC metro the case will stall for years, probably mid west it will move faster. But those are things a good immigration lawyer should know.

93legendti
09-17-2015, 07:14 AM
So my wife and I have a friend that has a husband who recently immigrated here from Russia. He needs a sponsor in order to get truly established here (legally). The dilemma is I think she would take it personally if we ended up saying no. We are thinking about it and want to, but don't want to be naive.

What say the peanut gallery?

Of course she will take it personally, what good friend wouldn't want you to be on the hook financially for her husband? :rolleyes:

I think her request, if indeed she will take a "no" personally, is offensive.

FlashUNC
09-17-2015, 07:35 AM
Run, don't walk, away from this one.

Totally doesn't pass the smell test.

rugbysecondrow
09-17-2015, 07:51 AM
To clarify, she was born and raised in the good ol' U.S. of A. She's impoverished and has a disability (macular degeneration and trigeminal neuralgia) that makes working difficult. Not that we are all that well off ourselves. We are at least on more stable footing.

Yeah I was feeling good about it, but I just feel shaken about it.

I think she is so wanting a sponsor that she's become desperate almost. A lot of folks weren't/aren't supportive of them being together. I think a lot of that is xenophobia especially with him coming from our Cold War enemy.

Has she been turned down by others and that is how she ended up at your doorstep? If so, then you turning her down might be a disappointment, but one in a series, so not exceptional.

inlimbo87
09-17-2015, 07:58 AM
I wouldn't do it, too risky.

R3awak3n
09-17-2015, 08:09 AM
I am currently getting my greencard (married to american citizen, at the time my girlfriend of 8 years). I know a little bit about visas.

Been in the US now for 10 or 11 years and have been on 3 or 4 visas and now doing my greencard. Its really a process but its a bigger pain for the immigrant not so much for the sponsor.

There is very little information here you need to be more specific. You can't just be sponsored for being sponsored. There needs to be a reason such as a job. Are you going to employ him? Even if you were he has to have certain skills that they claim Americans don't have. So for example, if your employee is a bar tender its going to be hard to get that person sponsored. Doctors, ect becomes easier but its still difficult.

The best way for that guy to stay in the country is sitting right in front of his nose, get married to that lady. Now I do not know anything about them and if they love each other or whatnot but he can get his green card within 9 months. Its still a bit of work but what in life isnt?

So I am not really sure there is nothing you can do about this and even if it is I wouldn't do it. I had a visa where my friend sponsored me, we both owned a company and our company sponsored me. He is one of my best friends and we owned that company together so it was no biggie but it seems like this guy is not even a good friend of yours.

Joachim
09-17-2015, 08:29 AM
I have been through all of this although mine was employer based sponsorship in a very specific category (EB-1). I didn't know that individuals could sponsor non-family members, but if that is indeed the case you should ask yourself if you are willing to risk financial ruin because of someone you do not even know. Have a chat with an immigration lawyer and ask about the worst case scenario, since it could happen. I would never, ever risk my family with such a request. Unless its my mother, but she has pretty much paid her dues. People say when red lights are flashing you need to watch out, this is a bloody carnival attraction at night with fireworks.

verticaldoug
09-17-2015, 08:32 AM
I am currently getting my greencard (married to american citizen, at the time my girlfriend of 8 years). I know a little bit about visas.

Been in the US now for 10 or 11 years and have been on 3 or 4 visas and now doing my greencard. Its really a process but its a bigger pain for the immigrant not so much for the sponsor.

There is very little information here you need to be more specific. You can't just be sponsored for being sponsored. There needs to be a reason such as a job. Are you going to employ him? Even if you were he has to have certain skills that they claim Americans don't have. So for example, if your employee is a bar tender its going to be hard to get that person sponsored. Doctors, ect becomes easier but its still difficult.

The best way for that guy to stay in the country is sitting right in front of his nose, get married to that lady. Now I do not know anything about them and if they love each other or whatnot but he can get his green card within 9 months. Its still a bit of work but what in life isnt?

So I am not really sure there is nothing you can do about this and even if it is I wouldn't do it. I had a visa where my friend sponsored me, we both owned a company and our company sponsored me. He is one of my best friends and we owned that company together so it was no biggie but it seems like this guy is not even a good friend of yours.

Your spouse will have to provide tax returns with documentation to prove that she has the resources to keep you from becoming a charge of the government. If she fails that test, you can use an outside sponsor to meet the guarantee. That is the issue here.

If you are independently wealthy, you could just buy a condo at Jaypeak use (abuse) the EB-5 program. But that is not the issue here.

dgauthier
09-17-2015, 09:10 AM
If the wife is an american citizen, they petition for green card on marriage. You are not needed.

If you sponsor him, he no longer needs his wife. He can divorce her, and you are still on the hook. If you don't pay, he has the right to sue you. This is open ended unless he becomes a U.S. citizen, is employed for 40 quarters (10 years), dies or deported.

What percentage of marriages end in divorce the first 10 years? 29%

The answer is no because you end up with the financial obligation and no control of the outcome.

(You can always ask an immigration lawyer about the pitfalls. )

+1. Don't do it. This is the sort of thing blood relatives do for each other. (My cousin sponsored me from Canada.) Stay away. And if the wife is going to give you grief about it, stay away from her too.

likebikes
09-17-2015, 09:10 AM
This has bad idea written all over it.

jmoore
09-17-2015, 09:14 AM
NFW

Help them some other way, but NFW do you do this.

R3awak3n
09-17-2015, 09:24 AM
Your spouse will have to provide tax returns with documentation to prove that she has the resources to keep you from becoming a charge of the government. If she fails that test, you can use an outside sponsor to meet the guarantee. That is the issue here.

If you are independently wealthy, you could just buy a condo at Jaypeak use (abuse) the EB-5 program. But that is not the issue here.

There are ways around this if you are the sole bread winner. Also do you know how much those resources are? Its less than $30 000 a year she has to make to prove she has them enough to get you the green card.

There are definitely other ways to do it and if you have money I am sure it gets easy. If you work for a big corporation its really easy they will get you a green card in no time.

I was on visas as an artist and to get a green card is very hard, through a company it can take up to 5 years or you can do the EB1 (I believe thats the code) which is extremely hard, you have to pretty much have tons of published stuff and be known in your industry/have done big things.

I got an O1 visa which was so hard to get, had to submit a 200 page portfolio amongst other things.

On topic.

He should marry her apply for the green card and live his life as an honest married man. Otherwise he can get divorced in 3 years and keep his green card (stuff happens but there are also tons of people that get married for a green card... - imo not worth it)

listen to all those people here, DON'T DO IT.

ultraman6970
09-17-2015, 11:06 AM
I know several cases of guys that paid (a LOT) to somebody to get married, and hope the chick do not screw you up in the divorce.

daker13
09-17-2015, 07:05 PM

I'm curious about this--the Cold War was 25 years ago. I myself don't really run into people with anti-Russian sentiments, but maybe that's just here in New England.

Md3000
09-17-2015, 07:27 PM
Just for some perspective from the other side for the people that say "just marry the lady and it's done"

I married my girlfriend of 5 years, moved to the U.S.
and went the whole nine yards as an immigrant.

My k1 visa took 8 months to get, submitting paperwork in country of origin as well as on this end, with massive help of an immigration lawyer.
When I was finally allowed in to marry, I applied for a green card that's valid for 3 months. After these three months you apply for a 1 year Green card, then again for another five years, and then you can choose to become a citizen and get a passport if you want. ( i did ). The total cost in administrative fees is about $10000.

I came from a Original EU member country, so add about double that in both time and money for a place with so much corrupt bureaucracy as Russia, not to mention much more scrutiny when here.

Totally not saying you should get into this venture but immigrating is far more difficult than people think

R3awak3n
09-18-2015, 12:36 AM
Just for some perspective from the other side for the people that say "just marry the lady and it's done"

I married my girlfriend of 5 years, moved to the U.S.
and went the whole nine yards as an immigrant.

My k1 visa took 8 months to get, submitting paperwork in country of origin as well as on this end, with massive help of an immigration lawyer.
When I was finally allowed in to marry, I applied for a green card that's valid for 3 months. After these three months you apply for a 1 year Green card, then again for another five years, and then you can choose to become a citizen and get a passport if you want. ( i did ). The total cost in administrative fees is about $10000.

I came from a Original EU member country, so add about double that in both time and money for a place with so much corrupt bureaucracy as Russia, not to mention much more scrutiny when here.

Totally not saying you should get into this venture but immigrating is far more difficult than people think

much easier to get a green card if you are already in the country.

christian
09-18-2015, 06:16 AM
God no. Absolutely not.

fuzzalow
09-18-2015, 07:08 AM
You come across as being a nice guy JAllen. And young, nice guys like you tend to attract opportunistic persons like this supposed "friend" who is no friend. There are untold many who will lie, cheat, steal to get something from anyone. And the life altering benefit of a path to US citizenship is worth far more than what anyone would connive to want to rip you off for. So do yourself a favor and not only not sponsor this situation, but also try not to associate with an underclass such as these kind of people. I'd even suggest your friend was pressured by her boyfriend to ask around to try to hook a sponsor. Beware.

Life is tough. People will always justify whatever needs to be done. But as onerous as the process to citizenship is, the process still is open and rewards those that can demonstrate value in contributing to our nation - this boyfriend appears to have no such capacity. I am confident you already know what not to do.

Raffy
09-18-2015, 07:17 AM
You come across as being a nice guy JAllen. And young, nice guys like you tend to attract opportunistic persons like this supposed "friend" who is no friend. There are untold many who will lie, cheat, steal to get something from anyone. And the life altering benefit of a path to US citizenship is worth far more than what anyone would connive to want to rip you off for. So do yourself a favor and not only not sponsor this situation, but also try not to associate with an underclass such as these kind of people. I'd even suggest your friend was pressured by her boyfriend to ask around to try to hook a sponsor. Beware.

Life is tough. People will always justify whatever needs to be done. But as onerous as the process to citizenship is, the process still is open and rewards those that can demonstrate value in contributing to our nation - this boyfriend appears to have no such capacity. I am confident you already know what not to do.

I don't mean to be negative about the world today but I have to agree with with the Fuzzy's points, especially ones in the first paragraph.

Not sure I agree with "this boyfriend appears to have no such capacity" as it's hard to say that with so little information about him but this is totally possible as well.

AngryScientist
09-18-2015, 07:30 AM
J

From reading some of your previous posts, and not meaning this in anything but a constructive manner: I believe you are not far along yet in your career path to be considered financially stable enough to be able to absorb a major hit to your obligations and come out OK. You have to think of it as a business arrangement in which you "hope for the best and plan for the worst", and i suspect "the worst" would be a burden to you beyond what you can easily recover from, and; though I cant speak for you, believe that just isnt worth the risk.

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-18-2015, 08:16 AM

This.

FlashUNC
09-18-2015, 08:34 AM
Serious question -- and I say this still sticking by my run away advice -- how does someone impoverished and disabled in the United States meet and marry some rando dude from Russia?

Yes, I get the Internet exists, but this is extremely, extremely bizarre.

fuzzalow
09-18-2015, 08:41 AM
Serious question -- and I say this still sticking by my run away advice -- how does someone impoverished and disabled in the United States meet and marry some rando dude from Russia?

HaHa! She was Plan A and even she wasn't gonna exchange "I do"s with this wanker. But she has a reason in keepin' him around which is perfectly fine and her own business. He knows this and has moved along to Plan B.

Don't be Plan B.

JAllen
09-18-2015, 08:43 AM
Thank you to everyone for the wisdom and advice. I think the answer is a resounding no. People have brought up many valid points. I truly am not in a position to shoulder the burden should it turn south. I'll do my due diligence and speak to the immigration lawyer, but I've made up my mind. I care deeply about this lady as she has been long time friend to my wife and I. We've seen her through many trials. I've met and spoken to her new husband (as best as we can communicate) many times. Though I want to see the best outcome, I can be overly optimistic at times. As others have pointed out, we can help in other ways. Thanks again.

AngryScientist
09-18-2015, 08:43 AM
Don't be Plan B.

ha! i love it.

great advice "always have a plan B, dont ever BE plan B"

unterhausen
09-18-2015, 08:44 AM
If my prejudices are correct, it's not that bizarre at all. We have an interesting dichotomy here in Happy Valley. The university is the beneficiary of a lot of talent from the former Soviet Union. We also managed to pick up a number of violent criminals -- really bad in a couple of cases. I am not sure how the violent criminals made it in to the states, but don't imagine it was through work visas.

AngryScientist
09-18-2015, 08:45 AM
more advice: if this guy invites you out to drink vodka all night, run. :hello:

JAllen
09-18-2015, 08:46 AM

We didn't even think he existed until we meet him face to face. Kind of an "oh.... OK. Wasn't expecting this outcome"

JAllen
09-18-2015, 08:49 AM
more advice: if this guy invites you out to drink vodka all night, run. :hello:

Haha! Yeah I think she married the one guy who doesn't drink. Maybe that's why he had to leave Russia...

WickedWheels
09-18-2015, 08:49 AM
Get in touch with an immigration lawyer or two and ask their opinions, not guys on a bike forum.

That being said, I'm a Russian immigrant/refuge who came here in '87. were sponsored by family. Settled north of Boston, sponsored lots of family and friends ourselves. Everyone my family sponsored because a successful professional here and very quickly. We are the immigrants that pop Trump's bubble... became Americanized property owners who pay ridiculous amounts in taxes without ever getting government assistance. None of us were a risk, but we were all professional and highly educated. So the question is... How well do you know these people ?

R3awak3n
09-18-2015, 10:21 AM
Get in touch with an immigration lawyer or two and ask their opinions, not guys on a bike forum.

That being said, I'm a Russian immigrant/refuge who came here in '87. were sponsored by family. Settled north of Boston, sponsored lots of family and friends ourselves. Everyone my family sponsored because a successful professional here and very quickly. We are the immigrants that pop Trump's bubble... became Americanized property owners who pay ridiculous amounts in taxes without ever getting government assistance. None of us were a risk, but we were all professional and highly educated. So the question is... How well do you know these people ?

very nice man!

I have to say that I am all for sponsoring people (I wouldn't be here otherwise) but its who you sponsor and why.

fuzzalow
09-18-2015, 10:51 AM
As follow up to my earlier posts: there were details left out in the OP and I responded to what I read. It doesn't change all that much that he is married to her, it only makes it more complicated. If he still needs a sponsor after being legally wed then I'd guess the U.S. gov't wants not to bear financial responsibility for this newly minted groom and wants an underwriter/sponsor to bear this ongoing risk.

I meant to cast no aspersions upon JAllen's valued friend. But she has entered into an extremely questionable relationship with unclear motives and uncertain ends. And that association has a collateral effect on those around her that may entail responsibilities and obligations that are detrimental to the focus our young forum member JAllen owes first to himself and to his family. It is not unkind to say no. There is a reason why the airlines tell you to first put the oxygen mask on yourself before trying to help others.

93legendti
09-18-2015, 11:15 AM
I would wonder why your friend's parents, siblings and/or relatives aren't sponsoring her husband...

Thankfully, everyone here understands the difference between legal and illegal immigration.

R3awak3n
09-18-2015, 11:28 AM
so wait, he can't apply for a green card through marriage because she doesn't make enough money?

Does he make any money?