PDA

View Full Version : OT: Trail running shoes

TBLS
09-16-2015, 05:43 PM
Running more often on dirt trails, plenty of uphills/downhills. Rocks and pebbles but not overly technical. Currently run in my road shoes , pretty well cushioned Asics 2000's.

Appreciate any advice if trail running shoes would be a good investment and provide any significant benefit over my road shoes...safety, ankle and toe protection, etc.

Thanks!

malcolm
09-16-2015, 06:26 PM
I don't think most trail shoes will offer much in ankle protection mine are all about the same height as regular running shoes.

I have some montrail mountain madness that I like and some newtons that are really nice but traction not that good.

My go to shoe with good traction is the old salomon speed cross. I don't know that they offer a boat load of protection but they are fairly light, cushioned enough and really good all terrain traction

guido
09-16-2015, 06:40 PM
I'm a big fan of Hoka OneOne Stinsons. Very easy on the body...

Gummee
09-16-2015, 06:50 PM
running shoes are as personal as saddles. What works for one, may not work as well for another...

That said, I've run in Brooks Cascadias and Adrenalines, in Pearl Izumis of various vintages, Columbias, and North Face shoes. They all have good things and bad things about them.

Adrenalines are basically a little beefier road shoes. I'd call em dual sport shoes: More biased towards roads and paths. They have stability built in which isn't good for woods.

My favorite shoes lately have been the Pearls (http://shop.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=31&product_id=2407684&outlet=&color_code=4TW). I have the N2 version and like em.

The North face (https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-ultra-trail-gtx?from=subCat&variationId=VL9&cm_mmc=Google-_-ProductListingAds-_-ProductTerms-_-The+North+Face+Men+s+Ultra+Trail+GTX+Shoes+13+&dvid=c&aptid=68750741385&adtid=pla&crtID=54075327750&pdtid=C573VL9130&pptid=68750741385&dvid=c&aptid=68750741385&adtid=pla&crtID=54075327750&pdtid=C573VL9130&pptid=68750741385&lsft=dvid:c,aptid:68750741385,adtid:pla,crtID:5407 5327750,pdtid:C573VL9130,pptid:68750741385) shoes I've run in have been a bit too minimalist for my 'run in the dead of winter' running fitness.

HTH

M

EDS
09-16-2015, 07:24 PM
I really like the Salomon XA Pro 3d GTX but some of their newer offerings may be better for your application.

wc1934
09-16-2015, 07:34 PM
Why don't you just stay with the asics gt 2000 and get the trail version?

mgm777
09-16-2015, 07:34 PM
If your trails are mostly hard-pack and flat, stay with your road shoes. Trail shoes are not necessary. However, if your trails include lots of hills, then trail shoes are worth the expense. I only run trails, here in the foothills of CO, and only wear trail shoes. My preferred shoe is the Salomon Speedcross. Great grip for both the ups and downs. Interestingly, for road running, I generally prefer stability shoes(Mizuno Wave Inspire, or ASICS Keyano). However, on the trail I really love the Speedcross, which is marketed as a neutral shoe. I've tried stability shoes on the trail and didn't like them. For me, the Cascadia was too soft and high volume for the trail. Just like saddles, YMMV.

CunegoFan
09-16-2015, 08:54 PM
I'm a big fan of Hoka OneOne Stinsons. Very easy on the body...

This. Or another model of Hoka's.

Other than Hoka I am partial to Montrail and Merrell.

Some models of Montrail feature a plate under the ball of the foot for rocky terrain. An extra stiff toe box is also a common feature of many trail running shoes; this really helps after you have stubbed your toe on roots or rocks three or four times during a race. Some shoes have attachment points for gators but it is easy enough to glue velcro strips to a shoe.

For long distances, one thing I like is non-porous material for the upper. Mesh lets in lots of dirt, which embeds itself in your socks and can cause blisters.

I don't recommend Goretex in shoes.

joosttx
09-16-2015, 09:00 PM
Second the hoka stinsons

cinema
09-16-2015, 09:31 PM
my favorite are altra superior 2.0

deechee
09-17-2015, 07:22 AM
another +1 for Hokas. I run in Bondi 3s but have to tell you the soles aren't grippy and after they get worn in a bit, they're pretty slick. The extra cushioning is nice over the pebbles.

JStonebarger
09-17-2015, 08:35 AM
I hear wonderful things about Hokas, but they're a very narrow shoe.

For a wide toebox with light, moderate, or "max" padding, check out Altras.

guido
09-17-2015, 09:09 AM
I wouldn't say "very" narrow but certainly narrower than Altras.

I have fairly low volume feet and I need to put an extra insole to take up space in my Hoka Bondi4 or Stinson models.

The Conquest is narrower though, but I'm not as much of a fan of their ride.

GScot
09-17-2015, 09:36 AM
I'll +1 the it's like picking a saddle comment. But extra info helps when making a decision. I started running in 2011 so I do not have a long history but I am obsessive about everything I get into. I started with stability Newtons which really did help me fine tune a proper form. I also took advantage of shoe trials and even won a couple of pair in raffles at Road Runner in Tempe. I found out I could run in anything and transitioned to mostly minimal shoes.

PHX area had gravel and rocks, Camelback and South Mtn had steep sections and big sharp rocks. I typically like minimal shoes for the added dexterity of your foot and balance control on rough terrain. Exception was South Mtn and Camelback I would use some shoes with good cushioning to protect from stone bruises as there are some real drops on the downhill parts. Now I am in STL and the trails are hard clay with roots or sloppy muck depending on the day. Sometimes loose rock sections. Same rules probably apply but I haven't found a favorite yet. Good luck and don't overdo it if you aren't used to rough conditions.

And about extra protection I found my feet adapted very well to rough terrain even with nothing but a vibram sole underfoot. Just work into it.

SpeedyChix
09-17-2015, 10:43 AM
Been very happy with the various Salomon shoes. The SpeedCross is very nice.

Likes2ridefar
09-17-2015, 11:44 AM

The newest model trail shoe is wider. I have their Stinson Tarmac running shoes and recently got the mafate 4. The mafate is much wider in the toe box.

Love their shoes.

TiminVA
09-17-2015, 12:11 PM
When I first started trail running 5 or 6 years ago I went through several models of trail shoes. I never could find anything that either felt right or lasted very long. I run fairly technical stuff and do it all in road shoes now. Just like saddles, what works for one person will not for others.

deechee
09-17-2015, 12:15 PM
The newest model trail shoe is wider. I have their Stinson Tarmac running shoes and recently got the mafate 4. The mafate is much wider in the toe box.

Love their shoes.

Inverse for Bondis. Bondi3s were wider than the 4's. I'm curious to try the Altras but the 0 drop has me a bit hesitant.

ajhapps
09-17-2015, 01:40 PM
I really like the Salomon XA Pro 3d GTX but some of their newer offerings may be better for your application.

+1 - love these trail running shoes

Likes2ridefar
09-17-2015, 03:35 PM
Inverse for Bondis. Bondi3s were wider than the 4's. I'm curious to try the Altras but the 0 drop has me a bit hesitant.

I had a pair of zero drop altras. I really liked them as well as far as comfort goes, but they were different than the hokas in that they are more minimalist. i had the lone peak model. it seems they are on 2.5 now. i'm not sure which I had.

i shredded the uppers pretty fast, but it was mostly the thinner sole that didnt work for me.

They still had some cushion but i could feel rocks through them and couldnt bomb down rocky descents as easily as I can in the hokas or other shoes I've had. FYI, I mountain run in the adirondacks and white mountains so am referring to very steep, big rocks/sharp rocks type terrain.

the zero drop took zero adjustment for me. I had 4mm drop before them with minimalist style cushioning though, so YMMV.

my favorite minimalist style trail shoe is brooks pure grit. I had the II but i'm sure they are a few generations up now. They are nice and wide and have excellent grip. again, the uppers arent that durable but for such a light and comfortable shoe i think it's a reasonable tradeoff. I did one fast run/hike in the 'dacks and had multiple holes in them. mind you it was 25 miles doing the great range traverse.

p nut
09-17-2015, 04:54 PM
my favorite are altra superior 2.0

These are what I wear now. Did 30 miles, 5k ft last weekend, and they felt pretty good. They are definitely softer/flexier than my previous shoe, La Sportiva Wildcats, so it took some getting used to, but will say I only ran in them for a total of 10 miles before this longer run. The terrain had some fairly rocky sections, which I felt the shoe was a bit too under-cushioned, but with the rock plate in place, it wasn't bad at all. No sore foot at the end of the day. The zero drop thing wasn't even noticed. No issues for me. I also appreciated the slightly bigger toe box, even though I noticed a blister on top of one of my toes.

One issue: The uppers are super thin. Found a nice hole on the inside of the foot, where I must have cut it on a rock. About 2-3mm. Superglue and gorilla tape took care of it. Hope it holds, because I like the shoe otherwise.

For super rocky terrain, I'd forego this shoe and get the La Sportiva, or Lone Peak 2.5. For your type of terrain, the weight, stickiness, and adequate cushioning of this shoe would work great.

MrDangerPants
09-17-2015, 07:00 PM
Another Hoka convert here. I have both the Stinson ATR (with the quick lace) and the Bondi 4. I have a narrow foot, a B that's really close to an A, and use both inserts that Hoka provides. I also have a slightly high arch. They fit very well. I'm sad Hoka did away with the quick lace feature. They're really great and I've never experienced any problems. I should say that I don't trail run and use the Stinson ATRs for winter training. I'll be running the 2016 Boston Marathon most likely in the Bondi 4s though the Stinson ATRs are such a great all-around shoe, I just might use those. Oh, and I ran the Covered Bridges Half Marathon earlier this year in the Bondi 4s and they performed great on gravel, so I suppose those could be used for light trail running. (P.S. I also wear thick Thorlo socks so these really fit nicely.)

mhespenheide
09-17-2015, 10:32 PM
Really, it depends on your local trails and your personal feet and biomechanics.

To put together an analogy, some people ride smooth dirt roads on road bikes and 700x25mm tires. Some people ride gravel on cross bikes. Some people ride burly trails on enduro bikes (or DH).

On top of that, some people pronate, some supinate, and others are neutral.

To put in my own $0.02, I've run trails through the California mountains and desert, the Colorado Plateau's redrock, and the Rockies. All with "road" shoes. Lots and lots of miles, lots and lots of trails. Only a handful of times have I wished for burlier "trail" shoes.

cinema
09-17-2015, 10:37 PM
One issue: The uppers are super thin. Found a nice hole on the inside of the foot, where I must have cut it on a rock. About 2-3mm. Superglue and gorilla tape took care of it. Hope it holds, because I like the shoe otherwise.

Yeah these shoes are SUPER light. the lightest i've ever felt. the material is thin so i'm careful with it. I feel like they are wearing pretty fast but out of the box they are really comfortable if you prefer less cushioning. i just did a beautiful, high elevation hike in big sur last weekend in them. I also love wearing them on set because they are featherweight and i can go anywhere in them without pain on 14 hour days. i suppose this is why they're wearing quickly. i use the rock insert too which i haven't necessarily noticed but i'm sure it's helping. they are really malleable and conform to your foot well, which wasn't the case with my solomons (the arch on my xd ultra was too high, never broke in right and gave me terrible pain as it pushed up into my foot.)

TBLS
10-08-2015, 03:54 PM
Thanks to all for your comments. Went with a Salomon pair thru REI outlet

Work well, nice, firm sole, roomier toe box vs my Asics.

Just in time for my 9 miler this weekend and trail half in a month

pdmtong
10-08-2015, 07:53 PM
I like the Salomon XA pro 3D GTX as well. Goretex keeps the foot a bit dryer and just enough toe box armor if you mis step a root

Agreed with its all preference but of course fit has to trump all

Montrail and north face make nice product too