PDA

View Full Version : Modifying a Shimano chainring?

d_douglas
09-16-2015, 05:25 PM
I am thinking of doing the insane, and converting a 1x to a 2x system. I have a set of NOS Shimano SLX M675 rings (36x24t) and a Raceface Turbine crankset.

I thought this was a go, but now realize that the bolt section of the large ring is shaped a bit weird and doesn't mesh with the Raceface arms. If I minimally filed the ring interface, they'd fit. The small ring is freestanding, so no problems there.

Is this OK? These are NOT lightweight, high-tech alloy rings - they're stamped steel and decent quality, but I am trying to keep costs to a minimum.

Mikej
09-16-2015, 07:35 PM
I am thinking of doing the insane, and converting a 1x to a 2x system. I have a set of NOS Shimano SLX M675 rings (36x24t) and a Raceface Turbine crankset.

I thought this was a go, but now realize that the bolt section of the large ring is shaped a bit weird and doesn't mesh with the Raceface arms. If I minimally filed the ring interface, they'd fit. The small ring is freestanding, so no problems there.

Is this OK? These are lightweight, high-tech alloy rings - they're stamped steel and decent quality, but I am trying to keep costs to a minimum.

Yeah I had to file some rings for my kid- the inner diameter was too large so I filed down enough to snap them on tight. Took some knuckle skin so be careful.