PDA

View Full Version : Handlebar query

e-RICHIE
05-14-2006, 09:49 PM
is caruso the only top 10 giro d'italia gc
guy using non-classic shaped h'bars atmo?

hey - thanks for reading.

jerk
05-14-2006, 09:55 PM
is caruso the only top 10 giro d'italia gc
guy using non-classic shaped h'bars atmo?

hey - thanks for reading.

the jerk thinks that basso uses gay bars too.

jerk

amg
05-14-2006, 09:56 PM
Caruso is from Sicily. Be careful what you say, your next word may be your last. ;) :D

Antonio

coylifut
05-14-2006, 10:22 PM
he uses the round ones with the really tight drops

DiLuca uses the squared off ones

catulle
05-14-2006, 11:16 PM
Pavarotti is using Ram bars, atmo.

Kahuna
05-15-2006, 12:51 AM
the jerk thinks that basso uses gay bars too.

jerk

Climb01742
05-15-2006, 05:23 AM
you mean these, richie? it's interesting that nearly every part of a race bike has gone tres modern high zoot except for the ton of riders who still uses deda alu bars, either 215s or round drop newtons. these, on the other hand, do look MP.

e-RICHIE
05-15-2006, 06:44 AM
yes.
that's caruso.
those are the h'bars. interesting (atmo) that so few of the top
"stars" ever got drawn into the anatomic-slash-ergonomic thing
that the industry served up in the 90s.

BumbleBeeDave
05-15-2006, 06:46 AM
. . . this thing with bars. I mean, what difference does it make? My anatomics work fine. The round Cinelli's on my Vitus worked fine. I presume these guys are using the bars oftheir choice and whatever they are using works fine for them. I've seen the same thing with saddles . . . Use whatever feels best. Long live the free market and the selection it offers.

And Jerk . . . "gay bars" . . . was that really necessary?

BBD

e-RICHIE
05-15-2006, 07:17 AM
. . . this thing with bars. I mean, what difference does it make? My anatomics work fine. The round Cinelli's on my Vitus worked fine. I presume these guys are using the bars oftheir choice and whatever they are using works fine for them. I've seen the same thing with saddles . . . Use whatever feels best. Long live the free market and the selection it offers.

BBD
1) atmo it means that the guys that use h'bars for a living
choose shapes that all but were going the way of the dodo
bird because industry spec-ed the gay bars on store-bought
bicycles for nearly a generation, leaving the h'bar suppliers
to produce only the smallest amount of trad shaped bars
once or twice a year - and most of these get consumed by
the pros, and for good reason. fortunately, the h'bar shape
thang is a trend that is slowly reversing itself.
2) 3mm is very important.

saab2000
05-15-2006, 07:24 AM
I have had anatomic bars in the past. They seemed cool at first. Then I would ride one of my bikes with round bars and found out that indeed I liked them better.

Some of it is fashion within the peloton. They definitely want to look 'proper' for their friends. Right now proper means round bars for most of them.

But I think most of them really do like the round bars better.

Bring back a Cinelli 65 which works with the current Ergo bars!

Kirk Pacenti
05-15-2006, 07:25 AM
http://www.rathergood.com/gaybar/

classic1
05-15-2006, 07:25 AM
2) 3mm is very important.

that's what my wife says.

McGee and Cooke FDJ were using custom made ITM trad bend bars a few years ago at FDJ. You could not buy them, they only made them for the pros.

Tom
05-15-2006, 07:38 AM
I thought I needed flat spots on the bars because I felt I couldn't get comfortable on the round bars, contact points were at each side of my hands and it got uncomfortable.

So, I went out and got Easton carbon bars and put them on the one bike. I rode them and sort of liked them. Pluses: they're out there where I can pull on the bars when I'm in the drops and want to go faster. Minuses: no tail. I mean, no tail on the drops where you can put your hands when you want to cruise. The tops are a little weird, too. They're OK, but just.

I have normal bars on the other bike which is the high mileage bike. Pluses: I don't know why but the round parts are no issue any more. They have tail in the drops so I don't have to sit on the tops if I just want to relax along. Minuses: They're not out there where I can pull on them, and this is a longer bike with a longer stem. In my opinion, not enough reach and drop. They're OK.

So... I see people talk about Deda 65s (right?) as the good normal deep drop bar. What others might do the trick and are actually still being made?

e-RICHIE
05-15-2006, 07:41 AM
So... I see people talk about Deda 65s (right?) as the good normal deep drop bar. What others might do the trick and are actually still being made?

www.ovalconcepts.com
http://www.ovalconcepts.com/productsDetails.php?idProdotti=40&idProd1=2

saab2000
05-15-2006, 07:42 AM

If you are talking about my post, I am talking about the defunct Cinelli 65 "Criterium" bar. This was a popular shape in the pro peloton and the most famous user was probably Sean Kelly. Look at photos of his bars. Duclo-Lasalle also used them, or bars like them.

There is nothing like it made any more, but the Deda 215 Round Deep Drop is a good bar, very similar to the Cinelli 66, which was favored by Eddy Merckx and Greg Lemond.

Spicoli
05-15-2006, 07:43 AM
But Stephan Wesseman(Sp) had some funky carbon bars with the winged tops and a traditional round drop, talk about a strange mix. If you have either Liege or maybe Amstel check his bars out, I had to look a few times but he has some weird custom jobs.

Grant McLean
05-15-2006, 07:49 AM
. . . this thing with bars. I mean, what difference does it make?
BBD

Ya, I don't really get it. None of the pros ever ride in the drops, beause their
bikes are too small, the bars are too low, and they can't even reach down
there. They only ever ride on the hoods these days.

g

dbrk
05-15-2006, 07:51 AM
. . . this thing with bars. I mean, what difference does it make? My anatomics work fine. The round Cinelli's on my Vitus worked fine. And Jerk . . . "gay bars" . . . was that really necessary?
BBD

Well, first, the anatomics are ugly and since A Certain Famous Someone (infrequently here, btw, hence giving me a special moment to not mention him by name) once called me "the aesthetics police" or close to that (no, that would not be you, BBD...), I feel it my solemn privilege to pronounce. No deprecations to those who like them but opinions being what they ar---free---mine is: Ugly, ugly, ugly. That said I still have them two on bikes that somehow slipped past inspection and I am too lazy to swap out tape, etc. Sure, I too have no problem with how they work for me but bars should be ROUND with no untoward angles like tubes, with the only exception being Serotta's magnificent swagged rigs. Serotta is the only non-round tube design that warrants SERIOUS KUDOS for sheer coolness, beauty, and off the charts sayhey. Let that Certain Famous Someone also be alerted, however, that I don't let bikes fit any way they can.

And "gay bars" works for me. Did anyone check where Vito Spatafore finished yesterday in the Giro?

dbrk

theprep
05-15-2006, 07:57 AM
Andrew - please, please, please slam the door on any Johny Cake discussions!

zap
05-15-2006, 08:06 AM
Ride what works for you.

e-Richie and Jerk, come on down to Nottrott. Lets discuss this further on a nice, long, hard sunny ride this coming weekend.

Ray
05-15-2006, 08:06 AM
Well, I agree with BBDave - bars are like saddles. Use what you like. I like round bars best, but my preferences are so out of left field anyway...

I just gotta have some flare in the dropped portion to feel right. I use an old Nitto dirt drop that's a typical round drop bar down to near the bottom of the hook, but the flat part of the bottoms of the drops flare outward about 7 degrees. Bars that come straight back just feel wierd to me when I'm out of the saddle in the drops or when I'm descending in the drops. I like 'em wider and angled down there - feels more stable and my wrists clear the ramps. To get that with a normal drop bar, I gotta go wider than I like at the hoods and I still hit the ramps. So I'm screwed because they don't make 'em anymore and I've been hoarding but I'm not sure my supply is good for the whole lifetime.

Salsa makes an 'anatomic' with the same sort of flare - the Bell Lap, made for you cross guys. I don't hate it. It's fine for descending, but doesn't feel right on short hill sprints out of the saddle. So it's a weak second place followed by everything else, which I really don't like.

The point of which is, I ride something highly specific that I like waaaaay more than anything else out there. If you like something else highly specific, cool - I hope they keep making it. If you can get comfortable with almost anything, you're very lucky - you have many good choices.

-Ray

e-RICHIE
05-15-2006, 08:07 AM
Ride what works for you.

e-Richie and Jerk, come on down to Nottrott. Lets discuss this further on a nice, long, hard sunny ride this coming weekend.

thanks -
i wanna race here atmo.

saab2000
05-15-2006, 08:15 AM
...If you like something else highly specific, cool - I hope they keep making it....
-Ray

That's the problem. Too often really cool stuff that seems to be universally liked is removed from production - the good Cinelli bars, Turbo, Turbomatic and Concors saddles, the original Cateye Mity computer, and maybe one or two other things.

Tom
05-15-2006, 08:21 AM
To go veering off down that well-traveled road. I bet the product's really good, but this made me chuckle:

"Classic round bend for infinite hand positioning
Pro's choice for long days in the saddle "

Infinite hand positioning... sounds like somebody I used to date.

And if the pro's ride it, I should run right out and buy it.

Just kidding, e-R. Thanks for the link. It looks like it's worth trying to find some of these in the flesh, so to speak.

Climb01742
05-15-2006, 08:21 AM
easton ec90 equipe pro are both modern (carbon) and traditional (round bend with great flats in the drops). all is not lost.

http://www.eastonbike.com/PRODUCTS/BARS/bar_road_ec90_equipe.html

e-RICHIE
05-15-2006, 08:26 AM
That's the problem. Too often really cool stuff that seems to be universally liked is removed from production...

that is/was the problem.
the h'bar "industry" is dependent on oem sales, and aftermarket
sales are a blip that they'd neglect at the drop of a dime. when
something you like seemingly is about to disappear for no
apparent reason, you can vote with your dollars and/or go howard
beale on someone's hiney. classic h'bars were all but nonexistant
on importer's sku lists 5-7 years ago and it got under my skin when
i heard the reasons they were not imported and mebbe soon no longer
to be made. i went medieval a 'la wierd al on some of my suppliers and,
fortunately, i can now get what i want, what i use, and what are on
nearly everybody's rig 'ceptin caruso's.
are you desiring something that the lbs says he can no longer get?
open the window. do this:

Spicoli
05-15-2006, 08:28 AM
easton ec90 equipe pro are both modern (carbon) and traditional (round bend with great flats in the drops). all is not lost.

http://www.eastonbike.com/PRODUCTS/BARS/bar_road_ec90_equipe.html
Are'nt they real tiny though? I remember seeing a pair and I could not get my hands in them. What ever happened to deep drop bars? 140+?

Climb01742
05-15-2006, 08:57 AM
they are shallow drop, which works for me. but deda still makes newton deep drops. same shape, just bigger.

Ray
05-15-2006, 09:19 AM
And "gay bars" works for me. Did anyone check where Vito Spatafore finished yesterday in the Giro?
The guy might have a sprint - I dunno. But his power to weight is all 'effed up for the hills. He'll be lucky to survive to the end of the Giro based on yesterday's weak performance.

-Ray

goonster
05-15-2006, 09:30 AM

How did you get a picture of Jobst professing his love for the MA-2?

Hasn't worked yet . . .

I miss it too.

e-RICHIE
05-15-2006, 09:38 AM
How did you get a picture of Jobst professing his love for the MA-2?

Hasn't worked yet . . .

I miss it too.

pic?
why not give jobst a hand -
MA-2s aren't my bag.

bironi
05-15-2006, 09:43 AM
Or watch your hiney! :beer: :beer:

I got sucked into the hype for anatomic bars a few years back, but now am removing them one by one with classic bar bend. They just look so much better, and fit my riding style fine.

Grant McLean
05-15-2006, 10:30 AM
that is/was the problem.
the h'bar "industry" is dependent on oem sales, and aftermarket
sales are a blip that they'd neglect at the drop of a dime. when
something you like seemingly is about to disappear for no
apparent reason, you can vote with your dollars and/or go howard
beale on someone's hiney. classic h'bars were all but nonexistant
on importer's sku lists 5-7 years ago and it got under my skin when
i heard the reasons they were not imported and mebbe soon no longer
to be made. i went medieval a 'la wierd al on some of my suppliers and,
fortunately, i can now get what i want, what i use, and what are on
nearly everybody's rig 'ceptin caruso's.

Richard-san,

If you could just get your own China OEM production up to 20-30,000 frames
per quarter, that'd solve the problem too.

-g

e-RICHIE
05-15-2006, 10:32 AM
Richard-san,

If you could just get your own China OEM production up to 20-30,000 frames
per quarter, that'd solve the problem too.

-g

other message board members have the factories all tied up atmo.

93legendti
05-15-2006, 02:06 PM
. . . this thing with bars. I mean, what difference does it make? ... I've seen the same thing with saddles . . . Use whatever feels best. Long live the free market and the selection it offers.

BBD

Exactly.

Serpico
05-15-2006, 02:37 PM
these (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=207581#post207581) are nice, and silver :cool:

Serpico
05-15-2006, 03:07 PM

BBD

http://www.insomniainteractive.com/images/full/soapbox.jpg

http://chuckbrown.com/media/soapbox.jpg

vaxn8r
05-15-2006, 03:34 PM
I like the Deda 215 anatomics. The bend is very subtle and it works for me. Though I never had a problem with curvy drops. I just found that nobody sold them anymore and then I found the 215's.

Some of those anatomics look mp. Hope they at least work better than they look.

jerk
05-15-2006, 03:43 PM
gay bars....n. 1. bicycle handlebars currently en vogue for cyclists who insist on never riding in the drops. 2. a product managers wet dream 3. primary cause for the decline of campy pointed hoods. derivation: handlebars the jerk wouldn't ride to the gay bar; hence referred to as "gay bars".

jerk
05-15-2006, 03:43 PM
. . .

BBD

yes.

jerk

William
05-15-2006, 03:50 PM
yes.

jerk

I bet you named your dog Stay.

William ;)

Dr. Doofus
05-15-2006, 06:35 PM
gay bars....n. 1. bicycle handlebars currently en vogue for cyclists who insist on never riding in the drops. 2. a product managers wet dream 3. primary cause for the decline of campy pointed hoods. derivation: handlebars the jerk wouldn't ride to the gay bar; hence referred to as "gay bars".

4. things that only give 3 hand positions. 5. things against which you will bang your wrists in a sprint. 6. primarily loved by those who a) don't know better; b) never crack 24mph under their own power.