PDA

View Full Version : Looking for part for kid's bike

tuxbailey
09-16-2015, 07:59 AM
I have been searching and searching and I just don't seem to have luck in finding this part. Perhaps my search terms are not correct or I don't know the correct part name.

I got a used 24" Giant Boulder Jr. for my daughter from one of my neighbors. Bike is like almost new and just needed some minor parts replacement and adjustment.

However after a while the rash guard[sic?] for the chain ring has cracked and to replace it. The bike is 1x7 with a 38T and it has uses a 5-bolt pattern. the rash guard is one those translucent plastic type. When I search I don't seem to be able to find the right size one and most are race face type for mountain bikes.

I was wondering if anyone know when I might find a replacement.

Bike in question:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/boulder.jr.w/8919/48642/

Thanks in advance.

EricEstlund
09-16-2015, 08:07 AM
That part is typically riveted (sometimes screwed or bolted) to basic cranks and not available as an aftermarket product.

If yours is damaged, it may be worth just removing it entirely. You could potentially sub in a new full length chain guard. Replacing the entire crank set should be fairly inexpensive- that's not a high dollar part.

tuxbailey
09-16-2015, 08:13 AM
That part is typically riveted (sometimes screwed or bolted) to basic cranks and not available as an aftermarket product.

If yours is damaged, it may be worth just removing it entirely. You could potentially sub in a new full length chain guard. Replacing the entire crank set should be fairly inexpensive- that's not a high dollar part.

Thanks for the reply.

The one on this bike is actually a 2-piece sandwiching the chain ring with screws. that is why I thought it was replaceable.

If a replacement cannot be found...well it is time for her experience the rite of passage known as chain-ring tattoo.

EricEstlund
09-16-2015, 08:15 AM
It's possible a shop might have them (or can get on from Giant), but it's non standard (the bolt pattern). Either way, those cranks are generally not much more- $30 +/- last time I dealt with one.

erslah
09-16-2015, 08:47 AM
The plastic guard on my son's Hot Rock cracked as well. I thought about Krazy-Gluing it, but I ended up just removing it and he's had no issues. Not directly analogous to your situation, though, because his is a triple and he's almost never in the big ring, so the chain doesn't drop, which I assume is the main point of that thing. Shaved a couple of grams off that heavy beast as well 😁

christian
09-16-2015, 10:58 AM
I just moved my kid to a 1x10 with a narrow-wide chainring and a clutch d駻ailleur when he cracked his. This on a 20" mtb. He gets some chain streaks on his leg but not bad really.