PDA

View Full Version : Road Crankset on Mountain bike frame?

weehastogopee
09-15-2015, 06:45 PM
I have an old 90s GT Corrado mountain bike frame that I'm trying to build up with parts I have sitting around...which are mostly road bike parts.

I believe threaded mountain bike bb shells are 73 mm wide, and road bike bbs are 68 mm wide, but is there any way to get a gxp road crank to work on a mountain bike?

weehastogopee
09-15-2015, 06:47 PM
It seems that this amazing thing has a sram force crank.

http://www.cycleexif.com/f-moser-motard

did mountain bikes in the 80s have the 68 mm bb shells?

kramnnim
09-15-2015, 07:01 PM
A lot of them had 68mm shells. Just have to make sure the cranks don't hit the chainstays and you should be fine...

Mikej
09-15-2015, 07:25 PM
Ain't gonna happen....

LouDeeter
09-16-2015, 05:44 AM
If you use a square end bottom bracket and crankset, then as long as you use the proper length bb, the crankset should clear your stays. If it does, you are fine. Regarding width of bb, just measure it. Then, use the appropriate length bb, either 68, 70, or 73, whatever you come up with. If you are trying to use a modern crank with the bb axle built into the crankset, then you will be limited to using the crankset on a frame with either 68 or 70 width. Then, just make sure your chainrings clear the chain stay and you are home free. Since you are trying to use a gxp crank, I think you are hosed. But, don't fear, you can find cheap cranksets and bbs to fit. In fact, I have a cheap crankset, I believe a triple and possible a bb to go with it that I will ship for just a bit more than shipping, to pay for my gas to the post office. Confirm the width of the bb if you want mine and I'll check to see what I have.

ultraman6970
09-16-2015, 06:20 AM
Ive done it... 73 shell, what i had to do is to put a spacer in the driver side cup, the other thing is that I used a 102 BB sealed, those dont use a lock ring, the nds cup went flushed against the BB shell.

You need to check the clearances because probably you will need a longer axle, but all depends of the combos you want to use.

seanile
09-16-2015, 08:15 AM
my 94 gt karakoram doesnt have a crimped chainstay so i can't use larger than a 40t on a 104bcd crank. otherwise the spider arms on the crank will hit, or the chainring's teeth will hit. it also has a 73mm bb.

weehastogopee
09-16-2015, 03:44 PM
Thanks for all the help! I think I will try to go with a square taper option...I'll message you LouDeeter.