PDA

View Full Version : Sunflower Revolution III

Bruce K
05-14-2006, 07:32 PM
The Sunflower Revolution Ride is the 2nd weekend of OCtober in Cincinatti, OH.

The event's home page is up and running and on-line registration is available.

This event requires some fundraising and it all goes to the Davis Phinney Foundation which supports research vs Parkinson's Disease.

I think it would be really great if a large contingent of forumites could come out and support the event.

Last year Ben Serotta joined Davis Phinney, Connie Carpenter, Wayne Stetina, Phil Liggett, and our own Kathy Krumme (Oakley Cycles) for a great weekend of fun events and riding.

Please support the DPF even if you can't come to this great event.

BK

H.Frank Beshear
05-14-2006, 09:30 PM
a better link (http://www.sunflowerrev.org/) Bruce. I'll have to see what my late summer brings. Frank

Bruce K
05-14-2006, 11:18 PM
That would be the one.

Thanks, Frank.

BK

Bruce K
08-10-2006, 03:09 PM
BIG BUMP.

OK gang we are 2 months away from the Sunflower Revolution.

Who is planning to try and make this great event?

I am definitely going and so is RABikes2. Ihave heard that Ginger is going to try and get there.

Who of our local forumites will be in attendance besides Kathy K?

Hopefully we can have a big turnout of forumites and maybe get a ride organized for Saturday if Oakley Cycles doesn't do something again.

BK

Bruce K
08-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Another bump.

I am hoping to hear from spinsistah and some of the locals to see if we can organize a Saturday ride.

While Oakley Cycles is not doing anything "official" Kathy Krumme has said we can use it as a rendevouz point for a ride.

This is a great event for a great cause.

if we get enough folks I think we an have a Forum Table at the Friday night Gala.

So who's in?

BK

Cinci Jim
08-23-2006, 09:39 PM
I live about a mile from Oakley, so that makes me a local. Any other locals want to step up. The Crazy 8s ride takes off from Oakley's parking lot on Saturday mornings. Or we can head off into Indian Hill and the surrounding area for a fun rolling ride with a couple of little hills (it is Ohio after all!)

Any other locals wanting to help out?

mwos
08-24-2006, 10:56 PM
Not a local anymore, but how about joining the Cinti Cycle Club breakfast ride? It's a great route, well marked and I'm sure Jim G. would love to show off the area to visitors.

Plus, you get to have breakfast and meet a great group of locals.

Kathi

Bruce K
08-25-2006, 07:58 AM
Jim;

Some of us out-of-towners will be attending the Friday night Gala. Last year the festivities ran fairly late. :beer:

The early club ride sounds nice, but on short sleep and with a slight hang-over...... :confused:

We can work out the details as we get a little closer, but a ride with as many forumites as possible for a couple of hours would be fun.

I can't believe we are just 7 weeks away. I know RABikes2 wishes it was this week. :D

BK

RABikes2
08-25-2006, 11:17 AM
Jim;

Some of us out-of-towners will be attending the Friday night Gala. Last year the festivities ran fairly late. :beer:

The early club ride sounds nice, but on short sleep and with a slight hang-over...... :confused:

We can work out the details as we get a little closer, but a ride with as many forumites as possible for a couple of hours would be fun.

I can't believe we are just 7 weeks away. I know RABikes2 wishes it was this week. :D

BK

What time does this breakfast ride start and where? ...you know, just in case. :p No, I am being patient, Bruce, as there are times where it's the anticipation and planning leading up to something big that can be just as much fun. (I've waited for this since 2004 :D ) Ahh crap, YES, I'M EXCITED! :banana: :banana:
Patiently waiting RA
You and Nancy are the best ;) .

Spinsistah
08-25-2006, 12:47 PM
I don't know whether or not I can ride, I'll be off my bike 6-8 weeks following surgery, but I will gladly help organize a ride for that Saturday. I actually thought about this a couple of months ago when I discovered there would not be an organized ride from Oakley this year. There are several local rides that happen every Saturday, as Jim said, the Crazy-8's ride out of Oakley, which is fast, in the 20's, and I believe they stop at a UDF for refueling.

The Saturday morning breakfast ride is an excellent ride. It leaves from Goshen, OH, maybe 10-15 miles east of Oakley. It's 42 miles, safe, low traffic, flat to slightly rolling roads. We stop midway at a little restaurant in Blanchester for what most claim are the best pancakes you'll ever eat. Jim Graessle and Irvin Lewin, who organize this ride for the Cincinnati Cycle Club, have marked the route with "B's" so you can't get lost. There are several different speed groups to accommodate all riders. If you decide pancakes aren't for you, there is an express group that rides through, stopping at the UDF in Blanchester for drinks. It would be so cool if Ben, Phil, Davis, Connie and the other "celebrities" would join our group for this ride. Plus there are a ton of people that own Serottas that do this ride on a regular basis!

Bruce K
08-25-2006, 01:30 PM
What, RA & I are not celebrities? :eek:

I am so hurt. :cool:

That second one might work.

Let's keep this idea moving forward.

BTW, sorry to hear you are having surgery. Hopefully it's minor.

But you'll be at the Gala, right?

BK

hypnos
08-25-2006, 08:36 PM
This sounds like a nice weekend. I just have to get motivated to make the drive.

mwos
08-25-2006, 11:49 PM
This sounds like a nice weekend. I just have to get motivated to make the drive.

You can't miss the local favorites of Skyline Chili, Graeters Ice Cream and Montegomery Ribs. :)

hypnos
08-26-2006, 12:03 PM
You can't miss the local favorites of Skyline Chili, Graeters Ice Cream and Montegomery Ribs. :)

Very tempting indeed. If there is a large number of Forumites who will be riding Saturday and Sunday, I may make the trip.

Spinsistah
08-26-2006, 12:19 PM
What, RA & I are not celebrities? :eek:

I am so hurt. :cool:

That second one might work.

Let's keep this idea moving forward.

BTW, sorry to hear you are having surgery. Hopefully it's minor.

But you'll be at the Gala, right?

BK
OF COURSE YOU'RE CELEBRITIES, WHAT WAS I THINKING??

We should be at the gala given everything goes well.

Spinsistah
08-26-2006, 12:20 PM
Of the three, Graeter's is the only one with redeeming value. The chili is thin and runny, the ribs okay. But that's only my opinion!

Bruce K
08-26-2006, 03:22 PM
Then you better find us some GOOD ribs!! ;)

Jeff, I am hoping that H. Frank, Pete (with Spokes in tow) and maybe Tom will be making it to the weekend. It is a worthwhile event and the fundraising minimum is pretty reasonable.

The more the merrier!

BK

Cinci Jim
08-26-2006, 04:08 PM

But what about the goetta? For BBQ it has to be BBQ Review in Madisonville.

mwos
08-26-2006, 04:30 PM
Bob Hope used to fly to Cincy just for Montgomery Inn Ribs.

Goetta? I guess the Irish in me keeps me from liking Goetta.

I like the Sartoga Chips they serve at Montgomery Inn.

RABikes2
08-28-2006, 08:59 AM
Hey Bruce,

Since we are only a little over 6 weeks out from the Sunflower weekend, do you think it's time to open this topic up over on the discussion board? Maybe we can find a few more interested in the gala and/or the Sunday ride :) and we then can try to get a "Serotta" group ride organized for early Saturday, maybe Ben, Kathy, and whoever would also like to join in? Just a thought as I haven't made it to any of the gatherings since 2004 and it would be great to see (and meet) 'old friends'! :banana:
RA

Bruce K
08-28-2006, 10:26 AM
RA;

I think we're doing OK here, but feel free.

Those of us who attend the gala just might have to get up a little early and make the breakfast ride out of Oakley.

We've got some time to sort it all out.

Deep breaths kiddo, deep breaths.... :D ;)

BK