PDA

View Full Version : Price/Value of silver Campy Record Hubset vs Campy Record Hubset as part of wheelset

SlackMan
09-15-2015, 05:32 PM
A post in the Classifieds here has me wondering: Are silver Campy Record hubsets more valuable (i.e., sell for higher prices) if they are not laced to rims as part of a wheelset?

On its face, this seems like a silly question because hubs built into wheelset would seem obviously to be more valuable than hubs by themselves. But, I did some poking around and it appears that on eBay, silver Campy Record hubsets sometimes (maybe 'often' is too strong?) sell for more than silver Campy record hubsets that are part of wheelsets? Was that just an unusual set of transactions, or is this generally true?

rwsaunders
09-15-2015, 06:09 PM
Silver Campag skewers recently started trading on the NASDAQ, so sell the wheels and hold the skewers. Rumor has it that they also might be replacing the Brazilian Real on the list of world currencies.

paredown
09-15-2015, 06:09 PM
I've noticed the same thing--I thought it might be partly the fact that shipping wheels is fairly expensive, so if the built set are not exactly what you want, maybe people make the calculation that they'd rather get the hubs shipped (relatively cheaply) and then build to order locally?

Or related to this, people are less likely to trust the seller's assurances that the wheels are true and ready to ride--you are in effect buying a "system" rather than a component, where there is a higher probability that some part of the wheel is defective.

christian
09-15-2015, 06:38 PM
It's bizarre but true.

don compton
09-15-2015, 09:33 PM
Disclaimer, I am over the Campy "thing".
Okay, I have had several hand built wheel sets with Campy hubs. The hubs were awesome in terms of longevity. But the replacement parts where very expensive.
I bought my second Rivendell Roadeo and equipped with a Shimano Ultegra 11sp group that I paid $608 delivered to my door. The group set is flawless and I can use Campy compatible hubs with my preferred 12-29 Campy cassette combo.
For me, the bottom line is that all the new stuff is so good, that the value in Campy hubs and whatever is strictly a nostalgia type mentality. Basically, the top three levels of Shimano and Campy are really high quality.
Whether you have Campy or Shimano is strictly a coffee shop conversation piece.
None of those groups will hold you back on performance.

R3awak3n
09-15-2015, 09:57 PM
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

Campagnolo is still the best

:$

tbike4
09-15-2015, 10:18 PM
I've noticed the same thing--I thought it might be partly the fact that shipping wheels is fairly expensive, so if the built set are not exactly what you want, maybe people make the calculation that they'd rather get the hubs shipped (relatively cheaply) and then build to order locally

Indeed. I bought some silver Record 10 speed hubs about 4 years ago, super clean and a little over 3 bills so a good price me thinks. I built them with some VO shiny box rims for a classic look to go on a nice steel frame.

Time to sell them and not too many folks want that hub/rim combo. In this case the hubs probably would have sold for more than the wheel set.

cmg
09-15-2015, 10:40 PM
yes they are........... shiny campy hubs, chorus, record with smooth bearings rarely lose money. buy them cheap dismantle the wheel-sets, sell the rims, skewers, and lock rings separate from the hubs. they're indestructible.

oldpotatoe
09-16-2015, 06:49 AM
Disclaimer, I am over the Campy "thing".
Okay, I have had several hand built wheel sets with Campy hubs. The hubs were awesome in terms of longevity. But the replacement parts where very expensive.
I bought my second Rivendell Roadeo and equipped with a Shimano Ultegra 11sp group that I paid $608 delivered to my door. The group set is flawless and I can use Campy compatible hubs with my preferred 12-29 Campy cassette combo.
For me, the bottom line is that all the new stuff is so good, that the value in Campy hubs and whatever is strictly a nostalgia type mentality. Basically, the top three levels of Shimano and Campy are really high quality.
Whether you have Campy or Shimano is strictly a coffee shop conversation piece.
None of those groups will hold you back on performance.

NEW 9000 hubs, even with a ti FH body are GD expensive..more than even NOS 28h Silver Record hubs. Like in the DT240 range, WI, CK range.

PLUS replacement parts for 9000 hubs, like the axle/cone 'assembly' is outrageou$..so in the spirit of objectivity, Not only Record hubs have expensive parts. AND, altho cheaper, the axle/cone assembly for 6800 ain't cheap either, even if you can find one..about 1/2 the $ of a 6800 hubSET.

so....and while I think about it..most of the innards of black Record hubs are compatible with all the older, Record/Chorus/Centaur aluminum axle hubs..how much of 9000/6800/5800 hubs are compatible with 7900/7850/7810/7800/6700/5700/7700/6600/6500/5600, blah, hubs.......NADA. shimano, every time they make a new hub, nothing is compatible with anything else...it makes...sense to them, I guess.

I am kinda hoarding Record/Chorus/Centaur hubs..both black and silver..cuz I'm not over the Campag thing..;)

velomonkey
09-16-2015, 07:14 AM
Having had shimano hubs, DT Swiss hubs, Chris King Hubs, Mavic hubs and Black Campy Record hubs I can say that the silver Campy Record hubs were the pinnacle in terms of design, looks and function.

Not many bike parts are gonna increase in value - silver record hubs will.

There was recently a NIB silver record 28 hole rear hub on Ebay - it was like spotting a dodo bird.

oldpotatoe
09-16-2015, 07:26 AM
Having had shimano hubs, DT Swiss hubs, Chris King Hubs, Mavic hubs and Black Campy Record hubs I can say that the silver Campy Record hubs were the pinnacle in terms of design, looks and function.

Not many bike parts are gonna increase in value - silver record hubs will.

There was recently a NIB silver record 28 hole rear hub on Ebay - it was like spotting a dodo bird.

28/32 even rarer in the NOS/NIB form..

SlackMan
09-16-2015, 08:16 AM
Thanks for all the comments! The info will be useful in making a decision on which wheelset to keep. I have one with DA 9000 hubs and one with silver Campy Record hubs, so the exchange between Don and Old Potatoe was very useful too.

The differences in pricing across hubs vs hubs built up was wheels is still a puzzle to me. One can ship a wheelset through Bike Flights for about $20. It's not a LOT cheaper to ship just the hubset. If I had the time, I would go buy up all of the wheelsets with silver Record hubs, disassemble them, and then sell the hubs for a profit.

velomonkey
09-16-2015, 09:41 AM
28/32 even rarer in the NOS/NIB form..

And here is the hub in question (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-Hub-Record-Rear-28H-9-10-11-Speed-130Mm-W-Skewer-Alloy-Freehub-NOS-/271925739473?hash=item3f50097fd1) - ends today. It's $500 and some odd dollars which is a bit steep. It's NIB and I gotta say, I'd take this over a 28 hole King R45 any day and every day.

Jaq
09-16-2015, 12:20 PM
It's about potential; you can do more with unlaced hubs than you can with laced hubs.

But Fleabay is hardly a yardstick of "current pricing."

600 bucks for a 28h silver Campy rear? There's another NOS 28h going for 400 bucks. A quick search turns up a 28h in great shape that sold for a "best offer" somewhere south of its asking price of 320 bucks.

According to the site, the guy in Oregon selling the 600 dollar hub supposedly sold one in July for 690 bucks.... Unless this is the same hub, and that previous sale didn't actually happen, which seems to happen all the time on Ebay.

Meanwhile, the hubs here are purty enough, but just last June, a set of 32h Records sold after the price was dropped to 400 bucks. And they were NOS, with the proper skewers.

About a year ago, Rain Dogs offered up a 28h rear, sans skewer, for 225, and offered to toss in shipping if the buyer had more posts than him at the time. An appeal to "keep it in the family," so to speak, and a thoroughly decent move, IMHO.

thirdgenbird
09-16-2015, 12:32 PM
My NOS 28h hubs from a few years back look like a smart buy now.

It also appears in being too kind to Mark on a set of 32h record hubs :eek:

oldpotatoe
09-17-2015, 07:36 AM
It's about potential; you can do more with unlaced hubs than you can with laced hubs.

But Fleabay is hardly a yardstick of "current pricing."

600 bucks for a 28h silver Campy rear? There's another NOS 28h going for 400 bucks. A quick search turns up a 28h in great shape that sold for a "best offer" somewhere south of its asking price of 320 bucks.

According to the site, the guy in Oregon selling the 600 dollar hub supposedly sold one in July for 690 bucks.... Unless this is the same hub, and that previous sale didn't actually happen, which seems to happen all the time on Ebay.

Meanwhile, the hubs here are purty enough, but just last June, a set of 32h Records sold after the price was dropped to 400 bucks. And they were NOS, with the proper skewers.

About a year ago, Rain Dogs offered up a 28h rear, sans skewer, for 225, and offered to toss in shipping if the buyer had more posts than him at the time. An appeal to "keep it in the family," so to speak, and a thoroughly decent move, IMHO.

PB*bikes is known as a way overpriced ebay reseller of Campag stuff. But as they say, 'whatever the market will bear'...