PDA

View Full Version : OT: NFL home opener - on the field to unfurl the flag

pdmtong
09-15-2015, 04:40 PM
First things first. The Raiders absolutely suck. Worst in the league. Two weeks ago I was hoping for 7-9. Now I hope for 3-13

But I was born on Oakland and have bled silver and black my whole life. From the Madden era. To the LA Flores era. To rich Gannon throwing five touchdowns in the last super bowl appearance. Only they were thrown to the other team.

One tuck rule away from probably two more Lombardi's. Instead the zebras made the local kid famous

Last Sunday I got invited to carry the flag onto the field and unfurl it. You cannot imagine what it is like to see and hear the fans from field level during player intro and then the anthem. Walking out of the side tunnel was very Russell crowe-ish. Are you not entertained?

I'm circled red on the home 40 standing feet away from Carr Woodson Seabass Tuck. Then the flyover. That roar my friends is the sound of freedom

At halftime madden and some old greats honored stabler.

NFL said no cameras. In some ways maybe better. I spent more time soaking it with my eyes ears and brain than fumbling with my phone or a point and shoot

I was once on the field at candlestick. What is immediately obvious is just how big it is and how small you are. And how hard it must be to be running away from 6'5" 300# guys looking down field at the post and trying to make that throw across your body.

The flag was the highlight of what turned out to be a complete disaster of an opener.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/15/deb327ebe13bb731b0a5af15094e7c73.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/15/6b89f55cbc5abf7730758c3bfd47c006.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/15/0849c4d048d98a7c974089fa9acf8304.jpg

tiretrax
09-15-2015, 04:50 PM
Don't try to sell us on how authentic of a fan your are. Who's jersey were you wearing?

I agree about how small one is on the field. I presented an award in between quarters at a UT game. It was amazing to be in front of 80,000 people (including 30,000 drunk students).

makoti
09-15-2015, 05:22 PM
Congratulations! That had to be a huge thrill. Nice to see another AFL guy around. Great league, great teams. Sadly, though, we will never be able to speak again.

Signed,
Chiefs fan (still pissed at Davidson for spearing Dawson)

pdmtong
09-15-2015, 05:33 PM
Don't try to sell us on how authentic of a fan your are. Who's jersey were you wearing?

I must be a throwback - have never owned a jersey. I guess if I did it would be 12, 16, or 34. I dunno.

Congratulations! That had to be a huge thrill. Nice to see another AFL guy around. Great league, great teams. Sadly, though, we will never be able to speak again. Signed, Chiefs fan (still pissed at Davidson for spearing Dawson)

I did have an Otis Taylor poster. Does that help? Davidson came to my school once to give a talk. I had never sen anyone that big in my life. He sat down and the folding chair collapsed. Funny how things like that make an impression on a kid. Podolak, Buchanan, Jan. Raiders-Chiefs was as big as it got back then. .

brockd15
09-15-2015, 05:40 PM
That's a big flag.

makoti
09-15-2015, 06:01 PM
I did have an Otis Taylor poster. Does that help? Davidson came to my school once to give a talk. I had never sen anyone that big in my life. He sat down and the folding chair collapsed. Funny how things like that make an impression on a kid. Podolak, Buchanan, Jan. Raiders-Chiefs was as big as it got back then. .

Yep, we're good then. The only reason I hated (nothing personal) the Raiders so much back then was they were ALWAYS in the Chiefs way. Had to get past the Raiders. Those were great, great games. I miss Al & Lamar. What a league.
Funny thing about how big Davidson was (and he was a beast) is that in todays game, he'd be undersized.

pdmtong
09-15-2015, 06:06 PM
Yep, we're good then. The only reason I hated (nothing personal) the Raiders so much back then was they were ALWAYS in the Chiefs way. Had to get past the Raiders. Those were great, great games. I miss Al & Lamar. What a league. Funny thing about how big Davidson was (and he was a beast) is that in todays game, he'd be undersized.

And the steelers were always in the raiders way. Every SB the steelers went to the raiders lost the AFC title game to them (or it seemed like that), Can you imagine seeing the immaculate reception live on a 20" balck and white and having your world destroyed (insert image of little kid pounding the floor with fist).

Those were the days. Joe Rudi who played LF for the A's in the three WS lived a few blocks away from me in a normal 3/2 house. That would never happen today.

beeatnik
09-15-2015, 06:22 PM
One tuck rule away from probably two more Lombardi's. Instead the zebras made the local kid famous

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/15/deb327ebe13bb731b0a5af15094e7c73.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/15/6b89f55cbc5abf7730758c3bfd47c006.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/15/0849c4d048d98a7c974089fa9acf8304.jpg

Only a Raider fan would understand. But had it not been for that game, there would be no Patriot dynasty. Imagine hearing the call, driving through Oakland (couldn't watch the game since we were on a family visit to Cal).

chuckroast
09-15-2015, 07:07 PM
I must be a throwback - have never owned a jersey. I guess if I did it would be 12, 16, or 34. I dunno.

I worked with Jan Stenerud for a while back in the 80's and 90's and, even as an ex kicker, that guy was big.

Elefantino
09-15-2015, 07:52 PM
I played for the Oakland Junior Raiders one year. Pete Banaszak spoke at our banquet.

93legendti
09-15-2015, 08:22 PM
Very cool. How did you get chosen for the honor?

pdmtong
09-15-2015, 08:26 PM
Very cool. How did you get chosen for the honor?

It was a season ticket holder perk. My dad and I gave ours up once they decided to jam us for a five-figure Personal Seat License renewal but one of my closest friends still has his.

93legendti
09-15-2015, 08:42 PM
It was a season ticket holder perk. My dad and I gave ours up once they decided to jam us for a five-figure Personal Seat License renewal but one of my closest friends still has his.

Nice perk.

makoti
09-15-2015, 09:04 PM
Can you imagine seeing the immaculate reception live on a 20" balck and white and having your world destroyed (insert image of little kid pounding the floor with fist).

Yes. Longest game ever. Christmas day. Ruined. Stinking Dolphins. At least they don't replay the game every time anything freaky happens like they do with that play. I feel ya, bro.

Jeff N.
09-15-2015, 10:28 PM
" Last year a fan at a Vikings game had a gun that went off in his pocket! Nobody was hurt, thank goodness, but if that'd happened at a Raider game, he would've had 50,000 fans return fire!"- Jay Leno

gary135r
09-15-2015, 10:49 PM

One helmet catch away from a perfect season. That's what makes sports so compelling no matter how much we rail against pro athletes.

JAllen
09-15-2015, 11:14 PM
Raiders for life! Through thick and thin we will rise again!

I don't know that been so heartbroken since that last SB. I threw a palm sized rock about 50 yards and nailed the neighbor's house.

Tuck rule....:mad:

93legendti
09-15-2015, 11:38 PM
Loved the Raiders in the 70's- Biletnikoff, Hubbard, Stabler, The Stork, Madden...real characters

pdmtong
09-16-2015, 12:08 AM
One helmet catch away from a perfect season. That's what makes sports so compelling no matter how much we rail against pro athletes.

it goes both way. 0.5 seconds more and the zebras say Eli was in the grasp. dead ball.

frankly, I had a big a$$ smile on my face when I saw that happen. plus, IMHO, no way the pats should have won against the rams or the panthers either.
but, they did. the ball can bounce either way. life.

fwiw i think deflategate was a witch hunt.