PDA

View Full Version : Bicyclist hit by boat (trailered).

djg21
09-15-2015, 02:57 PM
The accident happened when SUV driver Michael Khimil, 42, of Staten Island, switched lanes from the right to the center on Hylan Boulevard, heading north. The boat became detached and slammed into the two bike riders, police sources said.

http://nypost.com/2015/09/15/i-will-always-love-you-cyclist-killed-by-boat-mourned-by-boyfriend/

This always worries me on some of the roads around the lakes by me.

Anarchist
09-15-2015, 03:40 PM
Guy driving down the road with a boat trailer and no safety chains? Not making sure the hitch is properly fastened?

Outright negligence.

saf-t
09-15-2015, 06:30 PM
Guy driving down the road with a boat trailer and no safety chains? Not making sure the hitch is properly fastened?

Outright negligence.

This. I never move without both chains and either a hitch latch or lock.

bcroslin
09-15-2015, 06:44 PM
This happens not infrequently in my neck of the woods due to the high number of boat ownership in FL. A guy who occasionally rides with us got run over by a jet ski trailer 6 months ago. He lives a little out on the margins so when the driver offered him $500 to not call the cops he gladly took it.

The same thing also happened to former pro golfer and golf channel commentator David Feherty 5 years ago in Dallas. Feherty is an avid cyclist with terrible insomnia and he used to wake up at 3 am and go 50 mile rides. I photographed him a few years ago and he told me early one morning he was out on a ride by himself and he got passed by a van hauling a trailer and the trailer ran him over and dragged him for some distance. He said the driver told him he saw him (blinky lights front an back) but forgot he was towing a trailer. The trailer nearly severed his arm and he has terrible nerve pain to this day. He said it was so bad at one point his doctor suggested amputation. I asked him if was upset he couldn't play golf anymore and he told he could care less about golf it was cycling he missed the most.

EDIT: OMG I just realized the trailer came unhitched?! That's negligence. Wow, just wow.

AJosiahK
09-15-2015, 08:03 PM
Scary stuff!

Jgrooms
09-15-2015, 09:24 PM
Another add to the complete lack of common sense on the roads. Too lazy or too stupid to have trailer properly hitched & then chained.

carl
09-16-2015, 06:26 AM
If the person driving doesn't even realize because they obviously arent even paying attention I guess this could turn pretty bad!

Jake January
09-16-2015, 07:51 AM
Very very sad.....should anyone be saying "manslaughter "?

smontanaro
09-16-2015, 10:52 AM
Here in Chicagoland, landscaping crews are the ones with the dangerous trailers. My old boss got hit by one several months ago. The drivers either don't realize the length of their rig or their width (or both). I got buzzed by a big pickup truck a few months ago. As he passed me, he seemed awfully close, then afterthe truck went by, I realized he was pulling a trailer even wider than the truck! And I was commuting with panniers, so I was wider than normal on the back end. I doubt the trailer missed my left pannier by more than an inch or two. That was a wash-the-underwear moment.

Maybe we should all have trained t-rexes as pets who run along with us when we ride:

http://cbsnews1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2015/06/11/6a7d06ee-a448-4fa2-b121-0c8ec6f8fd6e/resize/620x465/02426073b28aa3878af1330810499310/jurassic-park-mirror.jpg

djg21
09-16-2015, 10:53 AM
Very very sad.....should anyone be saying "manslaughter "?

Probably not. The facts aren't in, and you cannot trust the NY Post to report in anything but the most sensational manner possible. But this smacks of negligence, not gross negligence or reckless disregard. Again, we aren't privy to all of the facts here.

Aaron O
09-16-2015, 10:59 AM
I remember driving a u-haul many years back (something I'll NEVER do again); for someone not used to driving a truck, it's very challenging. I remember how difficult it was for me and I assume it is for anyone else too...I stay away from uhauls and trailers when I can.

Another danger like this are the trucks with side racks that carry things like windows which can jut out. It's very hard to understand your space with these things...I always try and stay the heck away. I had a friend who drove one and he assured me the drivers hit stuff all the time.