PDA

View Full Version : Fizik/Giro Sizing Help

pgrizzwald
09-15-2015, 11:33 AM
Hey all,

Thinking about giving the Fizik R3 Boas a shot and am wondering what your experiences are with sizing. I wear a 43.5 in Giro Prolights and they fit perfect. Not sure if I would need the same size in Fizik or larger? I've seen about 3 different size charts for these shoes and am getting confused. Has anyone worn both brands and can compare? Thanks.

druptight
09-15-2015, 11:54 AM
Hey all,

Thinking about giving the Fizik R3 Boas a shot and am wondering what your experiences are with sizing. I wear a 43.5 in Giro Prolights and they fit perfect. Not sure if I would need the same size in Fizik or larger? I've seen about 3 different size charts for these shoes and am getting confused. Has anyone worn both brands and can compare? Thanks.

I actually wear exactly a 43.5 in Giro and they're my shoe of choice now. I wear Codes for MTB and Factor road shoes both in that size and even have backups on file for when the current ones wear out.

Before I discovered that Giro was the one for me, I had a brief foray with the Fizik R3 shoes (first generation, red). Based on the sizing information I could find at the time, I went with a 42.5. I had 2 problems with them - I think they were possibly a hair short (i.e. should have maybe bought a 43), but the bigger problem for me was that the arch in them was so insanely high it practically caused my feet to cramp. I have average arch height, never have issues with shoe arches - but these things were so high I couldn't wear them. I did hear a rumor that the arches in later models were more average, but never tried them on again.

So all that said, maybe I'm not the best example and it's possible that the 42.5 length was OK for me but the arch issue was so bad it was hard to judge much else about the shoes. I will say that they were stiff as can be.

adhumston
09-15-2015, 12:43 PM
I ride a 42.5 in Giro. Tried Fizik in the same, and slightly too big. 42 would probably be spot on for me in Fizik.

Russian bear
09-15-2015, 01:16 PM
Fizik has since changed the last since the first iteration that druptight is talking about. The arch is more neutral now and the toe box slightly more narrow (about same as Giro I reckon).

This sucks for me because the first version of the fizik shoes fit me like Cinderella's slipper. I'll be holding on to my R1 for a long time.

pgrizzwald
09-15-2015, 08:37 PM
Interesting. So they actually run large for their size, then?

Birddog
09-15-2015, 09:57 PM
I have a pair of the Giro Factor in size 43.5 and I have a pair of the Fizik Uomo in size 43. Both fit well but I currently prefer the Fizik. The arch in the Fizik is weird in that it hits me behind the arch (toward the heel), but it really doesn't bother me once I'm riding. I measure out as a 10 B on the Brannock device, but I usually buy 9.5 size shoes in medium width. Nice dress shoes, I go with the 10B.

buckfifty
09-15-2015, 10:11 PM
I have the fizik r3 boa and the giro empire in 43.5. Both feel about the same. Mavic zxellium in 43.5 feels slimmer and snug compared to these two

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

fishwhisperer
09-16-2015, 10:39 AM
i wear a 41.5 in my r1s (first gen, with the sailcloth straps) and the same in my giro vr90s. empires do feel just a touch longer, but since they're my off road shoes i'm wearing thicker socks anyway.

pgrizzwald
09-18-2015, 02:07 PM
thanks everyone