PDA

View Full Version : Torque values

SayHey
05-14-2006, 02:35 PM
Anyone know a good source for torque values for various bike parts? I'm looking for a good value for the seat collar now, but occasionally need other values as well. Sources?

raven
05-14-2006, 02:47 PM
Try Parktool.com

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=54

SayHey
05-14-2006, 03:32 PM
Thanks -- that's what I'm looking for. Interesting to note it gives a specific seat post binder torque value for Campy (30 - 60 in-lbs) but for Shimano simply says "minimal tightening".

Too Tall
05-15-2006, 06:57 AM
S.H., That's a great guide and I'd like to add that you should only tighten (esp. small bolts) as much as they need. Yeah that is kinda vague but geeze for instance Deda specs. something like 8 or 9 NM eg > 70 inch lbs for their stem face places...dewd...that's alota clamp on a really cheesey piece of metal....mine are all set to something around 40-45 inch lbs using Zipp Bars...keep in mind this will be diff. for every bar/stem combo.

Torque up to what feels right and test it. Taking these small bits (generally the 4mm bolts and smaller) all the way to full spec. just because that's what the manual says is not 100% right all the time.

PS - did you sign the waiver that says don't take advice from yahoos on the internet??? ;)

zap
05-15-2006, 08:10 AM
snipped

Taking these small bits (generally the 4mm bolts and smaller) all the way to full spec. just because that's what the manual says is not 100% right all the time.

You got that right.

I stripped a thread in a Newton stem I had while bringing it up to spec. But full spec was needed to keep a particular bar in place.

SayHey
05-15-2006, 11:15 AM
Good advice -- I know some of this only comes from experience, and experience can be expensive.