PDA

View Full Version : Super Record Front Derailleur Repair/Spare Part

YesNdeed
09-14-2015, 07:25 PM
A two spoke blowout caused the chain to lock up (There were technicalities. Bad break up), and resulted in the small plastic tab that holds the bottom of the FD cage together to break off. It's a fairly easy repair, but the replaceable part is a whole new cage (Part# FD-SR015) The tab itself doesn't appear in the Campy spare parts catalog, and the cage costs about as much as I would expect to buy a decent, if not unused SRFD from the bay, or elsewhere.

While I'm not too keen on piece mealing any part of the drivetrain with spare stock and epoxy, I'm even less excited about spending a hundo on what would otherwise be spent on some super rad Sh#^! So, I'm open to suggestions, or even better, and this is reaching, if someone has the tab of concern laying around that they've been meaning to sell. Send me a PM, if you do!

Siporfavorgraciasbueno.

Idris Icabod
09-14-2015, 07:36 PM
Mine broke in exactly the same spot. I think you need an entire new cage, the bit on the end wasn't sold separately I was told at least. New cage was $150 but I found the entire super record FD new online for $100 shipped. Mine was the generation with the white lettering too, so replacement was NOS.

lhuerta
09-14-2015, 09:47 PM
...mine broke after about 10K miles.

Simply buy a Chorus frt der for a third of the cost of SR and swap the full cage (essentially converting your SR into a limited edition RS der). The alloy cage will add a smidgen more weight and a noticeable positive difference in shifting.

mistermo
09-15-2015, 05:03 AM
Mine broke too. I too, was told there's no replacement. I too, went with a new FD.

m_sasso
09-15-2015, 05:11 AM
And this is what it will appear like, I used a Centaur which is a bit less costly then a Chorus. Along with a brief description of the process from my old posting:

"On the SR front derailleur, I purchased a used 11 speed entire unit inexpensively with the customarily beat up carbon/Al. reinforced cage and some slight white logo blemishes, otherwise perfect.

I am not fond of the Campagnolo FD carbon/Al cages, seen way to many of them damaged through routine use. So rather than purchase a replacement cage, I purchased a new Centaur front derailleur for well under the cost of a replacement cage. On wear components I will gladly exchange/accept the minimal weight penalty for reliability.

The SR cage attachment pins and the Centaur cage attachment rivet/pins are the same size 4.0mm and the attachment spacing is almost equal, the slight difference being cage material thickness. Circular SS metric shim is available through McMaster Carr, 4.0mm ID, 8.0mm OD in various thickness starting at 0.1mm, 0.5mm thick, part number 98089A330 if required.

On the Centaur FD I drilled out the cage attachment pin/rivet peened heads, pulled the pins and removed the cage. On the SR FD I popped the C-clips on the cage attachment pins, pulled the pins, removed the cage.

The SR FD reassemble required some wrestling with the springs, pushing the attachment pins through the lined up actuating arms, springs, shims and cage attachment holes, snap the C-clips back on the pins and your done.

Oh, and there was some minor additional dabs of Phil waterproof grease in there also!"

http://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-tech.com-vbulletin/640x680/80-srfront_derailleur_7fcd4df82fd86ab14380d5553c46ea3 5710e63ea.jpg

http://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-tech.com-vbulletin/680x510/80-srfront_derailleur1_63341ce0d95cf2ac49bf2fa3710baf 17e84254c0.jpg

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-15-2015, 05:18 AM
Go even cheaper and get a Veloce FD, iirc it's almost identical in that area as the Centaur. Easily $20 or less, used.

oldpotatoe
09-15-2015, 06:05 AM
Yes, that tab does break..2 suggestions, either find a toasted fder that you can harvest that tab from of get a metal front der, like Chorus, or just get the Chorus cage-metal. It appears that m__sasso above did just that. Altho carbon is keen and all, it's better to have metal on the cage, IMHO

merckx
09-15-2015, 06:51 AM
Bin it and get a Chorus.

YesNdeed
09-15-2015, 11:12 AM
I suppose I like to look down and see that carbon strip, but I've always been in favor of less bling and extra weight in exchange for reliability and cost savings. Just makes sense. I currently have it replaced with an Athena 11 FD from the TT bike. I'm also tempted to swap the cage with a Veloce 10 speed clamp on I have laying around. My guess is that the cage should work fine. I'm also digging around for salvageable Record/SR FD'rs for parts. I think throwing an alloy cage on is the way to go though. Thanks for all the replies and insights.

alistaird
09-22-2016, 12:02 AM
And this is what it will appear like, I used a Centaur which is a bit less costly then a Chorus. Along with a brief description of the process from my old posting:

"On the SR front derailleur, I purchased a used 11 speed entire unit inexpensively with the customarily beat up carbon/Al. reinforced cage and some slight white logo blemishes, otherwise perfect.

I am not fond of the Campagnolo FD carbon/Al cages, seen way to many of them damaged through routine use. So rather than purchase a replacement cage, I purchased a new Centaur front derailleur for well under the cost of a replacement cage. On wear components I will gladly exchange/accept the minimal weight penalty for reliability.

The SR cage attachment pins and the Centaur cage attachment rivet/pins are the same size 4.0mm and the attachment spacing is almost equal, the slight difference being cage material thickness. Circular SS metric shim is available through McMaster Carr, 4.0mm ID, 8.0mm OD in various thickness starting at 0.1mm, 0.5mm thick, part number 98089A330 if required.

On the Centaur FD I drilled out the cage attachment pin/rivet peened heads, pulled the pins and removed the cage. On the SR FD I popped the C-clips on the cage attachment pins, pulled the pins, removed the cage.

The SR FD reassemble required some wrestling with the springs, pushing the attachment pins through the lined up actuating arms, springs, shims and cage attachment holes, snap the C-clips back on the pins and your done.

Oh, and there was some minor additional dabs of Phil waterproof grease in there also!"

Thanks for the insights. I am about to do the same with an SR FD - replace the cage with an Athena one. Cost of new Athena FD - $30 vs cost of new SR Cage $100+....

A

ultraman6970
09-22-2016, 11:33 AM
The beauty of campagnolo. repairable.

alistaird
10-01-2016, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the great post. Just replaced the very thin and chipped SR Carbon cage with the cage (and spring) from a brand new Athena FD which I bought very cheap on the 'bay.

All ready for fitting to my 2005 Colnago E1....

A

Shaggarrific
02-14-2022, 10:44 PM
I see there is no replacement available for the pre-2015 SR front 2x11 derailleur. Some of the websites that sell the 2015 and later "S2" derailleurs say they are only compatible with the 2015 and later components. Is it true that the S2 front derailleur will not work with the pre-2015/non-S2 11 speed ergo levers?

oldpotatoe
02-15-2022, 06:14 AM
I see there is no replacement available for the pre-2015 SR front 2x11 derailleur. Some of the websites that sell the 2015 and later "S2" derailleurs say they are only compatible with the 2015 and later components. Is it true that the S2 front derailleur will not work with the pre-2015/non-S2 11 speed ergo levers?

NOT true..with the very forgiving LH, Ultrashift, ratcheting friction, shifter, ANY front der will work fine..even those 2015+.

BTW.The 'S2' thing is a little tab on the braze on front ders that sits against the seat tube, that makes the fder shifting more precise. Good for some carbon frames where the tab is flexy..

Laifer69
02-15-2022, 07:38 AM
A two spoke blowout caused the chain to lock up (There were technicalities. Bad break up), and resulted in the small plastic tab that holds the bottom of the FD cage together to break off.

There’s a gentleman on the Campagnolo Tech Talk group on Facebook that 3D prints a replacement part. David Jacobs IIRC but he is in Australia. I think some folks in the US have been able to source those from him in the past.

Maybe that’s an option?

Shaggarrific
02-15-2022, 01:01 PM
OK, great. Thanks for the tip!

robt57
02-15-2022, 01:37 PM
BTW.The 'S2' thing is a little tab on the braze on front ders that sits against the seat tube, that makes the fder shifting more precise. Good for some carbon frames where the tab is flexy..

Made me remember, the carbon FD tab on my Scott Addict with Di2 made me nervous how much it moved. So I JB welded some thin plate metal I shaped behind it onto the seat tube to stiffen it up, successful rube.

paredown
02-15-2022, 01:43 PM
Did the same transplant with a cage from a Chorus 10 to Record 10 that I picked up here on the forum already broken.

Anyone know if the 10 speed cage will transplant onto the 11/12 speed variants?

Shaggarrific
02-15-2022, 10:45 PM
NOT true..with the very forgiving LH, Ultrashift, ratcheting friction, shifter, ANY front der will work fine..even those 2015+.

OK, thank you sir. That is very helpful!

dscurt
02-16-2022, 12:59 AM
There’s a gentleman on the Campagnolo Tech Talk group on Facebook that 3D prints a replacement part. David Jacobs IIRC but he is in Australia. I think some folks in the US have been able to source those from him in the past.

Maybe that’s an option?

That's pretty clever, would you happen to know what medium he is printing?

I'm curious to know how his cages hold up over time.

oldpotatoe
02-16-2022, 06:19 AM
Did the same transplant with a cage from a Chorus 10 to Record 10 that I picked up here on the forum already broken.

Anyone know if the 10 speed cage will transplant onto the 11/12 speed variants?

Looking at the parts diagram..2008 10s Chorus and 2009(first year of 11s)Chorus, the diagrams/pictures of the cages looks identical..
10s cage-FD-CH-201
11s cage-FD-CH-301..thru 2014, the 2015 one looks way different.

I think the 11s cage will work.

Laifer69
02-16-2022, 07:33 AM
That's pretty clever, would you happen to know what medium he is printing?

I'm curious to know how his cages hold up over time.

I’m afraid I don’t. Apologies.

dscurt
02-16-2022, 11:01 AM
I’m afraid I don’t. Apologies.

Not at all, thanks for dropping that into the conversation. I'll have to chase that down.

Laifer69
02-16-2022, 06:09 PM
Oh… maybe I could have been clearer. The gentleman in Australia 3D prints the plastic bridge between the inner and outer derailleur cage (the bit on yours which has broken) but the whole cage assembly.

Sorry I can’t add a link or photos. I’m a long time lurker but don’t post often.

binouye
02-16-2022, 06:45 PM
I broke that same part. I decided to wrap some copper wire around the ends, used pliers to mash the wire into the shape I wanted, then put some epoxy over it. I stirred some carbon black into the epoxy when I mixed it (wearing a mask - don't breath carbon black), so you can't spot the repair unless you look close. Still using the repaired FD.

jc031699
02-16-2022, 07:16 PM
I got a couple of these in white, seem to be the right part. Haven’t used them yet although that day is coming. A sharpie will make it black…

https://www.shapeways.com/product/G4MGBBCW3/record08-derailleur?optionId=57549104

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tanghy
02-20-2022, 09:02 PM
this is the part, his name is david jacobs

Oh… maybe I could have been clearer. The gentleman in Australia 3D prints the plastic bridge between the inner and outer derailleur cage (the bit on yours which has broken) but the whole cage assembly.

Sorry I can’t add a link or photos. I’m a long time lurker but don’t post often.

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/127005037_160074955840629_3836877810972943384_n.jp g?stp=dst-jpg_p240x240&_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=fyrSQwAHkJEAX-THzJT&tn=eotNvGaFvENDta0X&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=00_AT9NtaC7U9vBlzrXHADJ7guMjYZwF9ZPK-1ZLZVeYKlEIg&oe=623A5734https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/127005037_160074955840629_3836877810972943384_n.jp g?stp=dst-jpg_p240x240&_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=fyrSQwAHkJEAX-THzJT&tn=eotNvGaFvENDta0X&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=00_AT9NtaC7U9vBlzrXHADJ7guMjYZwF9ZPK-1ZLZVeYKlEIg&oe=623A5734