PDA

View Full Version : Statements from the actors in Armstrong movie "The Program" - oh, the irony

Mark McM
09-14-2015, 05:28 PM
The actor who plays David Walsh in the new Lance Armstrong movie, "The Program," has said that the actor playing Armstrong was "Really Smart" for taking performance enhancing drugs to help him perform the role.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-34241211

Actor Ben Foster was "really smart" to take performance enhancing drugs while filming a biopic of Lance Armstrong, his co-star says

Chris O'Dowd plays Irish journalist David Walsh, who spent 13 years uncovering Armstrong's dependence on steroids, in The Program.

Foster revealed last week he had followed Armstong's doping programme, to better understand the role.

"I think that's a really smart thing and makes sense," O'Dowd told the BBC.

"With something like that you know it's not going to harm you necessarily, and you're going to have to perform so much [while filming]," he said.

OtayBW
09-14-2015, 05:44 PM
New LA movie?
Ick.

nicrump
09-14-2015, 06:56 PM
did the actor playing david walsh take douche pills to better understand the role??

duck

chriscap
09-14-2015, 07:17 PM
The trailer was released a few days ago for those interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXfp859pcM0

Joachim
09-14-2015, 07:19 PM
did the actor playing david walsh take douche pills to better understand the role??

duck

Most likely Lance was his dealer.

mg2ride
09-14-2015, 07:28 PM

Duck

lol!

ultraman6970
09-14-2015, 10:01 PM
What would not surprise me is that this movie will and might have better acting and better plot (eventhought everybody knows it already) than the fantastic 4 movie :D

oldpotatoe
09-15-2015, 06:17 AM
I'll watch it when it's on netflix...

sessl
09-15-2015, 06:48 AM
Great more questions of what we all think of Lance....

ergott
09-15-2015, 07:02 AM
They should do a documentary on this movie about Lance.

Chris
09-15-2015, 07:41 AM

duck

In all seriousness, how does a guy who pursued the truth at great personal/professional consequence at times deserve the moniker of douche?

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-15-2015, 07:45 AM
What would not surprise me is that this movie will and might have better acting and better plot (eventhought everybody knows it already) than the fantastic 4 movie :D

The Penguins of Madagascar movie had better acting in it than that Fantastic (pick any one) garbage.

MattTuck
09-15-2015, 07:50 AM
I read an interview recently with Steven Spielberg. He said that the "Super hero" genre has a lot of similarities to the western genre of yesteryear. He was expecting them to share the same fate.

nicrump
09-15-2015, 07:53 AM
In all seriousness, how does a guy who pursued the truth at great personal/professional consequence at times deserve the moniker of douche?

everyone involved in that saga is a STRONG PASSIONATE personality. douchness all the way around IMO. and all hypocrites.

Nooch
09-15-2015, 08:04 AM
The Penguins of Madagascar movie had better acting in it than that Fantastic garbage.

man, my kids watch that every. freaking. night.

rugbysecondrow
09-15-2015, 08:11 AM
everyone involved in that saga is a STRONG PASSIONATE personality. douchness all the way around IMO. and all hypocrites.

Agreed. From the documentaries I have seen, the articles I have read, there are no "good guys", everybody is unlikeable, unsympathetic and deserving of what they get.

guido
09-15-2015, 08:12 AM
Method acting taken to stupid extremes...

MattTuck
09-15-2015, 08:17 AM
Method acting taken to stupid extremes...

Nah... taking it to extremes would have been getting the chemo therapy and having one of his testicles removed.

guido
09-15-2015, 08:40 AM
Nah... taking it to extremes would have been getting the chemo therapy and having one of his testicles removed.

True.

goonster
09-15-2015, 08:57 AM
Walsh is getting a lot of stick for his very uncritical coverage of Team Sky.

I don't think it is fair though to tar him with the "they-are-all-jerks" brush . . .

PaulE
09-15-2015, 09:27 AM
I read an interview recently with Steven Spielberg. He said that the "Super hero" genre has a lot of similarities to the western genre of yesteryear. He was expecting them to share the same fate.

Now most movies are remakes of 1960's and 1970's tv series, comic book heroes and old movies. The circle will be complete when a Crusader Rabbit movie is finally made.

CunegoFan
09-15-2015, 10:44 AM
Walsh is getting a lot of stick for his very uncritical coverage of Team Sky.

I don't think it is fair though to tar him with the "they-are-all-jerks" brush . . .

Walsh was Sean Kelly's chief defender when Kelly tested positive for amphetamines. He used wonderful logic like Kelly had passed years and years of tests so taking up drug use late in his career did not make sense, there must be something wrong with the test. Walsh wrote Sean Kelly's biography.

He wrote Stephen Roche's biography. Roche, of course, was a doper of some note who did his best to discredit Paul Kimmage after Kimmage published his expose of drug use in pro cycling, sort of an Armstrong before Armstrong attack on Kimmage.

He co-wrote the biography of Paula Radcliffe, who not only has the fastest women's marathon time by several minutes (all nearby times being done by women who tested posiitve for EPO) but is at the moment dodging questions about her early 2000's blood values that were leaked to the German press and show blood manipulation consistent with drug use.

He wrote Chris Froome's biography and a book on Team Sky, both of which use the exact same arguments that Armstrong used to explain dodgy performances and rubbish his skeptics. Actually he goes further than Armstrong; I don't emember LA's official ball walshers ever comparing his doubters to the supporters of Barabbas.

Armstrong's big mistake with Walsh would seem to be not hiring him to write a biography. Well, that and perhaps being American.

redir
09-15-2015, 11:07 AM
I'm not exactly going to go out of my way to see it. Maybe when I can stream it online. The actor who plays Lance has a close resemblance.

wildboar
09-15-2015, 12:13 PM
If you google "steroids" and "hollywood" this news should not be much of a surprise. Funny pro cyclists don't chill more often with bigtime actors.

ergott
09-15-2015, 12:25 PM
If you google "steroids" and "hollywood" this news should not be much of a surprise. Funny pro cyclists don't chill more often with bigtime actors.

I know, seriously.

http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/2014212/rs_560x415-140312173533-1024.lance.cm.31214.jpg

Jaq
09-15-2015, 12:47 PM
Honestly, I don't know that I'd even watch it on Netflix; I feel like I saw the whole movie in the trailer.

For my money, the best bit was the guy who's playing FL. He just looks like such a sad, tragic puppy with that pitiful pout and those teary eyes.

Edit to add: Love this quote of Ben Foster's: “Doping is not the reason why Lance Armstrong won.”

Oh, actors.

rugbysecondrow
09-15-2015, 12:55 PM

It is widely know that celebrities take steroids and other drugs to help them get/stay in shape and to get a certain body type for a role. Singers do it as well to help with their image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CunegoFan
09-15-2015, 01:16 PM
The interesting thing about this movie will be how it portrays what LA's rivals were doing. From the trailer I saw it looked like they are going with a unique conspiracy to gain a huge advantage over the competition instead of a rider taking the same stuff everyone else of consequence was using.

CunegoFan
09-15-2015, 01:24 PM
It is widely know that celebrities take steroids and other drugs to help them get/stay in shape and to get a certain body type for a role. Singers do it as well to help with their image.

No way. You are saying The Rock might be juicing? I cannot believe that.

http://i.imgur.com/aMtE2.jpg

Next you will be telling me that this sixty-year-old dude is on something.

http://media1.fdncms.com/inlander/imager/stallone-now-available-with-tattoos/u/big/2158284/art18957.jpg

soulspinner
09-15-2015, 01:34 PM

Duck

:d

rugbysecondrow
09-15-2015, 01:44 PM
No way. You are saying The Rock might be juicing? I cannot believe that.

http://i.imgur.com/aMtE2.jpg

Next you will be telling me that this sixty-year-old dude is on something.

http://media1.fdncms.com/inlander/imager/stallone-now-available-with-tattoos/u/big/2158284/art18957.jpg

Exactly, even your everyday guys: Brad Pitt, Christian Bale, Tyler Perry and others.

enr1co
09-15-2015, 01:53 PM
I'm not exactly going to go out of my way to see it. Maybe when I can stream it online. The actor who plays Lance has a close resemblance.

Same here- will watch it when convenient/free.

Since I know the ending ;) Im more curious on how well they replicate the gear, other riders, sets, events etc.

From the trailers, the movie seems to have done a pretty good job of casting actors w/ close resemblance to actual characters.

wildboar
09-15-2015, 02:08 PM
Don't forget the chicken...

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/celeb-news/hugh-jackman-reveals-takes-lot-chicken-become-wolverine-223632622.html?nf=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

azrider
09-15-2015, 02:33 PM
Exactly, even your everyday guys: Brad Pitt, Christian Bale, Tyler Perry and others.

When asked how he "transformed his physique seemingly overnight" Chris was quoted as saying "I cut out the beer." Gotcha Chris. :rolleyes:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/4/46646/3484278-6682441335-chris.jpg

Grant McLean
09-15-2015, 03:11 PM
The interesting thing about this movie will be how it portrays what LA's rivals were doing. From the trailer I saw it looked like they are going with a unique conspiracy to gain a huge advantage over the competition instead of a rider taking the same stuff everyone else of consequence was using.

Not sure what trailer you watched, but 10 seconds into the "official' trailer,
a rider in an ONCE hat, likely supposed to be Jalabert, says to Lance,
"you win all those races in America, but you don't win here"....
I'm sure they're going to cover the angle that he had to dope to win.

-g

CunegoFan
09-15-2015, 03:20 PM
Not sure what trailer you watched, but 10 seconds into the "official' trailer,
a rider in an ONCE hat, likely supposed to be Jalabert, says to Lance,
"you win all those races in America, but you don't win here"....
I'm sure they're going to cover the angle that he had to dope to win.

-g

I watched the German one a few months ago.

dpk501
09-15-2015, 04:11 PM

And this is why this actor will NEVER win an Oscar award....where's the commitment?

gary135r
09-15-2015, 11:25 PM
Tyler Perry? :confused:

Elefantino
09-16-2015, 12:18 AM
Pierre Ballester, who co-wrote the book with Walsh, is threatening to sue the producers because he was left out of the movie.

Imagine that. A lawsuit over an Armstrong movie.

BTW, the premiere in Toronto last week drew some major "meh" from critics.

nicrump
09-16-2015, 07:57 AM
Pierre Ballester, who co-wrote the book with Walsh, is threatening to sue the producers because he was left out of the movie.

BTW, the premiere in Toronto last week drew some major "meh" from critics.

says a lot about the true motives of the "truth seekers"

oldpotatoe
09-16-2015, 08:10 AM
says a lot about the true motives of the "truth seekers"

So, since LA was in the 'public domain', they can use his likeness, name, his 'history', w/o asking for permission??

nicrump
09-16-2015, 09:11 AM
So, since LA was in the 'public domain', they can use his likeness, name, his 'history', w/o asking for permission??

read the post. he is pissed because he was left out.

Mark McM
09-16-2015, 10:07 AM

Pretty much yes. Same goes for other public figures, like politicians, performers, etc. As long as they don't use IP protected materials (for example, they couldn't use anything out of Armstrong's books "It's Not About the Bike" or "Every Second Counts", for example).

93legendti
09-16-2015, 11:29 AM
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/privacy/Privacy_R2d_Torts_Sections.htm

"� 652C Appropriation of Name or Likeness
One who appropriates to his own use or benefit the name or likeness of another is subject to liability to the other for invasion of his privacy.

Comments:
a. The interest protected by the rule stated in this Section is the interest of the individual in the exclusive use of his own identity, in so far as it is represented by his name or likeness, and in so far as the use may be of benefit to him or to others. Although the protection of his personal feelings against mental distress is an important factor leading to a recognition of the rule, the right created by it is in the nature of a property right, for the exercise of which an exclusive license may be given to a third person, which will entitle the licensee to maintain an action to protect it.
b. How invaded. The common form of invasion of privacy under the rule here stated is the appropriation and use of the plaintiff's name or likeness to advertise the defendant's business or product, or for some similar commercial purpose. Apart from statute, however, the rule stated is not limited to commercial appropriation. It applies also when the defendant makes use of the plaintiff's name or likeness for his own purposes and benefit, even though the use is not a commercial one, and even though the benefit sought to be obtained is not a pecuniary one. Statutes in some states have, however, limited the liability to commercial uses of the name or likeness."

CunegoFan
09-16-2015, 11:57 AM

Imagine Bob Woodward selling his story to Hollywood but "forgetting" Carl Bernstein's role so All the President's Men could glorify him as the single crusading reporter who brought down Nixon. To make it more in line with Walsh's case, Woodward would also have to have a record of working as the spokeman for long list of corrupt politicians before and after Nixon.

Any word on when Walsh plans to appear on Oprah?

Elefantino
09-16-2015, 12:21 PM
Not judging Ballester, just laughing at the irony of Armstrong-related lawsuits.

I wonder if Ballester told the producers, "I have the power and the money to destroy you."

Jaq
09-16-2015, 01:10 PM
Imagine Bob Woodward selling his story to Hollywood but "forgetting" Carl Bernstein's role so All the President's Men could glorify him as the single crusading reporter who brought down Nixon. To make it more in line with Walsh's case, Woodward would also have to have a record of working as the spokeman for long list of corrupt politicians before and after Nixon.

Any word on when Walsh plans to appear on Oprah?

A heady thought experiment indeed.

Now imagine that the film "The Program" is based on Walsh's book "Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong" which he wrote himself, and not the book "L.A. Confidentiel," which he wrote in 2003 with Ballester, and which was only published in France.

Oh wait. That's exactly what happened.

Maybe Ballester has a case. Maybe all the great investigative work was a collaborative effort done with that poor Frenchman, and years later, Walsh simply plagiarized their work for Seven Deadly Sins. Maybe Walsh is a scumbag. Maybe he's a saint. Maybe they both are. Maybe Lance Armstrong single-handedly destroyed professional cycling as we know it, and Obi Wan Lemond is our only hope.

Maybe moments before she's captured by the evil Darth Armstrong, Princess Hatch will appeal to Obi Wan Lemond to save them from the Doping Star. Obi Wan will enlist Luke Froome and they'll hitch a ride with Hans Cancellara & "Chewy" Stuey O'Grady. Sneaking aboard the Doping Star, Obi Wan will sacrifice himself to Darth Armstrong with some pithy words about Darth being a "master of evil." But our heroes will escape, meet up with pure-hearted, PED-free rebels of Team Skyron and destroy the Doping Star once and for all.

Or not.

But not including Ballester as a character is hardly some conspiracy. Or even hypocrisy. It's just the way movies get made.

Elefantino
09-16-2015, 01:47 PM
I believe your premise is based on a book by C3PO. You'll be hearing from his (its?) lawyers in the morning.

CunegoFan
09-16-2015, 02:49 PM
Now imagine that the film "The Program" is based on Walsh's book "Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong" which he wrote himself, and not the book "L.A. Confidentiel," which he wrote in 2003 with Ballester, and which was only published in France.

Oh wait. That's exactly what happened.

Walsh wrote two books with Ballester. Seven Dead Sins is little more than quickly knocked out cut-and-paste job that uses material from the first two.

gasman
05-23-2016, 01:27 PM
Watched the movie last night with my wife on Netflix. I thought it covered the LA story pretty well and the acting was decent.Not sure why the heck Ben Foster felt he needed to dope but he did a good job portraying LA's mannerisms. The screen play could have been better written to tell the story in a more flowing narrative, but they covered a lot of territory pretty well and pretty accurately. Well, as accurately as we can know from Walsh's book and the USADA reasoned decision tome.

That my wife, a non-cyclist movie enthusiast watched the whole movie tells me that it didn't stink. We've turned off a lot of movies over the years. I enjoyed it but would give it only 2.5/5 stars.