PDA

View Full Version : Stem drilled for canti brakes? Bad idea?

BumbleBeeDave
05-14-2006, 12:10 PM
I have seen several deals on e-bay for stems for cyclocros that are regular road stems with a hole drilled through them for the canti cable.

Bad idea? Wouldn't this compromise the structural integrity of the stem? Anyone done tihs with either good or bad luck?

BBD

Argos
05-14-2006, 12:44 PM
I have done this, as have friends, and I've seen many others, too.

I have also never seen a problem. No one I know has broken a stem, and I have never heard of someone breaking a stem because of this.

That said, though I will ride on a stem I have drilled and ridden, I would never but one off of ebay. You do not know what that stem has been through, how it was drilled, treated, etc.......

For example, I make a little guide to hold the stem and drill in the right position (for my cable) out of some wood and some clamps. What if in order to get the drill bit from slipping the person took a beefy nail, a hammer, and WHACKED the top of the stem hard to put an indent into it? I do not think I would feel too comfy with that.

I guess, too each, his own, but something like that, I'd rather do myself.

PS I would also say, do not use cheap or ultra light stems. A rugged, dependable quality like that of the Thompson or a Deda Newton.

Bruce K
05-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Dave;

Brake hangers are only a couple of bucks.

Why mess around with a possible safety issue?

Drilling the stem is pretty cool and allows you to get the stem lower, but since you aren't planning on racing, why go through all the bother?

BK

Argos
05-14-2006, 01:23 PM
why go through all the bother?
Drilling the stem is pretty cool

:beer:

Jeremy
05-14-2006, 07:59 PM
I have seen several deals on e-bay for stems for cyclocros that are regular road stems with a hole drilled through them for the canti cable.

Bad idea? Wouldn't this compromise the structural integrity of the stem? Anyone done tihs with either good or bad luck?

BBD

There were many stems that were simply designed this way. The stems that you mention may not be modified. If necessary, it is quite easy to do the mod. In most cases it should not be a problem because the cable hole is not in a high stress area of the stem. Before the era of suspension, it was common for MTB stems to be sold this way. As to why you might pursue this method, you may not have a long enough steerer tube to use a steerer tube mounted hanger. If you use a threaded steerer and quill stem, you can use a steerer tube mounted or stem mounted hanger. But, if you use a steerer tube mounted hanger, you still need to have a suffuciently long steerer tube.