PDA

View Full Version : Recovery tips

sjbraun
05-13-2006, 10:35 PM
Once again, the heat has returned to the Southwest. It was 95 at the end of our 50 miler this morning. I don't have trouble riding in these temps, but I do seem to be very tired the rest of the day. I know I need to drink more fluid before as well as during rides, but what can I do after a ride to lessen the drained feeling I experience? Are there any recovery drinks that might help?

Thanks

toaster
05-13-2006, 11:43 PM
No magic elixers. Chances are you could have started out better hydrated and kept to a regimen of drinking at least a 20 oz. bottle of liquid (water or sports drink) per hour and felt less tired. Eating something that has some sodium and potassium is something to do on the bike as well.

When you finished your ride a little stretching and self-massage for the muscles is good as long as you don't forget to ingest some carbohydrate and a little protein food.

Relaxing with your legs elevated and getting a short nap is a luxury you should indulge in after every good ride.

Weigh yourself before and immediately after your next ride without clothing and do the math. More than a couple pounds difference is indicative of not enough fluid.

531Aussie
05-14-2006, 12:26 AM
are you talking about your legs, or just generally feeling drained?

It took me a long time to realize how important hydrating on the bike is for recovery. I don't take in too much fluid during the bulk of my ride because I don't like pissing too much, :) but, toward the end of my rides, and especially in the last 10 or 15km, I start guzzling water and sports drink. I find this reduces leg soreness after the ride and the next day.

As far as recovery rides go, it also took me a long time to realize that they actually work, and it took me a long time to get the discipline to ride slow enough. :) I try to keep my recovery rides under 35km, and my heart rate <= 110bpm, which, for me, isunder 60%.