PDA

View Full Version : Will a Tiagra "flat bar" derailleur work with my 9 speed Ultegra shifters

Llewellyn
09-11-2015, 03:32 AM
I need to replace my 9 speed Ultegra FD, but I can't get the 10 speed Ultegra derailleur I bought as a spare to work with my 9 speed drivetrain without the chain rubbing on the cage in too many of the gear combinations. It would drive me nuts.

So I'm looking for a new 9 speed FD. Chain Reaction have the Tiagra R440 which is supposed to be for "flat bar" shifters. Will this work with my 6500 era shifters? Most of the info I've found on the net talks about using flat bar shifters with a road FD, not road shifters with a "flat bar" derailleur.

benb
09-11-2015, 07:41 AM
AFAICT there is no difference between the "Flat bar" and "Brifter" setups.

It's all based on cable pull.. it has to match up. I don't know if they changed it for Tiagra 4700 but I have 4600 and have both the brifters & the flat bar shifters and they have the same cable pull.

Now if you're talking 9 speed Shimano seemed to make way more sense with 9-speed and not constantly change the cable pull so maybe it's easier.

I can't necessarily keep it all straight but for example 10-speed Ultegra came in at least 2 different cable pulls. 6600 and 6700 were not compatible IIRC. I think Tiagra 4600 is compatible with Ultegra 6700 but I'm not sure, and I have no idea what if anything Tiagra 4700 is supposed to be compatible with.

That said what I'm talking about mostly seems to be with respect to the rear mech.

oldpotatoe
09-11-2015, 09:28 AM
AFAICT there is no difference between the "Flat bar" and "Brifter" setups.

It's all based on cable pull.. it has to match up. I don't know if they changed it for Tiagra 4700 but I have 4600 and have both the brifters & the flat bar shifters and they have the same cable pull.

Now if you're talking 9 speed Shimano seemed to make way more sense with 9-speed and not constantly change the cable pull so maybe it's easier.

I can't necessarily keep it all straight but for example 10-speed Ultegra came in at least 2 different cable pulls. 6600 and 6700 were not compatible IIRC. I think Tiagra 4600 is compatible with Ultegra 6700 but I'm not sure, and I have no idea what if anything Tiagra 4700 is supposed to be compatible with.

That said what I'm talking about mostly seems to be with respect to the rear mech.

6600/6700/7800/7900 are intercompatible, with 5600/5700 as well. The only outlier is 7900 front der which is compatible only with 7900 LH shifter.