PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else here fat all winter

Tickdoc
09-10-2015, 08:47 PM
Only to work hard to get thin again next spring?

I'm starting to get depressed as the daylight dwindles and my rides are stretching to weekends only.

Happens every damn year.

Then I start making beer, which I drink all winter, along with chili and soups.:beer:

I hate the trainer. Not loathe, or dislike....I HATE it.

I've already started commuting less. I see a muffin top forming...I thought only girls got those?

Rant over.

stien
09-10-2015, 09:01 PM
I thought you mean fat bike all winter, coincidentally that's what I do to keep fit. A worthwhile investment if you ask me.

Louis
09-10-2015, 09:14 PM
Very simple solution, and odds are highly unlikely that you'll get bored:

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2014-02-07-RowingBasics-thumb.gif

ceolwulf
09-10-2015, 09:19 PM
Zwift and a smart trainer (Tacx Vortex) are my ace in the hole this winter.

They better work!

Very simple solution, and odds are highly unlikely that you'll get bored:

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2014-02-07-RowingBasics-thumb.gif

I had a rowing machine once. I used it for an hour. Ten minutes had passed.

erslah
09-10-2015, 09:20 PM
You're in good company (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-OYpHP4Atjq4/T4gEy_9SjXI/AAAAAAAAJEc/eGRq84d6iTI/s1600/janlump.jpg). It's the German way (https://deetsman.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/borisbeckeroktoberfestgolftrophypartyxgmuazs147sl. jpg). Of course, it later turned out he had some help....

Louis
09-10-2015, 09:31 PM

But I bet that in that ten minutes you had one heck of a workout...

I find the erg to be less mind-numbing than riding indoors.

makoti
09-10-2015, 09:31 PM
The key to indoor training is variety & purpose. Have many different workouts, structure them, make them intense and short & for a reason - speed, strength, spinning. Then when you don't do them, at least you'll know exactly where you're going to be weak.

xjoex
09-10-2015, 10:29 PM
Embrace the fat, by that I mean get a fat bike! You'll smile all winter.

-Joe

JAGI410
09-10-2015, 10:38 PM
Fatbike all winter? Absolutely.

I think I lose more weight in the winter actually, since the weather is worse and I have more free time to go to the gym! My bike commutes take longer and I don't drink as much beer. Winter is good and dammit I'm excited for snow to fall again.

Edit: In the winter, I eat my breakfast while sitting by a "happy light". Seems to help. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/62027-verilux-happylight-compact-energy-lamp.html

jtakeda
09-10-2015, 10:40 PM
Wait. What's winter again?

Geeheeb
09-10-2015, 11:14 PM
I'm fat all year round, and I ride all winter too.

parris
09-10-2015, 11:38 PM
And I thought I was the only one...

unterhausen
09-11-2015, 12:14 AM
I have this conversation with my lard-butt doctor all the time. I imagine it's not good for my health, but the truth is that cycling is an eating disorder. I think after nearly 40 years of eating too much and riding it off, it's going to be pretty hard to change this pattern. I got a fat bike to ride in the winter, and unfortunately we have had too much snow the last couple of years to really take advantage of it. I have a good trainer now, so I'm hoping that can keep me going

aramis
09-11-2015, 12:58 AM
It's been over a hundred degrees here. Whats winter?

jwess1234
09-11-2015, 05:02 AM
... but the truth is that cycling is an eating disorder. I think after nearly 40 years of eating too much and riding it off, it's going to be pretty hard to change this pattern

This. Summer me eats to match the riding and winter me keeps eating at the same level minus the riding. Only solution is to move somewhere you can ride all year round.

oldpotatoe
09-11-2015, 06:31 AM
Only to work hard to get thin again next spring?

I'm starting to get depressed as the daylight dwindles and my rides are stretching to weekends only.

Happens every damn year.

Then I start making beer, which I drink all winter, along with chili and soups.:beer:

I hate the trainer. Not loathe, or dislike....I HATE it.

I've already started commuting less. I see a muffin top forming...I thought only girls got those?

Rant over.

Or just stay consistently fat..I rode a lot this year in comparison to recent years..pants fit better but I haven't lost an ounce.

Bought a set of rollers a while back..rode it once, sold it. Try to ride outside if it's dry but cold..Cold, wet, windy..if I get 2, I don't ride.

oh well...I try to enjoy the rides I do get...which I do but muffin top and .1 offa ton is probably where I will stay..

hokoman
09-11-2015, 07:02 AM

This is how I feel about all indoor equipment, doesn't matter if it's a treadmill, rower, or trainer! Love the line.

rugbysecondrow
09-11-2015, 07:57 AM
Do something different, like crossfit, martial arts, swimming, yoga etc. I enjoy riding my bike, but I have lots of other activities which help keep me well rounded (Fat) year round.

It took me a while to learn. When I played rugby, we we do strength and bulking in the winter, then trim with fitness for the season, so I was used to dedicated off and on seasons. Now my activities are more like they were as a child, sport A for 3 months, sport B for 3 months, etc etc.

I do have a concept rower in the garage, I do enjoy that. I will use this site to find interesting rowing workouts: http://carycrossfit.com/category/wods/rowing-wods/page/3/
Cheers

Paul

Tickdoc
09-11-2015, 08:08 AM
I tend to fluctuate about 10 lbs from oct to april. I still ride in the winter, but they are more winded half-paced attempts than the usual enjoyable rides. Plus, I am constantly plagued with what to wear indecision and almost always overdress for fear that I'll get out there and freeze.

Good suggestions on trying something new....I need to do more Yoga, and may try hot Yoga this winter, for the views if nothing else ;~)

It's not even cold here yet at all, but the daylight has triggered a little seasonal depression I think. Makes me whiny. I need to just get out there more and stop bitching.

rugbysecondrow
09-11-2015, 08:17 AM
I tend to fluctuate about 10 lbs from oct to april. I still ride in the winter, but they are more winded half-paced attempts than the usual enjoyable rides. Plus, I am constantly plagued with what to wear indecision and almost always overdress for fear that I'll get out there and freeze.

Good suggestions on trying something new....I need to do more Yoga, and may try hot Yoga this winter, for the views if nothing else ;~)

It's not even cold here yet at all, but the daylight has triggered a little seasonal depression I think. Makes me whiny. I need to just get out there more and stop bitching.

I find lifting heavy stuff helps my winter depression, gets the juices flowing. Hot yoga is not so great for the views, they seem to be either really good or really bad...not a solid middle of the road.

Best of luck, its the journey.

FlashUNC
09-11-2015, 08:34 AM
Its easier just to stay fat.

pff
09-11-2015, 05:00 PM
I lose weight in the winter because I'm not constantly worried that I'm going to bonk on my next ride if I don't eat 10 scoops of white rice right now

beeatnik
09-11-2015, 05:04 PM
Friends keep asking me what I'm doing to lose weight, even though my weight has been stable for 3 months.

Honey, does this make me look fat?
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5801/20709086294_611776a26d_c.jpg

Raffy
09-11-2015, 06:50 PM
I motivate myself to ride my trainer and keep from gaining weight by imagining my riding buddies stuffing their faces and not riding during the week and losing fitness while I'm doing the opposite :)

Plus the weekday base endurance trainer rides during winter really really help. They might be low intensity but I feel really springy and fit come the weekend outside rides.

wc1934
09-11-2015, 07:30 PM
Zwift and a smart trainer (Tacx Vortex) are my ace in the hole this winter.

They better work!

hahaha - good one!!!

Tickdoc
09-11-2015, 07:38 PM
Friends keep asking me what I'm doing to lose weight, even though my weight has been stable for 3 months.

So maybe I just need a skinsuit?:banana:

CampyorBust
09-13-2015, 09:39 AM
I swear I am slower without my gut. Its like an energy pouch.

bikingshearer
09-15-2015, 01:28 AM
Its easier just to stay fat.

As Andy Rooney once said: "I'm in shape. Round is a shape."

inlimbo87
09-15-2015, 08:23 AM
I live in FL so for me the winter is my favorite time to ride.

As others have said, a trainer and zwift, trainerroad and/or sufferfest videos should keep you training with motivation.

joosttx
09-15-2015, 08:27 AM

Since your asking I see a little muffin top, yo

Ray
09-15-2015, 08:31 AM
I used to get fat in the winter and work it off every spring and summer. I got tired of it too, like the OP. So now I just stay fat year round. My rides are just as much fun as they used to be - just slower, shorter, and less frequent. My rides come with an "as-is" guarantee...

-Ray

bikerboy337
09-15-2015, 08:45 AM
The past few years i've tacked on about 10-15 pounds each winter (corporate job, 2 small kids, soccer coaching, etc)... so this year i've decided to take up running again as I can pretty much run all winter long... doing 3 days a week now (maybe 15 miles total), and working up to some longer distances for one day on the weekend...

hoping running with the trainer 1-2 nights a week will stave off the winter bulge...

MattTuck
09-15-2015, 08:49 AM
I think the key is to have a plan going into the winter and stick to it.

Dealing multiple with factors here, inside more, less light so makes before/after work activities more challenging, food tends to be more plentiful. This is not to mention the mental aspects of just relaxing and letting loose which can be a strong impulse after being focused during the riding season.

I think most people gain the most between thanksgiving and new years (if I am remembering right from some study I read). So it makes sense to try to be really disciplined with eating during that time.

There is a bunch of information that says it is really hard to lose weight just via exercise. You have to do it with diet. So if you don't want to gain, you have to focus on the diet. That being said, having a fitness plan is helpful too.

strength training is something that can be done pretty well in the winter and can support both general fitness and cycling performance. I find it hard to do it when the weather is nice, since I'd rather be outside. But if it is 6pm, dark and 13 degrees outside, I all of a sudden don't mind being in the gym doing some strength stuff. This year, I have some goals in mind about really working my legs unilaterally. Lots of split squats in my future.

Also, I haven't yet watched any of: The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, GoT, House of Cards, Orphan Black or Broadchurch... so I've got plenty of content for the trainer. After I exhausted the spring classics available on youtube, I watched all of the wire last year.

MattTuck
09-15-2015, 08:55 AM
I should add that this normative talk from me. I gained 10 pounds last winter... but I am comitted to doing better this time around.

Once January 1st rolls around, we'll have to get the Forum weight loss challenge going.

rugbysecondrow
09-15-2015, 08:58 AM
Two years ago, I pretty much cut out alcohol between Halloween and New Years, that made a big difference. It was surprising the number of happy hours, parties, functions, foot ball games etc. Couple that with a change in activity, and it adds up.

Tickdoc
09-15-2015, 09:02 AM
I should add that this normative talk from me. I gained 10 pounds last winter... but I am comitted to doing better this time around.

Once January 1st rolls around, we'll have to get the Forum weight loss challenge going.

OOh that sounds good.

I tend to fluctuate 10lbs a year as well.

Doesn't sound like much, til you think of taping two 5 lb bags of sugar to your bike and going for a ride. The weight is such a drag.

Don't do that, BTW.;)

rzthomas
09-15-2015, 10:35 AM
But I bet that in that ten minutes you had one heck of a workout...

I find the erg to be less mind-numbing than riding indoors.

Same here. This winter, I am planning on doing most of my indoor training on my $150 Model B (upgraded with a PM4). We'll see how that goes.

Anyway, most people do indoor training the wrong way: they get on their bike or rowing machine thinking they'll just spin steady for 60 minutes. It's almost impossible to do that.

The way to work out indoors is to have a plan, which means intervals of varying intensities and durations. If I'm doing a structured workout, the 30-60 minutes on the trainer/erg go by pretty quickly.

veloduffer
09-15-2015, 11:07 AM
I try to ride outside until it gets into the 20s. I'd rather ride 1/2 hour outside than inside. I occasionally throw in some indoor intervals. Some of those new fangled trainers like Wahoo look cool, but I'd probably be wasting my pesos

I also play more indoor tennis and there are some classes with aerobic conditioning drills incorporated into the tennis.

Moreover, I try to watch my weight. More soups and salad for dinner and lunch (not cream or bisque types though) and really watch out for carbs (even though I love bread and bagels).

redir
09-15-2015, 11:13 AM
Last winter I took up running too. It's a great way to burn calories in a short amount of time. I worked my way up to about 15-20Km a week and have maintained 10k per week through the summer just so I don't have to start all over again and it's a good cross training plan.

I can't ride out in the cold anymore so running works for me. I also significantly reduced the amount of beer I drink and that alone is probably 90% the effort!