PDA

View Full Version : Did one of our favorite rides today

Bud
05-13-2006, 07:31 PM
It's kind of a brutal climb, but Lefthand Canyon is beautiful and a cyclists' dream, imho. My wife and I met a friend and did this climb today and truly enjoyed it. The weather was great (mid 70's in the low elevations, maybe upper 50's up higher) and sunny to partly cloudy. The road has relatively little traffic, nice shoulders, and a good surface. Lots of cyclists, too. . .

The climb starts around 5300' and follows Lefthand canyon (and the creek of the same name) for about 15 miles, where it breaks off and climbs up Indiana gulch for the last couple of miles (that's the really tough part- 10+%). We stopped at the general store in Ward (9300') and bought a gatorade and chatted with the owner.

The climb was tough, but the descent was a big part of the reward- wide open for 16 miles. It was nice way to feel like we earned those IPA's with dinner.

Anyway, if any of you are ever out this way, don't miss an opporutnity to do this ride. I'll gladly accompany you :D .

Tailwinds
05-13-2006, 10:15 PM
That is a really great ride... sometimes it's hard living in CO.

NicaDog
05-13-2006, 10:41 PM
Hey Bud, I did the same ride today, when were you at Ward?

Great weather today don't you think.

Love living in Boulder!

Cheers.

Bud
05-14-2006, 09:07 AM
The weather was awesome. My wife and I rolled up to the store at about 2:00. WHen were you there?

I always like to buy a snack and drink from that guy at the store- he's pretty nice and generous to alow us to fill the bottles at his water cooler.

mwos
05-14-2006, 09:49 AM
Looks like that's a ride to shoot for, with my new bike and when I get back into clipless, later in the summer, perhaps.

I rode the Clear Creek bike trail yesterday, great views of the snowy peaks on the way back.

It is tough living here and I really appreciate it when I hear the forecast for Cincy this weekend, as usual on Mother's Day, is rain, rain and more rain.

Kathi

Skrawny
05-14-2006, 10:38 AM
from that profile, it looks like you fall off a clif at mile ~26.

Bud
05-14-2006, 10:51 AM
from that profile, it looks like you fall off a clif at mile ~26.

Yea, I thik the gps burped right there because I don't recall getting any air. . .

bigbill
05-14-2006, 01:42 PM
I did that ride a bunch of times when my dad lived in Longmont. Even with the traffic, there were so many cyclists around that I never felt isolated. I love Ward. I went to boarding school in Lafayette and we would spend our summers up at Stapps Lake and would have cookouts and softball games with the Ward rats. The town was still pretty "hippie" in 1981.

Bud
05-14-2006, 01:50 PM
The town was still pretty "hippie" in 1981.

It's still pretty hippie. I doubt it's changed much since then. Nice folks up there. It totally reminds me of a town I lived in WY.