PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Colorado Specialty Velo (CO Velo)

thirdgenbird
09-10-2015, 12:27 PM
Does anyone have experience with Colorado Specialty Velo, most specifically Jon Severson?

Does anyone in the Colorado Springs area know a physical location or contact number?

thirdgenbird
09-10-2015, 02:54 PM
Things have gone south quickly. I will update tonight. At this point, I would reccomend avoiding all business with them/him.

I am pretty sure he sold me a frame that may or may not exist with no intention to deliver.

makoti
09-10-2015, 03:04 PM
Things have gone south quickly. I will update tonight. At this point, I would reccomend avoiding all business with them/him.

I am pretty sure he sold me a frame that may or may not exist with no intention to deliver.

Yikes. This will be interesting...

thirdgenbird
09-10-2015, 03:45 PM
I've given him till 5 to produce a tracking number or a refund. I will release what information I can after that.

gdw
09-10-2015, 04:17 PM
edited and set via pm.

Blown Reek
09-10-2015, 05:48 PM
I've given him till 5 to produce a tracking number or a refund. I will release what information I can after that.

Is that eastern or mountain time?

thirdgenbird
09-10-2015, 06:01 PM
Is that eastern or mountain time?

Central.

Jon has sent me a tracking number. Despite spending the last several days insisting my frame went out on Friday, the shipping information was created and the package was picked up today. I should have it Saturday.

there is other suspicious information that I don't have permission to share. I would still avoid any transactions at this time.

thirdgenbird
09-12-2015, 10:57 AM
The frameset arrived. The paint damage is pretty disappointing for a frame sold as new in box. 5 pretty large chips go beyond what I would consider shop wear. The very nice headbadge is also missing. None of this was disclosed prior to purchase.

likebikes
09-12-2015, 11:17 AM
dispute it with your card company and/or paypal.

thirdgenbird
09-12-2015, 12:18 PM
dispute it with your card company and/or paypal.

I emailed him first. If he doesn't respond, I will file a paypal dispute.

oliver1850
09-12-2015, 12:24 PM
Sorry to see this, I know you were looking forward to getting the bike built.

You might contact Singular, maybe they can help you out. He is still shown as a dealer on their page, despite his website and facebook page being removed.

thirdgenbird
09-12-2015, 12:34 PM
I contacted singular and they told me CSV was no longer trading and didn't seem to want to get involved.

They still have a Facebook, but it's CO Velo now. Part of the suspicious activity.

likebikes
09-12-2015, 12:56 PM
I tried to buy a closeout singular frame from him last year from craigslist, buy he was flaky and the price kept changing and he would be at this place at this time but then cancelled at the last minute, etc.

Schmed
09-12-2015, 01:58 PM
I think he's had a bunch of those Singulars on Craigslist for many months now.

thirdgenbird
09-12-2015, 04:06 PM
I think he's had a bunch of those Singulars on Craigslist for many months now.

Given my experaince, and comments like above, I think he only has a few and then does a poor job selling/delivering on them. The claim is that I've got the last new 57.

I've got three emails from him where he told he shipped the frame last week and I had no reason to worry. It was all a complete lie. He shipped it 6 days later after I gave him a deadline for a dispute.

The good news out of all of this is that I like the frame. Not happy about the paint issues, but that's not the frame's fault. In a little afraid it may be too small, but I think I need to build it to be sure. The top tube on the next size up was just too long. It may all work out however. It's got more bb drop and stand over height than I'm used to, but that should play hand in hand with larger tires. I also want to take the thing off-road so I may welcome the extra clearance. Weight is quite a bit higher than I was told, but it's in line with similar framesets. It looks like real word mr pink frame weights are less but the fork is more. At the end of the day, I think the framesets weight the same plus or minus a few grams.

gomango
09-12-2015, 09:14 PM
You are going to love it!

Time to enjoy your new frameset. :)

Given my experaince, and comments like above, I think he only has a few and then does a poor job selling/delivering on them. The claim is that I've got the last new 57.

I've got three emails from him where he told he shipped the frame last week and I had no reason to worry. It was all a complete lie. He shipped it 6 days later after I gave him a deadline for a dispute.

The good news out of all of this is that I like the frame. Not happy about the paint issues, but that's not the frame's fault. In a little afraid it may be too small, but I think I need to build it to be sure. The top tube on the next size up was just too long. It may all work out however. It's got more bb drop and stand over height than I'm used to, but that should play hand in hand with larger tires. I also want to take the thing off-road so I may welcome the extra clearance. Weight is quite a bit higher than I was told, but it's in line with similar framesets. It looks like real word mr pink frame weights are less but the fork is more. At the end of the day, I think the framesets weight the same plus or minus a few grams.

thirdgenbird
09-12-2015, 09:19 PM
You are going to love it!

Time to enjoy your new frameset. :)

Make sure you subscribe to the build. It's going to turn some people off :)

Edit: I just noticed the return address is for a shipping store. Seems odd for a buisness that used to have a web storefront. I'm guessing he doesn't want to release his physical location. That or he no longer holds one.

likebikes
09-13-2015, 02:29 AM

nah, i believe co specialty velo was the (sole?) singular importer, at least through mid-2014. the getting rid of extra unsold stock story checks out, at least.

thirdgenbird
09-13-2015, 08:36 AM
nah, i believe co specialty velo was the (sole?) singular importer, at least through mid-2014. the getting rid of extra unsold stock story checks out, at least.

But I recall seeing an add from 2014 that claims there was only a few left in each size. He directly told me there were only 15-20 Ospreys imported to the U.S. in total. A portion of these went to Prairie Peddler here in Iowa. If those numbers check out, he didn't have much inventory to clear out.

Slow Eddie
09-13-2015, 08:53 PM
If you want to look into getting a head badge from the UK, you can add my name to the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thirdgenbird
09-13-2015, 09:40 PM
Did your not have one either?

Slow Eddie
09-13-2015, 11:43 PM
Did your not have one either?

Nope.