PDA

View Full Version : Vittoria's truly flat proof tires are coming

phcollard
09-10-2015, 05:26 AM
Anybody seen this? Hoax or April fools?

Truly flat resistant AND world's fastest tire in the same sentence? Mmmm...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zphzwXRdqIw

sandyrs
09-10-2015, 05:46 AM
Doesn't seem like a hoax if they're launching MTB tired with the same material.

http://www.vittoria.com/press-announcement/vittoria-launches-off-road-tires-with-graphene/

sandyrs
09-10-2015, 05:52 AM
More info.

http://www.vittoria.com/video-gallery/graphene

roguedog
09-10-2015, 08:06 AM
Yes but will they be goathead proof?? :/

ps. exciting.

Mikej
09-10-2015, 08:14 AM
Sounds great, wonder what they will want for a pair $+

Shortsocks
09-10-2015, 08:18 AM
Crap. I don't need to be spending anymore money...and then this comes along. Man oh man this is going to cost an arm and leg.

Wonder what Stats will be? Rolling resistance, sizes, weight?

Lewis Moon
09-10-2015, 08:41 AM
I, for one, welcome our new graphene overlords.

I love puncture resistance, but I HATE what it does to a tire's ride quality and rolling resistance. My prediction: This tire will probably go for just under $100 a pop for clinchers. I think I'll wait for the 5#!+ to trickle down.

ANAO
09-10-2015, 08:46 AM
I'd buy a pair. These would be great in NYC.

45K10
09-10-2015, 08:56 AM
What about the sealant on the outside of the tire in the last frame of the video? Is this how they can claim it is flat-proof?

chriscap
09-10-2015, 09:06 AM
More info including sizes and weight:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/09/03/eb15-vittoria-reworks-the-road-with-graphene-corsa-and-rubino-updates-details-new-mtb-tires/

Very interesting stuff. Also sounds like they'll be releasing their first tubeless road tire with Graphene tech. Seems like the material has a lot of potential for road tubeless.

If anything, the imminent release of these should bring some good deals on the current line of Vittoria tires in the next few months. I picked up a pair of Open Paves for $36/each at BTD over the weekend.

inkandsilver
09-10-2015, 09:15 AM
Magick!!

Lewis Moon
09-10-2015, 09:18 AM
Magick!!

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsB/1801-12885.jpg

makoti
09-10-2015, 09:19 AM
What about the sealant on the outside of the tire in the last frame of the video? Is this how they can claim it is flat-proof?

I'm wondering that, too. Are these just tubeless tires with a fancy tire compound?

Elefantino
09-10-2015, 09:33 AM
I'm wondering that, too. Are these just tubeless tires with a fancy tire compound?
Yes. All their mid- to top-level tires will have the G+ compound. The Corsa Speed can be run tubeless.

DHallerman
09-10-2015, 09:38 AM
Sounds like a good step up from some of my new favorite road tires:
Vittoria Rubino Pro-Tech, in the 25mm size.

And this new Rubino Pro Endurance would seem to be a great choice for a winter tire -- you know, winter, the time when fixing a flat on the road is most painful.

Dave, who finds the Rubino Pro-Tech a good deal more supple than Conti Gatorskins which have been the main way people have combined road tires and flat resistance

jmal
09-10-2015, 10:14 AM
Very intriguing. I have no need at the moment, but in two years I will be moving to the land of goatheads and I'd welcome a tire that has an acceptable ride and can resist punctures. I'm dreading "the system."

tuscanyswe
09-10-2015, 10:21 AM
I stopped using precaution compounds in my tires. Not worth it imo.
Rather have a can to use when a puncture actually occurs.

redir
09-10-2015, 10:32 AM
I'm sure I'll figure out a way to get a flat with those.

makoti
09-10-2015, 10:43 AM

It's a skill not everyone can master.

many_styles
09-10-2015, 03:33 PM
I'll take a pair with gum walls, please.

PaulE
09-10-2015, 03:59 PM

The video looks like the nails are puncturing the tire and the graphene is sealing the puncture immediately. Most of my flats are from tiny shards of steel or glass. But occasionally I get a flat with a cut tire and need to boot the tire to get home. I don't think the graphene is going to seal a cut in the 320 tpi corespun cotton.

Still, I am interested, and I bet that is why there was a great sale on Open Corsa Pave's in green black and all black in both 25 and 27 mm sizes last week.

azrider
09-10-2015, 04:18 PM
I'll take a pair with gum walls, please.

From what I've read, the entire line of Graphene tires will be gum wall

palincss
09-10-2015, 04:22 PM
Very intriguing. I have no need at the moment, but in two years I will be moving to the land of goatheads and I'd welcome a tire that has an acceptable ride and can resist punctures. I'm dreading "the system."

One of the members of the iBOB list lives in Goathead Land and reports that he has excellent results with Stans sealant and Challenge Parigi Roubaix tires, which, as is well known, have absolutely no puncture resistance whatsoever.

Plum Hill
09-10-2015, 06:26 PM
I could have used one today. Again.
But I don't know if I want to get in the tubeless hassle. Everyone I know that tried them now ride with tubes. Less headaches.
Why didn't Vittoria just call it tubeless?

jmal
09-11-2015, 07:57 AM
One of the members of the iBOB list lives in Goathead Land and reports that he has excellent results with Stans sealant and Challenge Parigi Roubaix tires, which, as is well known, have absolutely no puncture resistance whatsoever.

Is this with tubulars? I don't think I would trust a ghetto road tubeless setup with clinchers, which is what I ride. At this point I have not even been tempted by dedicated road tubeless, but the roads around here are pretty clean. Once I move things will likely change.

EDS
09-11-2015, 08:23 AM
From what I've read, the entire line of Graphene tires will be gum wall

Just the Corsa line, not the Rubino line (they get the grapheme treatment too but have black sidewalls).

thegunner
09-11-2015, 09:06 AM
Just the Corsa line, not the Rubino line (they get the grapheme treatment too but have black sidewalls).

yeah, but if you're going to get these, you're not going budget right? :)

azrider
09-11-2015, 11:02 AM

Cool. Did not see that.

Louis
09-11-2015, 11:32 AM
http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsB/1801-12885.jpg

As long as the tire weighs less than a duck we're good to go.

fishwhisperer
09-11-2015, 11:48 AM
The video looks like the nails are puncturing the tire and the graphene is sealing the puncture immediately. Most of my flats are from tiny shards of steel or glass. But occasionally I get a flat with a cut tire and need to boot the tire to get home. I don't think the graphene is going to seal a cut in the 320 tpi corespun cotton.

Still, I am interested, and I bet that is why there was a great sale on Open Corsa Pave's in green black and all black in both 25 and 27 mm sizes last week.

that's my question, too. puncture wounds are one thing, but how does it do with the slashing variety?

palincss
09-11-2015, 04:49 PM
Is this with tubulars? I don't think I would trust a ghetto road tubeless setup with clinchers, which is what I ride. At this point I have not even been tempted by dedicated road tubeless, but the roads around here are pretty clean. Once I move things will likely change.

No, "open tubular" -- i.e., clinchers -- with tubes and sealant, I believe.

jmal
09-11-2015, 10:03 PM
No, "open tubular" -- i.e., clinchers -- with tubes and sealant, I believe.

I see. I would be more interested in a dedicated system. Challenge tires scare me.

palincss
09-12-2015, 06:14 AM
The thought of initially mounting a new-in-the-package Challenge Parigi-Roubaix open tubular would frighten most anyone. But the point really is this: if someone who lives in goathead country can be happy riding the most flat-prone tire on earth using tubes and Stans sealant, it's worth trying that combination with other tires.

azrider
01-08-2016, 01:07 PM
Are these tires available yet ?

Are these it ??

http://www.artscyclery.com/descpage-VTCROS.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiA2b20BRDj4buduIG-y9EBEiQAhgMGFXyPSinQcTP3hTfXhBSNw8Z3IKvRg_QzDPFAFv cdsLQaAucT8P8HAQ

AngryScientist
01-08-2016, 01:10 PM

yes, multiple popular sources. competitive cyclist, for example has them.

azrider
01-08-2016, 01:11 PM
yes, multiple popular sources. Competitive cyclist, for example has them.

10-4

PFSLABD
01-08-2016, 01:14 PM
I never had much luck with Vittoria tires. They constantly went flat. I placed them on the same pedestal as I placed Panaracer tires, right beside junk.

PFSLABD
01-08-2016, 01:16 PM
The thought of initially mounting a new-in-the-package Challenge Parigi-Roubaix open tubular would frighten most anyone. But the point really is this: if someone who lives in goathead country can be happy riding the most flat-prone tire on earth using tubes and Stans sealant, it's worth trying that combination with other tires.

Glad to see somebody with the same experience as I had with these tires, yet I didn't use tubulars. The clinchers were bad enough.

Lewis Moon
01-08-2016, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Glad to see somebody with the same experience as I had with these tires, yet I didn't use tubulars. The clinchers were bad enough.

Where does anyone live that they get so many flats? I live in the Arizona desert, where everything has thorns, and I get maybe five flats a year (~6500 miles)....on Open Coursas and other "tissue" tires.

Vinci
01-08-2016, 02:25 PM

Are these it ??

http://www.artscyclery.com/descpage-VTCROS.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiA2b20BRDj4buduIG-y9EBEiQAhgMGFXyPSinQcTP3hTfXhBSNw8Z3IKvRg_QzDPFAFv cdsLQaAucT8P8HAQ
I thought the "flat proof" versions were the Open-TLR tires. These are being called "open clinchers" which seems redundant and confusing.

eBAUMANN
01-08-2016, 02:35 PM
Merlin (https://www.merlincycles.com/vittoria-corsa-g-isotech-folding-road-tyre-87374.html)

looks like they are selling like hot-cakes...

very curious to try the 28's

tele
01-08-2016, 04:09 PM
Western Bike Works has them for $65 and change but no 28s.
https://www.westernbikeworks.com/product/vittoria-corsa-clincher

I was interested in them too but now not sure with the Schwalbe Pro One tubeless...

eBAUMANN
01-08-2016, 04:12 PM
Western Bike Works has them for $65 and change but no 28s.
https://www.westernbikeworks.com/product/vittoria-corsa-clincher

I was interested in them too but now not sure with the Schwalbe Pro One tubeless...

says 83.99 for me...

cinema
01-08-2016, 04:15 PM
I never had much luck with Vittoria tires. They constantly went flat. I placed them on the same pedestal as I placed Panaracer tires, right beside junk.

the opposite of true

eBAUMANN
01-08-2016, 04:17 PM
the opposite of true

agreed, vittoria and panaracer both make awesome stuff.

azrider
01-08-2016, 04:20 PM
says 83.99 for me...

ditto

tele
01-08-2016, 04:26 PM
says 83.99 for me...

somehow I'm part of the "leader's club"....I have ordered from them before so maybe you need to create an acct?

PFSLABD
01-08-2016, 04:46 PM
Where does anyone live that they get so many flats? I live in the Arizona desert, where everything has thorns, and I get maybe five flats a year (~6500 miles)....on Open Coursas and other "tissue" tires.

The Navy sent me for training to Lowry AFB( back before the base was closed. I rode all around Denver and Aurora and one day got 3 flats in a row. After inquiring of some local riders and the local Performance Bike shop, I discovered that these harmless looking tumbleweeds blowing across the road leave thorns behind that love to puncture bike tires. You must be riding in the city limits and never ride in rural areas.

azrider
01-08-2016, 04:51 PM
somehow I'm part of the "leader's club"....I have ordered from them before so maybe you need to create an acct?

I have ordered from them before and logged in to check and no dice.

Bummer.

C'grats for being leader!!! :p:p

tele
01-08-2016, 05:49 PM
I have ordered from them before and logged in to check and no dice.

Bummer.

C'grats for being leader!!! :p:p
Here's what I found about being a leader, other than being awesome :p
Maybe email them and see what's up?
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1577/23632933033_e4d8c17a6a_c.jpg

campy man
01-08-2016, 08:06 PM

Can you check your junk pile and see if those tires are still there? I'll gladly take them :D

oldpotatoe
01-09-2016, 06:33 AM
The Navy sent me for training to Lowry AFB( back before the base was closed. I rode all around Denver and Aurora and one day got 3 flats in a row. After inquiring of some local riders and the local Performance Bike shop, I discovered that these harmless looking tumbleweeds blowing across the road leave thorns behind that love to puncture bike tires. You must be riding in the city limits and never ride in rural areas.

Called goat heads and yup, particularly on windy days, after a wet spell, then dry spell, they are everywhere. Orange Seal or some other sealant is your friend.

Thanks for your service, what training at Lowry?

-retired USN Phantom Phyler

Lewis Moon
01-09-2016, 06:44 AM

Heh...no. Not much in the way of tumbleweeds though. They're an introduced species (Russian Thistle, I believe) and they're pretty aggressive about eradication in these parts.
I also watch where I'm going.

AngryScientist
01-22-2016, 07:04 AM
"graphene" on the cheap. we'll see if these live up to the hype. going on the workhorse bike, we'll see just how "flat proof" these are.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ULco3MToJhc/VqF0KzcUn-I/AAAAAAAACWs/rR0oCDNYx_8/s840/P1080588xxx.JPG

ultraman6970
01-22-2016, 07:10 AM
Let is know.

ANAO
01-22-2016, 07:12 AM
How much are they?

bcroslin
01-22-2016, 08:45 AM
Can someone comment on the difference between the Corsa and Rubino? After the number of flats I've had lately I'm ready to switch to Gatorskins because I'm tired of flushing money down the toilet. If the graphene technology is for real I'm all in.

roguedog
01-22-2016, 09:04 AM
Ooh, have been curious about these since notified by this thread.

I really love my Vittoria paves. Where are the paves? Did they get renamed cuz I don't seem the on the Vittoria site (http://www.vittoria.com/tires/road-tire/). If so, then looks like they've become the Corsa Competition. Is that right?

Vinci
01-22-2016, 09:27 AM
Ooh, have been curious about these since notified by this thread.

I really love my Vittoria paves. Where are the paves? Did they get renamed cuz I don't seem the on the Vittoria site (http://www.vittoria.com/tires/road-tire/). If so, then looks like they've become the Corsa Competition. Is that right?
I think the Pave is getting swallowed up into the Corsa line and they will have wider Corsas now.

chrispino
01-22-2016, 10:39 AM
Merlin (https://www.merlincycles.com/vittoria-corsa-g-isotech-folding-road-tyre-87374.html)

looks like they are selling like hot-cakes...

very curious to try the 28's

The tubeless ones only come is 23's for now

Just got some (they sponsor our team) I'll probably mount up on some CLX64's but probably won't ride them until the season starts. Waiting on tubeless tape and valves to get them on.

Dead Man
01-22-2016, 10:46 AM
I punctured a Pave on the rollers last night...

It was one of the center-strip varieties with the removable valve stem... puncture was blowing through a big cut that had previously not leaked any. My Stan's pre-treatment sealed it up, but there's obviously a little piece of something buried up in there, for it to blow out like that on the rollers. Pretty lame.. tire has like 100 miles on it.

I think that particular vintage of tire sucked, and I theorize its where all the complaints about Paves easily cutting came from. I don't know what the crap Vittoria was thinking when they did all that, but I'm glad they went back. Too late, apparently.... since they've now discontinued it.. I mean, you wouldn't discontinue a product if sales were good

bcroslin
01-22-2016, 11:03 AM
I punctured a Pave on the rollers last night...

It was one of the center-strip varieties with the removable valve stem... puncture was blowing through a big cut that had previously not leaked any. My Stan's pre-treatment sealed it up, but there's obviously a little piece of something buried up in there, for it to blow out like that on the rollers. Pretty lame.. tire has like 100 miles on it.

I think that particular vintage of tire sucked, and I theorize its where all the complaints about Paves easily cutting came from. I don't know what the crap Vittoria was thinking when they did all that, but I'm glad they went back. Too late, apparently.... since they've now discontinued it.. I mean, you wouldn't discontinue a product if sales were good

The LBS has a ton of those sitting on the wall that they can't get rid of. Everyone that has bought a set has had issues from what they told me. They can't give them away.

veloduffer
01-22-2016, 03:23 PM
"graphene" on the cheap. we'll see if these live up to the hype. going on the workhorse bike, we'll see just how "flat proof" these are.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ULco3MToJhc/VqF0KzcUn-I/AAAAAAAACWs/rR0oCDNYx_8/s840/P1080588xxx.JPG

Hmm, Head tennis racquets are now made with Graphene.

ptourkin
01-22-2016, 03:41 PM
I'm supposed to have mine next week. Rumor has it that a forum member who "rides metal" already has a bunch. Rode with a friend on the new tubulars on the track yesterday.

roguedog
02-04-2016, 08:40 AM
Anyone been riding these? Any difference in ride quality? Been actively riding through broken beer bottles or even better, fields with goatheads?

Man, I just switched tires from a bike with Conti's to my Pave's and it just rides so much nicer, smoother. The difference was amazing.

Cicli
02-04-2016, 08:43 AM
Anyone been riding these? Any difference in ride quality? Been actively riding through broken beer bottles or even better, fields with goatheads?

Man, I just switched tires from a bike with Conti's to my Pave's and it just rides so much nicer, smoother. The difference was amazing.

I have been riding a set of Corsas for a bit. They are nice. I wouldn't ride them where glass and bad stuff are a problem though.

teleguy57
02-05-2016, 09:44 AM
Anyone have the 28mm tubs yet? Curious how they measure out. My 27mm Pave tubs measure at 26.5 and I'd love something that's a bit bigger....

frank_h
03-15-2016, 08:06 AM
Has anyone tried the new Speed versions : Vittoria Corsa Speed G Plus Tire?

Particularly curious in hearing if anyone has any experience with the tubulars. Looking for some light weight, performance tubulars to go on my climbing wheels. At 225g, these seem to be too good to be true.

oldpotatoe
03-15-2016, 08:51 AM
Box for one tire..YIKES!!

03-15-2016, 09:47 AM

Some early tests have apparently shown that these tires don't like to be folded. So they may never be good spare-tire-under-the-saddle tires.

EDS
03-15-2016, 09:57 AM

That amount of packaging is disgusting.

cachagua
03-15-2016, 02:42 PM
Sure, wire-bead sewups. All the cool kids are ridin' 'em.

bcroslin
03-15-2016, 06:42 PM
I was going to dredge this thread back up. I've been riding a set of Corsas for about 400 miles and I have to say they're great tires. They don't ride quite as good as Michelin Pro 4's but so far the flat protection has been great. The Corsas don't seem to slice as easily as the Michelins either. Anyone else riding the Corsas?

stephenmarklay
03-15-2016, 07:32 PM

Clearly they are just trying to make you think they are worth more being in such a big package. I lost a little respect for them seeing this

stephenmarklay
03-15-2016, 07:33 PM
Some early tests have apparently shown that these tires don't like to be folded. So they may never be good spare-tire-under-the-saddle tires.

Interesting

dustyrider
03-15-2016, 07:40 PM

Good thing cross over vehicles are replacing sport utility vehicles! We almost don't have enough room in the boot...

bcroslin
04-21-2016, 09:04 AM
I'm dredging this back up to report that I've got 1000+ miles on a set of G+ Corsa's and they seem to live up to the hype. I write this after watching a buddy fix a flat for the 2nd time on his set of recently new Pro 4's. I haven't had any flats with the Corsas and they have very few of the slices I would see in my Pro 4's after a few hundred miles. They're my new go-to tires for sure.

DHallerman
04-21-2016, 09:38 AM
I'm dredging this back up to report that I've got 1000+ miles on a set of G+ Corsa's and they seem to live up to the hype. I write this after watching a buddy fix a flat for the 2nd time on his set of recently new Pro 4's. I haven't had any flats with the Corsas and they have very few of the slices I would see in my Pro 4's after a few hundred miles. They're my new go-to tires for sure.

I have the G+ (graphene) version of the Rubino tires, and I've been very happy with them so far...not many miles on them yet.

And while I'm interested in the G+ Corsa's, the only ones I've seen so far (online) are black and tan. Are your's black and tan?

I would want all black, or black/grey, but they don't seem to be available yet.

Dave, who tends to prefer Vittoria and Continental bicycle tires

nate2351
04-21-2016, 11:04 AM
I've had a pair of the Corsa's on my training wheels since late February, putting in ~250 miles a week. These tires are awesome, I've been very impressed, the rear is only now starting to look worn. Tons of grip, very smooth rolling, and I haven't had any flats riding through the city.

Lewis Moon
04-21-2016, 11:14 AM
I've lately become quite the fan of Vittoria tires. This is great news. So long, Bib.

ptourkin
04-21-2016, 01:28 PM
1,200 miles so far with 3 flats. Two I couldn't find the reason for, so possibly pinch but I ride decent pressures for my weight on 25s, so not sure. I like them but they get filthy, if you care about that. Magic eraser is okay if you're diligent.

Lewis Moon
04-21-2016, 02:18 PM
:eek:1,200 miles so far with 3 flats. Two I couldn't find the reason for, so possibly pinch but I ride decent pressures for my weight on 25s, so not sure. I like them but they get filthy, if you care about that. Magic eraser is okay if you're diligent.

Remind me to never show you any of my bikes.

jimoots
04-22-2016, 07:46 AM
It's Autumn here in Australia, I've had flats every time it's rained with the Corsa G+'s. I think maybe 1000km and 4 flats - the bike doesn't see much rain as its a fair weather race bike.

They were those "corsa flats" you get where you've got a flat from a tiny piercing and there's no debris in the tyre.

Suffice to say graphene is a gimmick. They're fast, grippy tyres but carry the same compromises as previous incarnations.

bcroslin
04-22-2016, 09:29 AM
It's Autumn here in Australia, I've had flats every time it's rained with the Corsa G+'s. I think maybe 1000km and 4 flats - the bike doesn't see much rain as its a fair weather race bike.

They were those "corsa flats" you get where you've got a flat from a tiny piercing and there's no debris in the tyre.

Suffice to say graphene is a gimmick. They're fast, grippy tyres but carry the same compromises as previous incarnations.

Damn, that's a bummer to hear. I'm in FL near the coast and there's tons of tiny shells that end up in the bike lanes along with broken glass and construction screws, etc and I've had good luck with G+ tires. I'm really hoping they're not a gimmick because of the number of flats I normally get.

Vinci
04-22-2016, 09:51 AM
Any reports about the Corsa Speed tubeless versions? Seems like those with a little sealant would take care of the little punctures.

ptourkin
04-22-2016, 11:58 AM

This makes sense. As I said, I couldn't find the reason for two of my three flats and the tube punctures were small, not a rip like a pinch flat.

adrien
04-22-2016, 12:58 PM
I've been riding them for about 100 days. Replaced the rear after a bad skid (not the tire's fault, getting used to carbon braking and pavement was uneven) and subsequent deep cut that would have retired a car tire.

New rear is at mile 350 or so, front is at mile 1500. No visible wear.

One flat: glass, shard about the size of a fingernail.

They seem to have fewer cuts than the Open Pave's, and if anything feel smoother and faster. Grip is extraordinary.

In terms of toughness, more like a GP2000 than a Gatorskin. In terms of ride and feel, fantastic -- even better than open pave.

They will remain my go-to on wider rims on the fast road bike. Not sure I'd run them in the winter.

Oh, and I waterproofed the tawny to keep it clean. Works well.

r_mutt
04-22-2016, 01:32 PM
when will they make an all-black version?

Dead Man
04-22-2016, 02:17 PM
Maybe I missed it... anybody flatted a TUBULAR yet?

marciero
05-31-2016, 10:00 AM
Maybe I missed it... anybody flatted a TUBULAR yet?

My thoughts exactly. Any updates on experiences with the Vittoria graphene tubulars? They are $124 each at World Class Cycles, though that place is not known for low prices.

ptourkin
05-31-2016, 12:37 PM
when will they make an all-black version?

They're out now. (I can't find where I read this but I definitely read it this month.)

I am now 2,000 miles into my first set, which rotates with some tubulars. I have had 4 flats - 3 were of the no see 'em can't find anything variety. I also found a long piece of wire that did not cause a flat. I've rotated back to front and the former rear is about done with some miles left on the former front.

I'm pretty happy with the experience.

marciero
05-31-2016, 01:52 PM
I'm not sure how impregnating the tread with a substance could help anything but a tubeless design. For clincher and tubular, it's the hole in the tube that is the problem, right?

Dead Man
05-31-2016, 02:16 PM
I'm not sure how impregnating the tread with a substance could help anything but a tubeless design. For clincher and tubular, it's the hole in the tube that is the problem, right?

Kinda makes you wonder why nobody has ever made a tubeless tubular

(or have they?)

ftf
05-31-2016, 02:19 PM
Kinda makes you wonder why nobody has ever made a tubeless tubular

(or have they?)

Tufo tires don't have a separate tube.

They are also the worst tires imaginable.

Furthermore they make a tubular clincher.

bcroslin
05-31-2016, 08:32 PM
Still running my set of Corsas and I've only had two flats in about 2500 miles. Both were slow leaks that I was able to ride out to a shady spot to fix. I pulled a staple out of my rear tire on Sunday with no flat and no issue. Bottom line, Corsa G+ are my new go-to tire.

oldpotatoe
06-01-2016, 06:40 AM
They're out now. (I can't find where I read this but I definitely read it this month.)

I am now 2,000 miles into my first set, which rotates with some tubulars. I have had 4 flats - 3 were of the no see 'em can't find anything variety. I also found a long piece of wire that did not cause a flat. I've rotated back to front and the former rear is about done with some miles left on the former front.

I'm pretty happy with the experience.

a suggestion..best tire in front. I wouldn't rotate back to front but other way around..front to back, new one on front. Want the best tire on front. Front blowout or fslide always hurts, back, notsomuch.

marciero
06-01-2016, 06:56 AM
a suggestion..best tire in front. I wouldn't rotate back to front but other way around..front to back, new one on front. Want the best tire on front. Front blowout or fslide always hurts, back, notsomuch.

Also the back tend to wear a flat strip in the center which would affect handling on the front. The front tend to wear evenly. I often just replace the back.

Black Dog
06-01-2016, 07:40 AM
Also the back tend to wear a flat strip in the center which would affect handling on the front. The front tend to wear evenly. I often just replace the back.

Two tires on the back for every tire on the front, in terms of service life.

ptourkin
06-01-2016, 07:54 AM
Good advice. I usually rotate a new one on but I didn't have the second pair yet.
It is aesthetically awkward with these as the older gumwalls darken considerably, but we'll get over it.

batman1425
06-01-2016, 07:57 AM
Anyone have any experience with functional size of these on wide (Hed+ or similar) rims? Trying to decide between the 23 and 25.

ptourkin
06-01-2016, 08:13 AM
Anyone have any experience with functional size of these on wide (Hed+ or similar) rims? Trying to decide between the 23 and 25.

The 25s were just a touch below 28 on Enve 2.2s (25 outer) and have widened a touch with use.

Mark McM
06-01-2016, 01:09 PM

Fronts don't wear much more evenly than rears - they don't develop the pronounced flat strips because they don't wear much at all.

Rear tires wear flat strips partially because they carry more load, but mostly because they carry drive torque. That's why rear tires that are ridden in mountains wear faster than rear tires ridden on flat roads - there is much more drive torque when climbing.

Curiously, my front tires do develop flat strips, but more slowly than my rear tires. But I also have more weight on the front wheel than is common; for most bikes/riders, about 30 - 40 percent of the total weight is on the front wheel. But when I measured the weight distributions of several of my bikes with me on them, I found that my front wheels carry about 43% of the weight.

marciero
06-01-2016, 01:35 PM
Fronts don't wear much more evenly than rears - they don't develop the pronounced flat strips because they don't wear much at all.

Rear tires wear flat strips partially because they carry more load, but mostly because they carry drive torque. That's why rear tires that are ridden in mountains wear faster than rear tires ridden on flat roads - there is much more drive torque when climbing.

Curiously, my front tires do develop flat strips, but more slowly than my rear tires. But I also have more weight on the front wheel than is common; for most bikes/riders, about 30 - 40 percent of the total weight is on the front wheel. But when I measured the weight distributions of several of my bikes with me on them, I found that my front wheels carry about 43% of the weight.

My fronts do in fact wear pretty evenly. Since drive torque is applied mostly when the bike is not leaning over-I do a lot of climbing while seated- most of the wear from that occurs in the center. The front, in comparison, spends a lot of time simply rolling on the center with minimal friction, and much less time encountering greater friction on the sides from cornering, so they tend balance.

Wear also occurs from braking, which, for me largely occurs when the bike is not leaning since I tend to brake before turns. I am guessing that your front flattening out could be due to favoring the front brake? On our tandem the front does flatten out in the center on the front, which I attribute to the much greater stopping power from the front brake.

Mark McM
06-01-2016, 02:57 PM
My fronts do in fact wear pretty evenly. Since drive torque is applied mostly when the bike is not leaning over-I do a lot of climbing while seated- most of the wear from that occurs in the center. The front, in comparison, spends a lot of time simply rolling on the center with minimal friction, and much less time encountering greater friction on the sides from cornering, so they tend balance.

Wear also occurs from braking, which, for me largely occurs when the bike is not leaning since I tend to brake before turns. I am guessing that your front flattening out could be due to favoring the front brake? On our tandem the front does flatten out in the center on the front, which I attribute to the much greater stopping power from the front brake.

Of course I favor the front brakes, since it has the most stopping power available on any (road) bike. But I suspect that the reason that your tandem gets the flat strip is a combination of front braking (if you do a lot of descents), and that it has a more even front/rear distribution than a typical single bike.

Speaking of which, I've heard many people talk about front/rear weight distribution on a bike, but I've only rarely heard of anyone actually measuring it. I've sometimes heard of the "ideal" weight distribution being 40/60 F/R, or sometimes 45/55 F/R, but from what I have read from those who have actually gone and measured it, on most (single) road bikes it is more typically about 35/65. Anybody else actually measured their front/rear weight distribution?

ptourkin
06-01-2016, 03:41 PM

Enve 2.2 (25mm outer)

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p250/cecilhayduke/20160601_133944.jpg

OtayBW
06-01-2016, 03:51 PM
25 mm (Corsa G+) on an Ardennes FR (23 mm rim width).

bcroslin
06-03-2016, 10:37 AM
Was just swapping the Vittoria Corsa G+ tires off my C-dale and I found this still embedded from last nights ride. 2500+ miles and flat protection still going strong.

roguedog
06-18-2016, 09:49 AM
Just put on a Corsa 25 on my bike and rode it.

Got the weirdest feeling from riding it. I guess these puppies are fast cuz it felt like they were wanting to go faster than my front wheel which still has the older Vittoria Paves from approx 2006.

Need to ride more to see how I like but didn't put the other 25 on because I'm not sure if I can get the 25s off in case of flat. I've got Pacenti 23s front n back. I might go get me some 23s or just get me some C24s or C35s :D

Anyway, they definitely feel fast and it was kinda a weird, cool feeling.

stephenmarklay
06-18-2016, 11:47 AM
Was just swapping the Vittoria Corsa G+ tires off my C-dale and I found this still embedded from last nights ride. 2500+ miles and flat protection still going strong.

Impressive.

Tickdoc
06-18-2016, 11:58 AM
Both impressive and encouraging. I got a little cut on mine on the first ride and thought, oh, maybe these won't hold up Too well. No flats, just one little cut but man are they quick!

Dead Man
06-18-2016, 12:15 PM
Sitting here not riding when I should be in the middle of an 80 mile ride because of a cut pavé, seriously hoping these new ones are all they are hyped up to be.

jtakeda
06-18-2016, 12:17 PM
I've yet to try them but my friend bought a pair and put them on his bike 2 weeks ago.

Saw him on Thursday and said he got a flat.

wallymann
06-18-2016, 01:09 PM

this.

bcroslin
06-18-2016, 01:23 PM
I'm running 25mm G+ Roubaixs on my new bike and I love them. They are my new go-to tire.

Sierra
06-18-2016, 08:11 PM
There seems to be a lot of love for Vittoria on this forum. Have to say that I've not been impressed with their wares in the past, much preferring to ride Michelins, which hardly get a soto voce mention here (or seem not to). However, these new pneumatic wonders intrigue me greatly. I might pick up a pair and see what I think.

roguedog
06-18-2016, 11:05 PM
thanks, wallyman. ergh.. that means i gotta get these things off the pacenti's. :crap::crap:

huh.. and.. how is "best" judged or determined?

this.

oldpotatoe
06-19-2016, 07:06 AM
thanks, wallyman. ergh.. that means i gotta get these things off the pacenti's. :crap::crap:

huh.. and.. how is "best" judged or determined?

Any wear or 'squaring', that goes in back, round, uncut, nice tread?-front.

roguedog
06-19-2016, 08:29 AM
Thanks, Wally & OP, for teaching me something. Glad I noted the weirdness.

Tickdoc
06-23-2016, 07:39 AM
not truly flat proof yet.

on the last leg of my wed night ride, I noticed a shredded car tire on the side of the road I was riding. Lots of beading cable strewn about.

Finished my ride fine, but when I was putting bike up, front was flat as Kiera Knightly. :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/16DC204C-3843-49D5-8941-9E3157C1FE31_zpsg0dxffci.jpg

On a side note, am loving these cannonade branded tubes. Ive been buying spec tubes locally for years in my "support the local bike shop for what I can" quest, but this timeI ordered a six pack of 60mm valve no-names super cheap from art's cyclery.

The valve stems are rubberized so no rattling around in the valve hole, and the best part is they come vacuum wrapped for easy on bike storage.

It's the little things, every time.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/B7C1321B-7F9E-4687-A38A-90DF60C66A12_zpsxt3b5xg6.jpg

ANAO
06-23-2016, 07:45 AM
On a side note, am loving these cannonade branded tubes. Ive been buying spec tubes locally for years in my "support the local bike shop for what I can" quest, but this timeI ordered a six pack of 60mm valve no-names super cheap from art's cyclery.

The valve stems are rubberized so no rattling around in the valve hole, and the best part is they come vacuum wrapped for easy on bike storage.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/B7C1321B-7F9E-4687-A38A-90DF60C66A12_zpsxt3b5xg6.jpg

Are these the tubes?

http://www.artscyclery.com/descpage-ACIT5P76085.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwka67BRCk6a7_h_7Pui8 SJABcMkWRDhxeFMlpJnwo6plaaUSkLYgzKVjdrYUBlhzCxWs6R RoCVcLw_wcB

Tickdoc
06-23-2016, 07:53 AM
Are these the tubes?

http://www.artscyclery.com/descpage-ACIT5P76085.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwka67BRCk6a7_h_7Pui8 SJABcMkWRDhxeFMlpJnwo6plaaUSkLYgzKVjdrYUBlhzCxWs6R RoCVcLw_wcB

yes, those are them. They don't say they are cannonade branded, but they are.

Nooch
07-05-2016, 10:23 AM
folks, how true to size have you found these running?

crossjunkee
07-05-2016, 10:57 AM
Has anybody tried the XC tire? I've had good luck with Specialized tires, but these look pretty nice!

http://www.artscyclery.com/Vittoria_Mezcal_G_29_Tire_/descpage-VTMZG9.html

Hank Scorpio
08-23-2016, 07:59 PM
Mine were pretty sweet riding until tonight.

bcroslin
08-23-2016, 08:04 PM

ouch.

I'm happy to report my Rubinos are still going strong.

beeatnik
08-23-2016, 11:36 PM

Those suckers are heavy.

ripvanrando
08-24-2016, 12:58 PM

23 mm Corsa G+ TLR tubeless mounted on FLO60 carbon pressured to 100 psi measure between 24.5 mm and 25.0 mm

Only about 100 miles on bumpy chip sealed roads but these are the fastest tires I've ever run

fignon's barber
08-25-2016, 07:17 AM
I've put about 700 miles on a pair of corsa G+ 25mm with the new shamal c17 wheels (23mm rim outside width). These tires run extremely large, with very soft sidewall as well. They measure 27mm wide, but the soft sidewall makes them feel too floppy for me. Nice cushioned ride, but out of the saddle "closing gap" effort feel like a cyclocross tire. Maybe 23mm would be better.

spookyload
08-27-2016, 03:38 AM
I have now done two 24 hour races, a double century with gravel roads and a local century as well on my Bora Ultra 35s with G+ 25mm tires. They measure out to 26.2 btw. No visible tread wear on the rear or front. I ride them at 95 psi front and rear and they float up climbs. Between the CULT bearings and these tires, I feel like I am on a new bike when I ride them. Very happy. I have a spare G+ that has been stretching for no reason, and my folded pave spare that has just hung under my saddle for no reason as well. Looking at the mescal g+ for the MTB now. Did I mention I love the old school tan wall tires on the bora's?

oldpotatoe
08-27-2016, 05:43 AM
I have now done two 24 hour races, a double century with gravel roads and a local century as well on my Bora Ultra 35s with G+ 25mm tires. They measure out to 26.2 btw. No visible tread wear on the rear or front. I ride them at 95 psi front and rear and they float up climbs. Between the CULT bearings and these tires, I feel like I am on a new bike when I ride them. Very happy. I have a spare G+ that has been stretching for no reason, and my folded pave spare that has just hung under my saddle for no reason as well. Looking at the mescal g+ for the MTB now. Did I mention I love the old school tan wall tires on the bora's?

But, but, but, how could you possibly do a gravel ride w/o disc brakes, tapered headtube, thru-axles, 1by and great, big, fat tires??:D:D

Just kidding..I rode on a really nice dirt road out of Lyons the other day..right turn at the farm with the big farmer statue with the busted cowboy hat..fun stuff. :D Vittoria Corsa Elite-25s..

stephenmarklay
08-27-2016, 06:05 AM

I would try and repair that. I am not sure it would work but I would at least try. This does not mean you should. I don’t want to be responsible for your early death :)

stephenmarklay
08-27-2016, 06:08 AM

Your in the shape I want to be. Maybe its the tires!

CSKeller
09-11-2016, 12:59 AM
Does anyone have the true measurements of the 23 and 25 Vittoria Corsa G+ tubulars?

My '04 Look KX Light can handle Vittoria Pave CX 25s but the Corsa CX 25s will not work on the front. Seems like the old Corsa CXs are a bit bigger than the old Paves.

I'm wondering what size do I need to get for the new Corsa G+ tubulars. I know the easy answer is to just get 23s but I prefer 25s.

Thanks so much!!

ripvanrando
09-11-2016, 04:14 AM

Big. Really big.

I have about 500 miles now on the Vittoria Corsa G+ clinchers in 25 mm mounted on HED Belgium plus rims. They measure 29 mm. They are chubby but they are one glorious ride. The rear tread almost looks new whereas the older Corsa CX would have been quite worn on the rear by now. So far, I am really, really impressed with these tires.

I now have around 150 miles on the 23 mm Corsa speed TLR tubeless mounted on Flo60 carbon rims. They now measure 24.8 mm.

wildboar
09-11-2016, 05:03 AM
Those fatass rims really seem to make these clinchers balloon up.

My 28's measure just a bit over 27 on DT RR440.

ripvanrando
09-11-2016, 05:32 AM

Thanks for that data.

I have an older set of Zipp 404 that tires run skinnier. I'd like to run 28 mm......given your measurements, I think I'll spring for a set of 28 mm Corsa. You aren't talking about the Rubinos, are you?

juanj
09-11-2016, 10:01 AM

Yes, this is great information re: fit on regular width rims. I just ordered 28's for my RR440's as well. I'm curious, what fork are you running? Seems that on narrower rims, the 28mm tires will be "taller."