PDA

View Full Version : That dreaded section of road!

Len J
05-13-2006, 04:27 PM
For as long as I've been riding, it seems like there are always a handful of sections of road that I hate riding on. No I'm not talking about those with killer traffic and such, rather, it's those sections of road that, no matter which way the prevailing wind is blowing are always into a headwind (seemingly no matter which direction you are going in).....those sections that always seem like a slog....always harder. When I realize that i need to go through them, I always dread them. I hit one of them today. A false flat uphill for about 3/4 mile into a headwind, wide open, no scenery, utterly bland. And I'm on a fixie.

Today I just decidied to get it over with as soon as possible, and just powered thru it.......it still suc#ed!. There are 2 of these dreaded holes in the universe in my area......the other one is about 2 1/2 miles long......I hate both of them.

It's funny how one section of road can get in your head like that.

Len

Fixed
05-13-2006, 04:30 PM
bro i.m.h.o. it's a state on mind ... can be the best place for you if you look at it that way .
cheers

Ray
05-13-2006, 04:47 PM
I have a couple of those too, fortunately not too long. But there are a couple of others on my regular routes, one in particular, that are just the opposite. No matter which way the wind is blowing or how much I'm blowing on a bad day, I always feel great on them. The one in particular is after a long mellow climb that I can spin up or power up depending on how I feel, and it always makes me feel like I'm a better climber than I am. Then at the top, there's a couple of miles that looks like its flat to slightly uphill, past some beautiful farms, but it's actually slightly downhill. I think. I mean, its gotta be because there's no way I ride that fast on the flats and uphills. And I always fly on that section. Always makes me feel like a better cyclist. And its fun.

-Ray

znfdl
05-13-2006, 04:50 PM
One of my least favorite roads atleast has the fitting name of "Dismal Hollow". This wonderful piece of road has an uphill whch is not bad, but goes past a large Turkey Coop. In the middle of a Virginia summer the turkey coop is ahem, quite ripe.

rePhil
05-13-2006, 04:51 PM
But in my case it's the wind that gets me. More often than not I get a strong seabreeze headwind off the Gulf for my last 4.5 miles of my 11 mile commute To add insult it's a humid wind too.Not scenic, and filled with folks trying to get home for dinnertime. All this after being on my feet all day dealing with special needs kids. BUT, what I really dislike is a tailwind ! There is something about the suffering I enjoy.

dscglf5350
05-13-2006, 05:34 PM
I have 1 ride that goes by several farms and reeks no matter where the wind is going .since I am a large rider there a few steep climbs in the local bike rally's that take all I got to get over them.Its better not knowing whats coming up :p

CNY rider
05-13-2006, 07:10 PM
There's a valley here, with beautiful roads and scenery, that I avoid like the plague because of the headwinds. Luckily there's lot of other nice places to ride. The valley runs north/south, and there are tall hills on the east and west side. You ride down one side of the valley and up the other; on both sides you are pretty close in to the sides of the hills.

Somehow, the hills seem to funnel wind down the sides so that no matter which direction you ride the loop, you will face a headwind in both directions. I know that seems impossible but it's happened so many times I have no other explanation. I've gone so far as to check the forecasted wind direction, and plan my route accordingly but the valley seems to create it's own airfow pattern. Weird.

Fixed
05-13-2006, 08:54 PM
But in my case it's the wind that gets me. More often than not I get a strong seabreeze headwind off the Gulf for my last 4.5 miles of my 11 mile commute To add insult it's a humid wind too.Not scenic, and filled with folks trying to get home for dinnertime. All this after being on my feet all day dealing with special needs kids. BUT, what I really dislike is a tailwind ! There is something about the suffering I enjoy.
bro the wind is a flatlander 's mountain i.m.h.o. that the way i look at it
cheers