PDA

View Full Version : Campy Ultra Torque BB question - help needed

SlackMan
09-09-2015, 07:17 PM
Well, what have I done?! I bought the pictured crankset and bottom bracket. When it arrived today, I realized the cups don't fit my regular English threaded BB shell. Do I just need to get new BB cups, or will this crank not fit? Thanks for any advice.

FlashUNC
09-09-2015, 07:22 PM
Those cranks will fit just fine. Just need to order some threaded cups, either English or Italian. Those look to be Press Fit cups of some sort.

SlackMan
09-09-2015, 07:25 PM
Those cranks will fit just fine. Just need to order some threaded cups, either English or Italian. Those look to be Press Fit cups of some sort.

Thanks. I see that there are Super Record threaded cups and Record/Chorus ones (that mostly seem like different colors). Given the crank is SR, do I necessarily need the SR cups?

wallymann
09-09-2015, 07:57 PM
Given the crank is SR, do I necessarily need the SR cups?

any UT-compatible BB cups will work as long as the cups fits your frame.

SlackMan
09-09-2015, 08:11 PM
Great. Thanks for the replies! That's one of the great things about this forum.

FlashUNC
09-09-2015, 08:26 PM
Grease is your friend with these, and don't forget the wavy washer and locking clip.

SlackMan
09-09-2015, 08:30 PM
Grease is your friend with these, and don't forget the wavy washer and locking clip.

These have the CULT ceramic bearings. My understand is that putting grease (vs. just light oil) reduces them to function just like standard bearings.

Related issue: I can spin the bearing attached to the drive side with a "finger snap" and it continues spinning for a bit. When I spin the bearing on the non-drive side, it spins but stops sooner. Is that normal?

FlashUNC
09-09-2015, 08:44 PM
These have the CULT ceramic bearings. My understand is that putting grease (vs. just light oil) reduces them to function just like standard bearings.

Related issue: I can spin the bearing attached to the drive side with a "finger snap" and it continues spinning for a bit. When I spin the bearing on the non-drive side, it spins but stops sooner. Is that normal?

Oh I meant on the cups specifically. The ceramic bearings you don't want to go too nuts with the grease.

You're fine. Give them a visual inspection before you install them, but as long as they spin smooth, you should be fine.

SlackMan
09-09-2015, 08:49 PM
Thanks, Flash! Do do you mean grease on the threads of the cups, or inside the cups where the bearings sit?

Also, do you know whether it is really true that the CULT bearings last practically forever, and just need period oil to bind and flush out impurities?

FlashUNC
09-09-2015, 10:02 PM
Thanks, Flash! Do do you mean grease on the threads of the cups, or inside the cups where the bearings sit?

Also, do you know whether it is really true that the CULT bearings last practically forever, and just need period oil to bind and flush out impurities?

Threads of the cups.

Ceramic can last a good long time, but its like anything else. Maintenance and upkeep will help prolong it.

oldpotatoe
09-10-2015, 06:02 AM
Thanks. I see that there are Super Record threaded cups and Record/Chorus ones (that mostly seem like different colors). Given the crank is SR, do I necessarily need the SR cups?

SR cups have no seals, Record and Fulcrum cups do..use those..and install with lotsa grease..in the BB shell, in the cups, on the hirth fitting, bolt threads..use the wavy washer(LH side) and the wee clip(RH side)...And even with 'Cult', grease as it acts as a good barrier to keep junk out. These are ceramic balls but steel(hardened but still steel) bearings races so junk in there, the steel, gets pitted easily with very hard ceramic balls.

SlackMan
09-10-2015, 07:38 AM
SR cups have no seals, Record and Fulcrum cups do..use those..and install with lotsa grease..in the BB shell, in the cups, on the hirth fitting, bolt threads..use the wavy washer(LH side) and the wee clip(RH side)...And even with 'Cult', grease as it acts as a good barrier to keep junk out. These are ceramic balls but steel(hardened but still steel) bearings races so junk in there, the steel, gets pitted easily with very hard ceramic balls.

Thanks, sounds like great advice. One clarification: After installing everything, does the grease inside the cups make its way inside the bearings? Or am I envisioning a much thicker (too thick) layer of grease inside the cups than you are?

oldpotatoe
09-10-2015, 07:55 AM
Thanks, sounds like great advice. One clarification: After installing everything, does the grease inside the cups make its way inside the bearings? Or am I envisioning a much thicker (too thick) layer of grease inside the cups than you are?

It will but grease doesn't hurt anything, even on ceramic/hybrid bearings. Too much grease isn't possible. It oozes out, makes for a great seal. Same for hubs. Why older Campagnolo thick BB cups had threaded Or 'rifled' holes where the spindle went thru, to channel grease there, acting as a seal.